This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cinderella

Did anyone else see Boston Ballet's Cinderella? I saw it Saturday night, and think they did a very good job. Misa Kuranga was truly lovely as Cinderella, and the sisters weren't overdone. I was lucky enough to see Ashton and Helpmann, which has spoiled me forever, but the two at Boston (Yury Yanowsk and Boyko Dossev) were careful to stay part of the story. Roddy Doble was the father--I remember him from ABT, where he was so good in character roles, and he was very good, stooped and weak, and bossed around. (I know bossy has been banned, but boy, those sisters were bossy!) I hope someone else can report on other casts.

I will not comment on the performances, as that would be a conflict of interest. However, it was wonderful to be in the audience for all four of the shows this weekend. Every performance was nearly sold out. Saturday night was a special treat, as it was the 50th Anniversary Alumni Performance. Present in the audience were Bruce Marks, Anne-Marie Holmes, Violette Verdy, along with numerous alumni. There was a pre-curtain discussion with the aforementioned directors and Mikko Nissinen. I was unable to attend, but Mr. Nissinen advised me it will be on their website.

Present in the audience were Bruce Marks, Anne-Marie Holmes, Violette Verdy, along with numerous alumni. There was a pre-curtain discussion with the aforementioned directors and Mikko Nissinen. I was unable to attend, but Mr. Nissinen advised me it will be on their website.

Oh, that should be interesting -- thanks for the heads-up!