• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

I went to the Washington DC Mariinsky Swan Lake's in Feb of this year.  Every performance was sold out, even though none of the Big Guns (Lopatkina, Kondaurova, Vishneva, Tereshkina) performed.

In contrast, when the Mariinsky brought Ratmansky's Cinderella a few years ago to DC, they were giving out discount offers to unload unsold tickets.  

#32 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

Ekaterina will be very pleased upon learning that in the U.S she is counted among "the Big Guns".

#33 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,003 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

Kondaurova is a great favorite with US audiences. Unfortunately, not all Bolshoi and Mariinsky dancers we fall in love with here get the same respect as at home, but many of us are happy that she's risen.

#34 sasark

sasark

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

... her last «Swan Lake» showed something I did not expect and wasn't ready for, something we haven't been seeing on the ballet stages for ages, not in terms of "pyrotechnics" — in terms of the profundity of feeling expressed in the utmost delicate and nuanced manner entirely within the idiom of classical dance. Last Sunday she embodied the unhappiness and fragility of Odette as I can't recall ever seeing. Her "white acts" were not about "beautiful lines" but about vulnerable nobility of feeling and suffering. I still can't find proper words for what I saw on Sunday, the experience was so overwhelming and transforming. Now I would risk saying, it affected me more than seeing Ulyana Lopatkina at the height of her artistic powers in the same role.

I already wanted to see her in this role, and now I am dying to!

#35 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:11 AM

I sat in the first box to the left of the coaches' box for every performance I attended, and it was interesting that Kondaurova sat in the coaches' box many times while I was there. I can't say she sat there every night, but I saw her quite often. I figured she was learning the role of Marguerite, but then she sat there for possibly all 3 Bayaderes, a role she has danced many times to my knowledge. 

I actually think she has a very strong on-stage personality so she is best at things like Street Dancer, Carmen, Odile, Myrthe, and Medora. If I were in charge of casting I would never cast her as Giselle, for example. But maybe she would surprise me and would be able to be "gentle." I like her, so I don't mean this as a criticism. I just think she is a very strong personality which actually limits her in the roles she fits (my personal opinion). 

But for her fans, in person she looks very glamorous without seeming to try!!! Her style is very European and someone that makes heads turn. She is someone you do not miss in a crowd. 

#36 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

The official Mariinsky tour poster on the wall of the Royal Opera House (Yulia Stepanova has become the "face" of the tour)

GHtB6JdMVNA.jpg

#37 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

Casting for early August at the Mariinsky theatre is up, meaning we can see who will surely NOT be in London.

David Zaleyev, Elena Yevseyeva and Sofya Ivanova-Skoblikova all have Swan Lake pas de trois in their repertoire, but won't be dancing on the tour.

Novikova and Kolegova seem to be the ones who have to guard the home theatre, but it's nice that they get to dance a little more now. (Also, Oksana Bondareva and Kristina Shapran get to dance lead roles, and there also is the guest performance by Veronika Part)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):