• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

I most certainly did not know anything about the strike, the first I knew was when I actually arrived at the theatre. The opera knows my email address as I have a Opera Card, so why could they not advise me. I found the details of a 24hr strike on 12th on the internet after I returned home.  under the Hellos - France Alliance, which was a cultural agreement with very similar connotations  in liaison with the Public Employees Union. Seems a bit of a coincidence that the times and dates are identical. .

#17 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

I did not even consider I would need to have a fall back, I went solely for that one performance, of course one is prepared to illness, injury  or cast changes.  Thank goodness we do not get strikes in the UK without some publicity. Having been involved in the professional world of ballet for many years, unless my memory is failing me, I cannot remember Dancers going on strike, and they were never as privileged as a lot of other companies.  

#18 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

Dancer strikes have happened before - the Washington Ballet strike a few years ago comes to mind. http://www.npr.org/t...storyId=5134322 But I agree dancer strikes seem fairly rare.

To me (an American who spends about one third the year in France) it seems like there is always a strike of some sort going on in France! It's a cultural thing that I think baffles most Anglo-Saxons. In the UK and US striking is the last resort, whereas in France it's not.

I totally sympathize with how irritating and disappointing it must have been to plan your trip, spend the money to buy tickets and then find the performance canceled. 

#19 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

ABT dancers went out on strike three times in the late 70s and early 80s, mainly over pay that was significantly less than dancers of comparable rank at NYCB. (Several sources on this, including Tchernichova's book, Dancing on water, p. 214.) In 1973, NYCB dancers went on strike over the number of guaranteed work weeks. The NYCB musicians went on strike several times in that era. Still, in the recent past, we don't seem to have had much experience with dancer strikes in the U.S.

The frequency of strikes in certain countries in Europe seems baffling to Americans. But the Europeans have a hard time understanding our love of guns and the death penalty, and our refusal to convert to the metric system (among other things). 

#20 silvermash

silvermash

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:03 AM

The reason why there is a lot of strikes in France is because there is no culture of dialogue between the employers and trade unions... That's when they are face to difficulties that employers think about the people...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):