This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Boston Ballet Announces 2014-2015 Season

SPECTACULAR SEASON INCLUDES THREE WORLD PREMIERES, TWO COMPANY PREMIERES, CONTEMPORARY VISION, NEO-CLASSICAL MASTERPEICES AND MAGICAL CLASSICS

Boston, ma - Boston Ballet Artistic Director Mikko Nissinen today announced the programming for the 2014-2015 season at the Boston Opera House. Boston Ballet's 51stseason kicks off with the world premiere of Mikko Nissinen's Swan Lake, featuring glorious new sets and costumes by award winning designer Robert Perdziola. The season continues with the beloved new production of Nissinen's The Nutcracker and Val Caniparoli's romantic drama Lady of the Camellias. The spring season heats up with a burst of contemporary and neo-classical choreography from masters such as William Forsythe, Jerome Robbins, Helen Pickett, and Wayne McGregor, including the Company premieres of George Balanchine'sEpisodes and Hans van Manen's Black Cake. Adding to the excitement, Boston Ballet will present world premieres by Resident Choreographer Jorma Elo and Principal Dancer Jeffrey Cirio.

"Next season has shaped up to be very exciting," said Nissinen. "The new production ofSwan Lake will be deeply rooted in tradition with the clean yet luxurious beauty we have come to expect from Perdziola's designs. After we steal your heart with The Nutcrackerand Lady of the Camellias, get ready for a jolt of energy from our three spring repertory programs. I cannot imagine a better way to showcase the strength of our diverse company than with this season's programming. The future of Boston Ballet starts now."

The world premiere of Nissinen's Swan Lake will launch the season in splendor October 30 - November 9. Perdziola and Nissinen join forces again following the 2012 launch of Boston Ballet's new version of The Nutcracker. A wonderful blend of history, classicism and luscious detail this fresh new production of Swan Lake will feature a never before seen haunting prologue. This world famous classic is set to P.I. Tchaikovsky's beloved score, and features Nissinen's choreography based on the original version by Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov.

The season continues with Boston's favorite holiday tradition The Nutcracker, on stageNovember 28 - December 31. Boston Ballet then presents Val Caniparoli's Lady of the Camellias from February 26 - March 8. This heartbreaking ballet is based on the 19thCentury French novel by Alexandre Dumas that later inspired the opera La Traviata and Hollywood blockbuster Moulin Rouge. The ballet follows the tragic tale of love between a courtesan and impoverished artist set to music by Frédéric Chopin.

The 2015 spring season continues with Perception, a series of thrilling programs designed to awaken the senses. Shades of Sound, on stage from March 19-29, is comprised of three riveting works that feature magnificent musicality and exhilarating choreography. Wayne McGregor's mesmerizing Chroma returns, along with the Company premieres of George Balanchine's Episodes and Hans van Manen's deliciously comic Black Cake.Edge of Vision, which runs from April 30 - May 10, is a beautiful trio of contemporary dance and includes a world premiere by acclaimed Resident Choreographer Jorma Elo and Helen Pickett's visual feast Eventide recently re-worked for the Vienna State Opera. An exciting third ballet is soon to be announced. The 2014-2015 season culminates with Thrill of Contact on stage from May 14 - May 24. This power packed program of precision and impressive athleticism includes George Balanchine's Theme and Variations, Jerome Robbins' The Concert, William Forsythe's The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude, and a world premiere by Principal Dancer Jeffrey Cirio.

All 2014-2015 performances take place at The Boston Opera House:

Swan Lake October 30 - November 9, 2014

Music by P.I. Tchaikovsky

The Nutcracker November 28 - December 31, 2014

Music by P.I. Tchaikovsky

Lady of the Camellias February 26 - March 8, 2015

Music by Frédéric Chopin

Shades of Sound March 19 - 29, 2015

Music by Joby Talbot, Anton von Webern and P.I. Tchaikovsky

Edge of Vision April 30 - May 10, 2015

Music by Jan Garbarek, Philip Glass, Ravi Shankar, J.S. Bach

Thrill of Contact May 14 - 24, 2015

Music by P.I. Tchaikovsky, Frédéric Chopin, and Franz Schubert

For more information, visit www.bostonballet.org or call 617-695-6955.

Hurray! Back when we made our new year's wishes, it was mine to see Boston Ballet's Swan Lake. I'm so excited about this!

The other programs sound excellent as well. Chroma again - huzzah. The Helen Pickett should be an exciting addition for the company, and I'm looking forward to seeing Jeffrey Cirio's work reach the main stage.