This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT fall season 2014

ABT will be doing T&V, Pillar of Fire, & Push at Kenn Cen, and in Chicago Bach Partita, Sinatra Suite, Clark Tippet’s Some Assembly Required, and Fancy Free. So I assume all or some of them will make appearance at the State Theater.

I love Lilac Garden and have been waiting for a revival.

I'm guessing an official announcement re the Fall season will come by mid July, with tickets on sale shortly thereafter (but never any casting until at least Sept!). They don't want to cut into the Met ticket sales by announcing plans for the fall season before the current Met season ends.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/07/new-scarlett-work-among-highlights-of-ballet-theater-season/?ref=arts#

Here's a link to the NY Times re the fall season at the Koch. No Push Comes To Shove mentioned for the Fall Season.

Hallberg will appear for the fall season. First time in a number of years.

If Hallberg were to appear with ABT for the Nutcracker season at BAM, that would be enough to motivate me for a return visit. He and Murphy were sublime together in Nutcracker.

Official release:

2014 FALL SEASON AT THE DAVID H. KOCH THEATER,

OCTOBER 22-NOVEMBER 2,

TO LAUNCH AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S

75TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION

WORLD PREMIERE BY LIAM SCARLETT AND NEW PRODUCTION OF RAYMONDA DIVERTISSEMENTS STAGED BY

KEVIN MCKENZIE AND IRINA KOLPAKOVA TO HIGHLIGHT SEASON

BOX OFFICE OPENS MONDAY, JULY 14

A World Premiere work by choreographer Liam Scarlett and a new production of Raymonda Divertissements will highlight American Ballet Theatre’s annual Fall season at the David H. Koch Theater, October 22–November 2, 2014. It was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

The Fall season officially kicks-off American Ballet Theatre’s 75th Anniversary celebration. ABT’s 75th Anniversary performances, which extend through December 2015, will feature works by choreographers most closely associated with ABT, including Agnes de Mille, Antony Tudor, Michel Fokine, Frederick Ashton, Léonide Massine, Jerome Robbins, Twyla Tharp and Alexei Ratmansky. These works will serve to showcase the Company’s wide-ranging style, historic legacy and continuing innovation. Special anniversary events commemorating the Company’s history will be outlined in upcoming announcements.

Principal Dancers for the engagement include Isabella Boylston, Paloma Herrera, Julie Kent, Gillian Murphy, Veronika Part, Xiomara Reyes, Hee Seo, Herman Cornejo, Marcelo Gomes, David Hallberg, Daniil Simkin, Cory Stearns and James Whiteside.

WORLD PREMIERES AND OPENING NIGHT GALA

A World Premiere by Liam Scarlett will anchor American Ballet Theatre’s Opening Night Gala on October 22 at 6:30 P.M. Scarlett’s new work, his first for the Company, will be given six performances during the Fall season. The Opening Night program will also feature Christopher Wheeldon’s Thirteen Diversions and a special 10th anniversary performance by students of the ABT Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School, choreographed by ABT Artist in Residence Alexei Ratmansky.

CLINIQUE is the Lead Sponsor of American Ballet Theatre’s Opening Night Fall Gala. LANVIN and Piaget are Supporting Sponsors of ABT’s Fall Gala.

Raymonda Divertissements, staged by Kevin McKenzie and Irina Kolpakova after Marius Petipa, will be given its World Premiere on Thursday evening, October 23 at the Koch Theater. Set to the music of Alexander Glazunov, Raymonda Divertissements will receive five performances during the Fall season.

HISTORIC WORKS

Antony Tudor and Jerome Robbins, choreographers whose contributions to American Ballet Theatre have left a lasting impact on the Company’s legacy, will both be represented during the Fall season. Jardin aux Lilas, choreographed by Tudor for Ballet Rambert in 1936, entered the repertory of Ballet Theatre on January 15, 1940. Set to music by Ernest Chausson, Jardin aux Lilas features sets and costumes by Peter Cazalet. The ballet will be given three performances during the Koch Theater season beginning Thursday evening, October 23. Amanda McKerrow and John Gardner will stage the production for ABT.

Jerome Robbins’ Fancy Free, the story of three sailors on shore leave in New York City during World War II, will receive three performances during ABT’s Fall season beginning Thursday evening, October 23. Set to a score by Leonard Bernstein, Fancy Free features scenery by Oliver Smith, costumes by Kermit Love and lighting by Jennifer Tipton after original designs by Nananne Porcher. Robbins’ work received its World Premiere by American Ballet Theatre on April 18, 1944 at the Metropolitan Opera House. Fancy Free is staged for ABT by Jean-Pierre Frohlich.

REVIVAL

Jiří Kylián’s Sinfonietta, last performed by American Ballet Theatre in 2005, will be given its Revival premiere on Friday evening, October 24. Set to music by Leoš Janáček, Sinfonietta has scenery and costumes by Walter Nobbe and lighting by Kees Tjebbes. The ballet was given its World Premiere by the Netherlands Dance Theater in Charleston, South Carolina in June 1978 and received its ABT Company Premiere at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC in January 1991. The revival of Sinfonietta will be staged by Patrick Delcroix. ABT will give six performances of the ballet during the Fall season

RETURNING REPERTORY

Twyla Tharp’s Bach Partita, which received its Revival Premiere last season, will be given three performances at the David H. Koch Theater beginning Wednesday evening, October 29. Set to Johann Sebastian Bach’s Partita No. 2 in D minor for solo violin, the ballet features costumes by Santo Loquasto and lighting by Jennifer Tipton. Bach Partita received its World Premiere by American Ballet Theatre at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. in December 1983. The ballet has been staged for ABT by Susan Jones.

Alexei Ratmansky’s Seven Sonatas will be given four performances during the Fall season beginning Saturday, October 25, matinee. Set to keyboard sonatas by Domenico Scarlatti, Seven Sonatas features costumes by Holly Hynes and lighting by Brad Fields. Seven Sonatas received its World Premiere at the Richard B. Fisher Center for the Performing Arts at Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, New York in October 2009.

Christopher Wheeldon’s Thirteen Diversions will be given five performances beginning opening night, October 22. Created for American Ballet Theatre, Thirteen Diversions is set to music by Benjamin Britten (Diversions for Piano (left hand) and Orchestra, Op. 21) and features costumes by Bob Crowley and lighting by Brad Fields. Thirteen Diversions received its World Premiere by American Ballet Theatre at the Metropolitan Opera House, New York on May 24, 2011.

Léonide Massine’s Gaîté Parisienne will be given three performances during the Fall season beginning Wednesday evening, October 29. American Ballet Theatre’s production of Gaîté Parisienne, set to music by Jacques Offenbach, with costumes by Christian Lacroix, scenery by Zack Brown and lighting by Steven Shelley, was given its Company Premiere on January 19, 1988 in Tampa, Florida with Cheryl Yeager as the Glove Seller, Victor Barbee as the Baron and Johan Renvall as the Peruvian. The ballet received its World Premiere by the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo in 1938 at the Theatre de Monte Carlo in Monaco with Nina Tarakanova as the Glove Seller, Frederic Franklin as the Baron and Léonide Massine as the Peruvian. Staged for ABT by Lorca Massine, with assistance by Susan Jones, Gaîté Parisienne was given its Revival Premiere on May 20, 2014 at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2014 Fall season at the David H. Koch Theater go on sale beginning July 14, 2014. Tickets priced from $20 are available online, at the Koch box office or by phone at 212-496-0600. Performance-only tickets for the Opening Night Gala begin at $20. The David H. Koch Theater is located at Lincoln Center, Broadway and 63rd Street in New York City. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/07/new-scarlett-work-among-highlights-of-ballet-theater-season/?ref=arts#

Here's a link to the NY Times re the fall season at the Koch. No Push Comes To Shove mentioned for the Fall Season.

Kennedy Center is still listing Push for the March 2015 engagement. Perhaps they feel they need something extra like that to get more New Yorkers to come down and they'll premiere it in NYC at the Met later in the year.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/events/?event=BPBSE

Cargill commented (in post #11) on the absence of an Ashton ballet in the fall season, despite Ashton being mentioned as a choreographer for the anniversary season.

The release by ABT (included in post #12 above) makes clear that the anniversary celebration will extend through December 2015, so Ashton's contribution is probably his Cinderella which was performed by ABT in June and is likely to be repeated next year.

Edited to add: The performance dates for the fall season have now been posted at: www.abt.org/performances/kochtheater.asp

Thanks for the performane calendar. They are skipping a performance on Friday of the second week, but doubling up with two shows on Sunday of the second week,

They're skipping Halloween, as they did last year. Hard to compete with the other festivities in town, I guess.

No info on any discount if you buy multiple performances. I assume there will not be any such discount. Also, these tickets will be subject to the per ticket Koch theater facility fee. It is strange that they skip Halloween.

I'm pleasantly surprised that Hallberg will dance in the fall season. But am curious why Semionova will not.

Semionova is scheduled to dance Juliet November 6th and 8th at the Mikhailovsky, right after the Koch Season ends. But I don't know if she has any other guesting engagements that conflict with the Koch Season as it is going on.

http://www.mikhailovsky.ru/en/theatre/company/principals_f/polina_semionova/

I think this is terrific repertory on the whole--very happy about the Raymonda divertissements (something Semionova would have likely been quite good in...perhaps she will dance in spring). Right now, it does not look as if I will be able to make it this year, but if other obligations don't interfere this is repertory that would definitely bring me to NY -- as would Hallberg.

Yes, this is very good rep. Not sure if the Liam Scarlett ballet will be any good, but I'm willing to see it. I didn't like the ballet he did for NYCB last season. He is also choreographing a new work for NYCB this fall, with a premiere set for opening night on Sept 23. He is spreading himself pretty thin. Two world premieres within a one month period.

It will be very interesting to see how the ABT Raymonda Divert. stacks up against Balanchine's Raymonda Variations and Cortege Hongrois.

I think this is terrific repertory on the whole--very happy about the Raymonda divertissements (something Semionova would have likely been quite good in...perhaps she will dance in spring). Right now, it does not look as if I will be able to make it this year, but if other obligations don't interfere this is repertory that would definitely bring me to NY -- as would Hallberg.

Maybe, they are preparing for the full lenght Raymonda in the future season.

Maybe, they are preparing for the full lenght Raymonda in the future season.

I so hope so. It has been far too long since we've seen it, and while the production wasn't perfect, it can be such an exciting vehicle for a versatile ballerina. I really think ABT could have given Seven Sonatas a rest, but I suppose they had to include something by Ratmansky. I also think they've done Fancy Free far too often over the past decade, but there's obviously no way they could exclude it from their 75th Anniversary year. In any case, it will be fun to see some new dancers in those roles. I'm pretty shocked (but delighted!) that Hallberg is back for the fall season.