This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

BLANK HOME PAGE/FORUM INDEX ISSUE

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

I've received two screen shots showing a blank home page (forum index).  "View New Posts" shows a valid page, but is limited.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue, but can access this post through View New Posts?  If so, would you please tell me what hardware (PC, Mac, tablet, phone) you are using, the operating system, and the browser?  Also if you could see the home page starting Saturday night after 8pm ET (before we launched the fundraiser), but stopped seeing it afterwards, when you first noticed that the home page was missing.  I can't find anything in the "Help" files, and  I'd like to give tech support the most information possible.

If you have the issue, does clearing "invisionzone.com" cookies resolve it?

#2 emilienne

emilienne

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

I seem to be experiencing this problem. I am using Chrome (33.0.1750.146) on Mac OS 10.9.2 using a MacBook Pro. I'm pretty sure that I saw the webpage on Sunday, but since then have skipped straight to New Posts, so no reports on Monday or from earlier today.

Will update this post once I delete my cookie. (UPDATE: deleted all of my cookies invisionzone.com cookies, still a blank page.)

#3 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:02 AM

I also have this issue. 

Laptop. Windows 7. Chrome. 

Not sure when I started seeing the blank page; but it has been for a few days now. When I FIRST click on "forum" (or "ballet talk") button, a VERY QUICK view of the entire page flashes over the screen, but immediately disappears, showing only the blank page. 

I do not know how to do a screen shot. 

-d-

#4 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:08 AM

Same issue on my computer:

Mac Air

OSX 10.9.2

Chrome

Clearing invisionzone cookies makes no difference

But everything looks fine on my phone, however, in both the mobile and full versions:

iPhone

iOS 7.1

Chrome

#5 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

I'm about to start testing tech support's recommendations, which will make the board do some strange things for a little while.

#6 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

I just want to thank Helene for trying to figure this out and dedicating the time to doing it! tiphat.gif

#7 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

Thank you, ksk04, for your help with the testing :flowers:

I hope we'll have an answer soon.

#8 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Adding my voice to ksk04 -- everyone here is grateful for the zealous job you do keeping our playground useable!

#9 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

The problem here is that for some of our members, the playground is not usable, unless they revert to Safari, Internet Explorer or their iPhones or Android phones.

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

#10 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

I don't think this is especially good news, but we're being told that the behavior of the forum page flashing up for a second and then going blank couldn't be a problem with the base software.

The potential diagnosis is "bad browser extension/plugin" and the only way to see if this is the case is by disabling all of the Plug-ins and Extensions for the browser, clearing the cache, and trying again.  Although I'm not experiencing the problem, even after just installing the "Disconnect" plug-in on Firefox, I have five plug-ins and 15 extensions that would need to be de-activated.

Where's the bashing one's head against the keyboard icon when you need it?

#11 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:34 AM

Oh, my! How annoying! 

Thank you so much for working so hard to get a handle on this! 

-d-

#12 Bonnette

Bonnette

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:32 AM

….we're being told that the behavior of the forum page flashing up for a second and then going blank couldn't be a problem with the base software.

This might be completely unrelated and I don't mean to muddy the waters, but I was having this flash-and-disappear problem on many, many sites (especially shopping and tracking pages) prior to upgrading my system software from Mac OS 8 to OS 10. A tech told me that the problem involved extensions and plug-ins utilized in upgrades to those sites' software, and my older system's inability to cope with the changes. So maybe there isn't a problem with the forum's base software, per se (in that it runs fine from the coding perspective), but how it's interacting with users' existing operating systems or browser versions. Just a thought…might well be wrong! dunno.gif

#13 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:59 AM

I run Mac 10.8.5 and haven't seen this flashy stuff.  Not sure if that's germane.

#14 Bonnette

Bonnette

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

I run Mac 10.8.5 and haven't seen this flashy stuff.  Not sure if that's germane.

I had a mega-senior moment when I wrote my last post and have since amended it - I meant to reference Mac OS 8 and OS 10 (not 4 and 8).

Like you, sandik, I don't have any flash-and-disappear issues running OS 10 - whereas it was happening all the time with OS 8. If users of Ballet Alert are experiencing the problem despite having up-to-date system software (either Mac or Windows), then operating system issues might indeed not be germane.

#15 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:11 AM

Our software's tech support team also believes that issues are caused by browser plug-ins and/or extensions.

I'm still on Lion with my MacBook, because those manufactured in "Early 2008" don't support later operating system versions, and I haven't seen this issue.  If I had it, I could do the testing myself, but I haven't been able to replicate it.

It's not an OS issue if the members who are experiencing this on Chrome and Firefox are not experiencing it on IE (PC) or Safari for Mac.

Every time I do a browser upgrade -- and I always do the upgrades when prompted -- I get a message that the browser is checking for add-on compatibility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):