This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Royal Ballet's Sleeping BeautyMarch 19/20

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

The Royal Ballet's production of The Sleeping Beauty will be broadcast live to cinemas on Wednesday, March 19, starting at 7:15 pm London time. In Canada screenings will be delayed until 7:00 pm local time, with a repeat screening on Sunday, April 13, at 12:55 pm. In the United States the ballet will be screened on Thursday, March 20, at 7:00 pm.

The Royal Ballet has made a trailer using footage from its last broadcast of The Sleeping Beauty with Lauren Cuthbertson and Sergei Polunin. This next version is to star Sarah Lamb and Steven McRae. The page linked below also includes a search box for finding nearby screenings.

http://www.roh.org.u...ing-beauty-2014

In the U.S.: http://www.fathomeve...sleeping-beauty

In Canada: http://www.cineplex....nts/DanceSeries

Fathom Events is giving away four tickets to The Sleeping Beauty daily until March 17.

http://fathomevents....ent-Sweepstakes

#2 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for the link for the drawing for free tickets!

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:35 PM

In Seattle it's screening on Thursday 20 March -- not sure why the change.  Thornton Stadium theater, 7 pm

#4 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:49 AM

Fathom Events, the American distributor, had already scheduled a repeat of the Met's Werther on March 19, which is why Sleeping Beauty is being shown a day later in the U.S.

#5 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

Fathom Events, the American distributor, had already scheduled a repeat of the Met's Werther on March 19, which is why Sleeping Beauty is being shown a day later in the U.S.

Oh, that makes sense.  Thanks!

#6 DanielBenton

DanielBenton

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

Does anyone see a date for an encore showing in the US?

#7 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

It appears that there isn't going to be one.

#8 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Extra thanks to volcanohunter as I won a set of tickets. I recommend entering! I can't imagine there is a huge pool to draw from daily.

They did an encore of Swan Lake that wasn't announced in advance of the screening, so they might decide to do encores in the summer; they did last year or the year before, right?

#9 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

Yay for ksk04! clapping.gif

In case someone has not seen them, there are photos from the production in the "downloads" section. The first, for whatever reason, is of Marianela Nuñez, but the remainder feature Sarah Lamb and Steven McRae.

http://www.fathomeve...-info/downloads

#10 yudi

yudi

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

The Royal Ballet has made a trailer using footage from its last broadcast of The Sleeping Beauty with Lauren Cuthbertson and Sergei Polunin. This next version is to star Sarah Lamb and Steven McRae. The page linked below also includes a search box for finding nearby screenings.

It seems to be pretty common for ballet theaters to have different casting in advertisement trailers from the real dancers in broadcasting, e.g., Mariinsky's Swan Lake, Bolshoi's Lost Illusion, and again Royal's Sleeping Beauty.

I did feel excited, when I saw Polunin in Royal's ads of Sleeping Beauty during the Royal's Swan Lake show. I am wondering whether or not there is the rule in ballet world, that is, if the dancer(s) left a theater, the official publishing of their performances with the theater would be shut down?

The reason why I am asking this question is that I am still waiting for the DVD of D.Q. from Bolshoi's HD broadcasting, in which N. Osipova & I. Vasiliev danced. If that is the reason for Bolshoi to stop publishing the DVD, I would be very disappointed. I believe that it could be one of the best D.Q.s in history. Three years ago, they both were very young & energetic, unsophisticated, and in love; they matched the roles in D.Q. naturally; although they are more experienced dancers now.

innocent.gif

#11 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

I shouldn't have made a big deal about the difference in cast. Obviously, a company can't make a trailer using footage from a performance that has not yet taken place.

Polunin did return to the Royal Ballet as a guest to dance in Marguerite and Armand, and it was released on DVD. I think the Cuthbertson/Polunin Sleeping Beauty is unlikely to be released because it had a "not ready for prime time" feel to it. Neither of them looked particularly confident, and both struggled technically. These shortcomings are fairly easy to hide in the quick edits of a trailer.

But I agree with you about the Bolshoi broadcasts. Most of my favorites are sitting in the vault, and I do wonder whether the participation of "ex-"dancers like Tsiskaridze, Osipova, Lunkina and Dmitrichenko has something to do with it.

#12 yudi

yudi

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

Polunin did return to the Royal Ballet as a guest to dance in Marguerite and Armand, and it was released on DVD. I think the Cuthbertson/Polunin Sleeping Beauty is unlikely to be released because it had a "not ready for prime time" feel to it. Neither of them looked particularly confident, and both struggled technically. These shortcomings are fairly easy to hide in the quick edits of a trailer.

But I agree with you about the Bolshoi broadcasts. Most of my favorites are sitting in the vault, and I do wonder whether the participation of "ex-"dancers like Tsiskaridze, Osipova, Lunkina and Dmitrichenko has something to do with it.

Thank you for the info! I found the DVD Ashton Celebration (2013) on AMAZON. I guess this is the right one and have ordered it. I would keep on hoping that the DVD of Osipovs & Vasiliev's D.Q. could soon be released by Bolshoi. Even if I were thinking with my bottom, I could see that publishing this DVD must be a huge commercial success. What is the Bolshoi theater calculating?

beg.gif

#13 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:29 AM

The Royal Ballet has posted programs for the screening in six languages. They include some additional casting, though not much.

Aurora: Sarah Lamb

Florimund: Steven McRae

King: Christopher Saunders

Queen: Elizabeth McGorian

Carabosse: Kristen McNally

Lilac Fairy: Laura McCulloch

Florine: Yuhui Choe

Bluebird: Valentino Zucchetti

http://www.roh.org.u...ing-beauty-2014

#14 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for the link -- I'm looking forward to the film.

#15 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

Some additional casting.

Prologue Fairies: Yuhui Choe, Beatriz Stix-Brunell, Hikaru Kobayashi, Francesca Hayward, Elizabeth Harrod

Suitors: Ryoichi Hirano, Johannes Stepanek, Eric Underwood, Gary Avis

Florestan and His Sisters: James Hay, Harrod, Stix-Brunell

White Cat and Puss-in-Boots: Elsa Godard, Paul Kay

Red Riding Hood and Wolf: Leanne Cope, Underwood

Cattalabutte: Alastair Marriott

Gallison: Philip Mosley

Countess: Sian Murphy

Highly recommended, especially for Sarah Lamb's Aurora, and especially in the first act.

Introduction:

Intermission feature with Sarah Lamb and Steven McRae

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):