This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT fall season 2014October 22-November 2, 2014

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#91 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:45 AM

Thanks Rose1186. It is my favorite Raymonda Variation, Wish i could have seen Devon danced it.

#92 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:02 AM

Out of curiousity, who were the soloists for the Herrera- Stearns Raymonda cast.  Did they use the same people from the other two casts or were there different soloists?

#93 Rose1186

Rose1186

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:56 AM

Same people - Nicole Graniero and Luciana Paris, Cassandra Trenary and Devon Teuscher.  

P.S. I thought Stearns was awesome in Raymonda.  Especially in comparison, because I thought Whiteside and Hammoudi were so NOT awesome in it.  Whereas Whiteside and Hammoudi made the variation look like the most difficult and exhausting thing they've ever danced, Stearns soared through the huge leaps and jumps and made it look so much more effortless.    

#94 MJ

MJ

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

Why was the back half of the Playbill all about NYCB? It had the NYCB winter season and all the NYCB donors listed. Did NYCB pay for all the advertising or is it some NYS theater house rule?

#95 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:22 AM

Why was the back half of the Playbill all about NYCB? It had the NYCB winter season and all the NYCB donors listed. Did NYCB pay for all the advertising or is it some NYS theater house rule?

I noticed that too MJ.  I just figured that ABT was doing it on the cheap, since it was just a 2 week season, and had their performance information inserted into pre-existing NYCB programs.  It would have saved a lot of time & money.

#96 MJ

MJ

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:25 PM

Playbill has been screwing up the Ballet 'bills royally. I'm not a printer, but I think you gotta run everything through a printer and stapler at the same time. I don't think it would make sense to keep old parts of playbills.

I assume it is:

Print

Staple and fold 

Cut

Box it up

Perhaps they added the ABT to the end of the NYCB season print run to save some money. They may have been printed weeks in advance.

#97 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

Perhaps they added the ABT to the end of the NYCB season print run to save some money. They may have been printed weeks in advance.

That looks to be pretty much what they did.  The first and last 24 pages of the ABT program I'm looking at (including the inside of the front and back covers) is where all the advertising is, as well as the little "read me at intermission" featurettes --  i.e., they are essentially "prepackaged" pages that could in theory be used for any ballet audience. The 24 page ABT section of the program, which includes program information as well as ABT staff and donor information -- but no advertising -- has been inserted in the center of the program, between the first 24 and last 24 pages. As it happens, the NYCB and Lincoln Center donor pages take up 12 of the last 24 pages. I'm guessing that it was easier and / or cheaper retain those 48 prepackaged pages than to print a whole new run without them, especially if ads in the front half of the book sell at a premium. 

Playbill contracts with presenters / theaters to produce programs for events. If I'm not mistaken, the presenter doesn't pay for the Playbill programs that handed are out during an event -- Playbill does. (I can't remember if presenters get a cut or not as part of the contract.) Playbill recoups the cost of production, printing and distribution from its ad revenue. ABT may not have had much say over what was in the program (other than its own info, of course). 

Here's a link to Playbill's ad rate card, for whatever interest it may have.

#98 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:19 PM

Here's a link to Playbill's ad rate card, for whatever interest it may have.

Oh, major information -- I didn't realize they had west coast outlets!

This includes significant information about their ad rates -- fascinating...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):