This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

July - Aug 2014 at the Royal Opera House

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#16 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:15 AM

I don't think it's got anything to do with British kindness and good manners; it's got to do with the fact that the ROH finds it fairly easy to resell tickets, especially for something like the Mariinsky. A lot of tourists in London go to CoventGarden just to say they've been to Covent Garden; they may not even be ballet fans.

#17 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

I think the Royal Opera House is trying to keep a lid on price speculation and scalpers. http://www.roh.org.u...ficial-channels The alternative is some of the craziness that takes place on StubHub. It makes life much easier for everyone, and I wish more opera houses would adopt the practice. I wonder how much they really make by reselling donated tickets anyway. I'm guessing it's not a whole lot. Besides, the ROH re-sale policy applies to sold-out shows. In other words, it would be a moot point for most ABT or Metropolitan Opera performances.

I doubt many tourists stand on line for returned tickets at the Royal Opera House. It requires a significant investment of time, the tickets aren't cheap, and there isn't much tourist-worthiness in the plain white wall next to the returns queue. Sadly I'm not a frequent visitor to the Royal Opera House, but I haven't witnessed the telltale half-time exodus of casual tourists during my visits to Covent Garden.

#18 Amour

Amour

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

I doubt many tourists stand on line for returned tickets at the Royal Opera House. It requires a significant investment of time, the tickets aren't cheap, and there isn't much tourist-worthiness in the plain white wall next to the returns queue.

I think the ROH simply put the tickets back up on their website so, as I did, tourists can simply select their tickets online, no investment of time necessary (although I do wonder whether the online prices are higher).

#19 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

I was thinking more of the people who line up the morning of a show in the hopes of getting a returned ticket. Some of them will stand there for hours, and tourists don't have the time to spend on that. In my case I was holding on to all of my tickets in case of cast changes and returned a few of them on the performance day. I doubt those tickets went back on sale online (because when I asked how I'd be able to learn whether the tickets had resold, I wasn't told to go online to check the seats), but it's very likely they were bought by the people lined up at the box office. 

Truly, had I liked all the casts, I would have gone to see all the shows.

#20 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

Esina seems to be out of the tour. Yulia Stepanova takes her place for the sold-out performance with Xander Parish. Stepanova's performance on the 5th of August has been changed to Alina Somova.

#21 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

I returned a Bayadere ticket to ROH on the day of a show last year and the box office guy said when he took it, essentially, "let's get this right back into our inventory so that people can buy it online". So a ticket that is returned goes back on sale both online and in person at the box office. My comment about tourists was in reference to how easy the ROH finds it to sell out. They have a tourist market in addition to the ballet lover market. Vienna, Paris, Sydney, and of course the Bolshoi and Mariinsky enjoy the same phenomenon. The Birmingham Hippodrome,e.g. does not!

#22 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

Esina seems to be out of the tour. Yulia Stepanova takes her place for the sold-out performance with Xander Parish. Stepanova's performance on the 5th of August has been changed to Alina Somova.

Finally it has been announced. I have been worrying for the last several days why the change has not been announced yet. In a characteristic move Fateev took away Stepanova's own «Swan Lake» from her. It is obvious that that was going to be a hit after her «Lake» with Parish. According to what I heard London critics are literally anxious to see Stepanova on stage.  In London you will see 33 of those Swans on stage at once.

A few days ago I was able to buy a lonely returned ticket for the Parish (and as I already knew, Stepanova) «Swan Lake». A God sent gift.

#23 Amour

Amour

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

These casting changes are getting ridiculous. I deliberately bought a SL for Steoanova and now I have to see Somova (who I don't hate but don't love, either). I won't be in town for the SL with Parrish and except for returns (lucky you, Mathilde) it's sold out. I guess I'll just have to resign myself to seeing whoever they put on stage (I expect these changes to keep coming). I think we are lucky here that there seem to be few changes in the Bolshoi casting with the exception of one principal (Shipulina out). However, with Shapran and Bondareva now at the Mariinsky and Osipova essentially double booked with the ROH, the Mikhailovsky tour casting is in grave doubt.

#24 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

With Mariinsky's «Swan Lake» I would go to every single show, whoever dances the principal parts. Those 32 Swans are one of the most gorgeous sights you can have on the ballet stage. Unless you have really good seats I am not sure how much of the finesse Stepanova brings with her uniquely expressive upper body you would be able to see anyway.

#25 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:10 AM

Ik also bought (really good!) tickets to see Stepanova. I'm not unhappy with Alina Somova, but would've preferred to see Stepanova.
But, as you say, I do expect the corps de ballet to be the real star of the evening.

#26 Lynette H

Lynette H

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:21 AM

Ticket sales for the Mariinsky engagement at the ROH seem surprisingly slow.  The Firebird mixed bill is close to sold out as are a couple of the Swan Lakes, but there is still good availability for a number of performances (more than 100 seats available showing on the web site for many dates at present).  This is quite a surprise, unlike previous visits.

#27 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

Given that the start of the tour is two weeks away, it is surprising to see so many tickets available, though most of the unsold seats are up in the Amphitheatre. Does the Mariinsky lack for familiar names? Are people worried that more cast changes may be coming? (I would think that Tereshkina's Swan Lake on August 13 would be an easy sell, but by the late stages of a tour, original casting has often gone out the window.) Are audiences so fond of the Royal Ballet's own productions that Lavrovsky's Romeo & Juliet, Balanchine's Midsummer Night's Dream and Ratmansky's Cinderella are of little interest to them?

#28 Amy

Amy

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

Are audiences so fond of the Royal Ballet's own productions that Lavrovsky's Romeo & Juliet, Balanchine's Midsummer Night's Dream and Ratmansky's Cinderella are of little interest to them?

Probably yeah, but to be honest, what's there to like about Ratmansky's Cinderella? I was meant to go and see it with Maria Shirinkina and Vladimir Shklyarov, but because she's now on maternity leave, that's not going to happen now. I was only going for the dancers, not the production.

#29 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

Does the Mariinsky lack for familiar names? Are people worried that more cast changes may be coming?

If the names of Lopatkina and Vishneva are not considered "familiar", then which are?

Two years ago Mariinsky came to California with a block of «Swan Lakes». Not a single one of the 6 I saw was sold out. The principals were Kondaurova, Skoryk and Kolegova (Stepanova was dancing one of the four Big Swans and Spanish Dance). Up to the beginning of each show one still could buy tickets for any one of them. From California Fateev went to Washington, D.C., with just Ratmansky's «Cinderella», nothing else. That was an unforgivable blunder: scores who came to see the "great ballet company" were irritated, many were leaving during the intermission. Compared to that the repertoire of the London tour must be considered attractive.

#30 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

If the names of Lopatkina and Vishneva are not considered "familiar", then which are?

I would have thought so too, but many tickets for Lopatkina's Titania remain unsold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):