This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jewels Cast

I am looking forward to seeing NYCB in Jewels in April at the Kennedy Center. With all of your experience, who do you think will be cast in Jewels? I know Jenny Ringer had the second role in Emeralds, but who will replace her? The tall girl in Rubies is always (usually?) Teresa Reichlen - but in Diamonds, do you think they would give us Sara Mearns on a Sunday matinee? And who would dance with her? Any other ideas for probable casting for Diamonds or the other sections? Thank you!

To my knowledge, Mearns, Kowroski, and Reichlen all dance Diamonds.

This winter Savanah Lowery alternated the tall girl in Rubies with Reichlen.

When I saw Jewels during the winter season, Abi Stafford danced the second role in Emeralds; I don't know who danced the role in the other cast. Reviews of the winter season probably say something about it as well as other recent casting in the ballet.

(I saw Peck in the first ballerina role in Emeralds and Bouder in Rubies. Bouder also does Emeralds and, I believe, Hyltin Rubies...)

I don't think you can count on any one particular dancer, but you can almost certainly count on at least some of the leads being absolutely first rate and maybe all...

I know Whelan's been injured, but does she still dance Diamonds? I'll be at both Saturday shows and hope to see Mearns and Reichlin in that final ballet, having seen (and loved) the other two. But I think it's probably safe to expect excellent performances from any of the four.

Whelan has not danced Diamonds in some time. It appears that she has given up that role. In fact, she has given up all the tutu roles she had. (Alternatively, Peter Martins made the decision for her?) It is highly unlikely that she will be on the DC tour. She recently stated that she is still recovering from her injuries and hopes to return to NyCB for the Spring season. She was supposed to do a multi-city tour of her Restless Creature program during March - April 2014, but the entire tour had to be scrapped due to her continuing recovery.

Whelan has not danced Diamonds in some time. It appears that she has given up that role. In fact, she has given up all the tutu roles she had. (Alternatively, Peter Martins made the decision for her?) It is highly unlikely that she will be on the DC tour. She recently stated that she is still recovering from her injuries and hopes to return to NyCB for the Spring season. She was supposed to do a multi-city tour of her Restless Creature program during March - April 2014, but the entire tour had to be scrapped due to her continuing recovery.

Thanks for the information. So unless someone debuts in the role, they'll probably divide the six performances among Kowroski, Reichlin and Mearns, with the latter two perhaps dancing in Rubies as well.