This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Sweeney ToddNY Philharmonic & Sweeney Todd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

Anyone in NYC who can get a ticket go - go -go.  Tomorrow, Fri, Sat. mat & evening.

Perfect cast, great performances, world class orchestra.

Bryn Terfel of the Met Opera was mesmerizing in the lead, and he used his amazing voice to tremendous emotional effect.   Emma Thompson (I didn't know she could sing) played Mrs. Lovett with great comedic flair and timing.  I could go on and on, but everyone was just terrific

The staging was clever and convincing, particularly with the given that the orchestra is also on stage.  

Stephen Sondheim was in the audience, and it went up on stage at the end to take a bow with the performers - It was such a great performance, he had to be pleased.

SPOILER ALERT - DON'T READ FURTHER IF YOU ARE GOING AND WANT A SURPRISE

In the program the person playing the Beggar Woman was listed as ?

Turned out "?"  was Audra McDonald

#2 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

I read that this will be broadcast on Great Performances on PBS.  Broadcast date is TBA.

#3 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

I read that this will be broadcast on Great Performances on PBS.  Broadcast date is TBA.

I sure hope so.  It's one of those rare things that I wish everyone could see.

#4 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:31 AM

I sure hope so.  It's one of those rare things that I wish everyone could see.

Oh I hope so as well -- what a cast!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):