This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Xander Parish -- Mariinsky Star Ascending

Buddy

I interrupt my second video viewing of the Yulia Stepanova/Xander Parish Swan Lake debut with

A Very Important Announcement !

Xander Parish

I'm Stoked !

I don't think that I've ever seen a male ballet Portrayal the likes of this one.

I somewhat joked elsewhere that there is Shakespeare in this man. Now I'm serious about it. There Is !

Let's see where this all leads to.

I'm referring specifically to the Act I Odette Duet posted by artsong that can be seen at the Dancer topic -- Yulia Stepenova (bottom of page). I'm also very impressed with Yulia Stepanova's Odette. Some beautifully composed lines, for one thing.

Xander will also be debuting Sylvia with Alina Somova in several weeks at this year's Festival.

Added comment:

He's also a darn nice person….and Class ! on stage and off.

Here are some very interesting and sympathetic accounts of Xander's day to day life at the Mariinsky, published from his diary.

Having never seen him perform a full length lead his 'acting prowess' and power of expression come as quite a revelation.

"Now, I get the chance to put my theory into practice: a story ballet is about the development of emotion and character; wonderful technique is lovely to see, but it's the emotion of a piece that does it for me."

Added thought:

This might be in part a reflection of his Royal Ballet (London) training, stemming from England's great theatrical heritage. It certainly shows in former Royal Ballet principals, such as the amazingly expressive Alina Cojocaru and the very realistic Tamara Rojo.

I continue to watch the video clip of the Act I Odette duet with Yulia Stepanova and am enjoying it very much. For one who normally focuses 110% on the lead ballerina to the exclusion of almost everyone else, especially in this famous duet, this performance is quite different for me. There is a partnership here. Xander has to be careful not to overwhelm the delicacy of his ballerina and she has to be worthy of this. For me, so far in my viewing, they are able to strike a beautiful balance.