U.S. Premiere of Napoli AnnouncedBallet Arizona will perform Bournanville in 2014

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 fiddleback

fiddleback

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

Ballet Arizona recently announced their ’14-‘15 season, and a highlight will be the US Premiere of August Bournonville’s romantic ballet Napoli in February of 2015. Napoli has been performed almost 800 times by the Royal Danish Ballet (RDB) since its introduction in 1842, and it is still performed regularly.

Napoli will be staged by Artistic Director Ib Andersen, who joined the Royal Danish Ballet at age 16, and rose to the level of principal dancer by the age of 20. Mr. Andersen has danced leading roles in many Bournonville ballets, including Napoli. In 2013, he restaged Bournonville’s Kermesse in Bruge for the RDB.

Sets for the ballet will be on loan from the RDB, so there will be little doubt of their authenticity! Detailed background and history of Napoli can be found at http://www.bournonvi...nonville20.html.

Ballet Arizona will perform Napoli in conjunction with The Phoenix Symphony at Phoenix Symphony Hall on February 12-15, 2015.

(Note: This information is from the hardcopy 2014-2015 season brochure, however it is not yet posted on the company's website.)

#2 fiddleback

fiddleback

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

More info on '14-'15 season to come...

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,328 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

Otherwise we'll need a time turner to see the production!

And I think you meant  http://www.bournonville.com/   I hadn't really looked at the site before -- thanks so much for the heads-up and the link!

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,986 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

That is fantastic news!

#5 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

I wish ABT would do this ballet.

#6 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

I'm in.  Never been anywhere in US but NYC, SF and Hawaii, so this is a perfect excuse for the trip..!  ;-)

#7 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,986 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

There is a shuttle bus that goes from the airport to the airport light rail stop.  There are several hotels within a 10-minute walk of that stop, and a bunch downtown and past downtown on the light rail lines.  Symphony Hall where this will be presented is right downtown.  A day pass on light rail costs the equivalent of a round trip, if you buy one from the machines on the platform. 

I remember the first time I went in 2004, downtown Phoenix was a ghost town on the weekends, and the only restaurants open were the late Matador Restaurant and the one right next to it.  (I was crushed to find during my last trip that Matador was closed because it owed back taxes.)  The last time I was there, I had three really good meals at three different Thai restaurants, and things are picking up.

#8 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the tips, Helene..! I will certainly check the nightlife scene out while in there...  ;-)

#9 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

Do we assume they will borrow the traditional decor rather than the one currently used for Hübbe's updated version?

#10 fiddleback

fiddleback

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

Jane, I frankly don't know about the version of decor, but I will post more info as it becomes available.

Northerners, please note that Napoli is scheduled to be performed during the 2015 Polar Vortex, and that the weather in Phoenix is likely to be most agreeable!!

#11 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:29 AM

Surely it would have been cheaper for them to rent the National Ballet of Canada's full-length (and beautiful) traditional Napoli that has been sitting in an NBOC warehouse for a few decades, rather than shipping from Denmark.

#12 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:39 AM

I agree completely about the Schaufuss production, but who knows whether the sets and costumes are still in good condition after so many years in storage.

Does anyone know whether London Festival Ballet had its own version of the production, or did it rent from the National Ballet of Canada?

#13 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

I'm sure they're still in good condition, the NBOC has excellent storage facilities. They just revived Month in the Country after it had been in storage for 18 years.

#14 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

Help, moderators. I can't start a new topic, and the contact us button isn't working for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):