This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Lady of the Camellias - Premiere Casting (03/20/2014)

yudi

Lady of the Camellias
Bolshoi Premiere
on March 20, 2014

Marguerite Gautier Svetlana Zakharova
Armand Duval Edvin Revazov
Manon Lescaut Anna Tikhomirova
Des Grieux Semyon Chudin
Prudence Duvernoy Kristina Kretova
Gaston Rieux Mikhail Lobukhin
Nanina Anna Antropova
Monsieur Duval Andrei Merkuriev
Olympia Daria Khokhlova
The Duke Alexander Fadeyechev
Count N. Vyacheslav Lopatin
Manon Admirers Vlsdislav Kozlov, Artur Mkrtchyan, Dmitri Zhuk
Manon Admirers Yevgeny Sazonov, Ivan Semirechensky, Sergei Zakharov
Pianist on the Stage Alexei Melentyev
Married couple Yuri Ostrovsky, Irina Yatsenko
Auctioneer Yegor Simachev
His Assistant Roman Simachev
Conductor Pavel Sorokin

Casts for other performances:

It is very characteristic of Neumeier's ballets to have many leading roles. The Hamburg Ballet will routinely field principal dancers in the six main roles, sometimes seven, when Carsten Jung plays M. Duval.

I'd actually argue that comparatively speaking Neumeier is using relatively few Bolshoi principals. He has cast only three of its principal ballerinas in the work, though he is making more extensive use of its principal men. I am a little baffled that Ekaterina Krysanova has not been cast again, just as in Onegin. She certainly doesn't strike me as a poor actress, and I think she'd make a terrific Prudence.

I'd actually argue that comparatively speaking Neumeier is using relatively few Bolshoi principals. He has cast only three of its principal ballerinas in the work, though he is making more extensive use of its principal men. I am a little baffled that Ekaterina Krysanova has not been cast again, just as in Onegin. She certainly doesn't strike me as a poor actress, and I think she'd make a terrific Prudence.

Frankly speaking, I think Krysanova would be too shining on the stage as Prudence so that she would overshadow most Marguerites, except if Marguerite was performed by D. Vishneva.
flowers.gif
Krysanova has been in a Star Gala Tour, A.D. Manuel Legris, in France & Belgium from 1st to 21st of March.
Actually, Merkuriev was scheduled to be in the tour also. Obviously, someone pulled him back for Lady of the Camellias. I am sure he would be happy to dance as Monsieur Duval for challenging, although, IMO, Zakharova as Marguerite, Merkuriev - Armand, (Krysanova, Tikhomirova) - (Manon, Prudence) , Skvortsov - Monsieur Duval and the rest of Premiere casting could be the best Bolshoi star team for this ballet.
dunno.gif

FINANCIAL TIMES (on-line) has published a reviewing article
Lady of the Camellias, Bolshoi Theatre, Moscow
By Laura Cappelle

She gives ★★★★★ for

John Neumeier’s character-rich ballet has found a company that is equal to its challenges.

See: http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/dc3b2460-b406-11e3-a102-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2x5zKgndZ

It would be very interesting to know how the Russian audiences thought about this ballet.

Thank you for posting these.

I'm unfamiliar with this ballet but I have to say I found it impossible to concentrate on the dance with the Chopin F minor concerto (my favourite) playing in the background.

I'm unfamiliar with this ballet but I have to say I found it impossible to concentrate on the dance with the Chopin F minor concerto (my favourite) playing in the background.

It's one of my favourite ballets. I love the Chopin too, and the combination of it and the dancing, far from being distracting, just adds to the enjoyment.

It's one of my favourite ballets. I love the Chopin too, and the combination of it and the dancing, far from being distracting, just adds to the enjoyment.

That's nice, I will definitely watch it through. Frankly, I'd watch Obraztsova dance anything.

I think the problem is that I'm currently learning that concerto and I can't help but mentally play along when I hear it.