This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2014 Program 5: Shostakovich Trilogy

I was hoping to gain some insight into the casting from this video, but I think things may well have changed since these earlier rehearsals took place. I'm sure you will be seeing Messmer dance, but exactly what role - who knows?

Messmer had the same role in Symphony no. 9 at ABT.

In this interview with Simone (done when she returned to NY during SFB's October performances), she states that she was learning roles in all three movements of the piece. Of course, she may not dance all three - we'll know very soon. I have been enjoying her dancing - unfortunately I missed her Firebird.

http://www.vogue.com/culture/article/second-act-simone-messmer-returns-to-the-new-york-stage-with-sf-ballet/#1

I was hoping to gain some insight into the casting from this video, but I think things may well have changed since these earlier rehearsals took place. I'm sure you will be seeing Messmer dance, but exactly what role - who knows?

In this interview with Simone (done when she returned to NY during SFB's October performances), she states that she was learning roles in all three movements of the piece. Of course, she may not dance all three - we'll know very soon. I have been enjoying her dancing - unfortunately I missed her Firebird.

Messmer had the same role in Symphony no. 9 at ABT.

http://www.vogue.com/culture/article/second-act-simone-messmer-returns-to-the-new-york-stage-with-sf-ballet/#1

Tomasson has, so far, given Messmer more than one soloist role in a number of ballets - so she is getting dance time. I think we can expect to see her in a couple of different roles in the Shostakovich as well. Of course you have to be willing to go on different nights to be able to see different casts, and not everyone can do that.

I'm not sure if Program 5 is likely to sell out - it may be possible to wait until casting has been posted to get a somewhat decent seat.