This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Who Will Be Named Principal?

I regret the loss of many of the wonderful principals I have come to love over the years - Jenny Ringer, Janie Taylor, Sebastian Marcovici, and others I can't recall. But now soloists can be appointed principal, and corps de ballet members can be promoted to soloist.

I have heard wonderful things about Lauren Lovette though unfortunately I haven't had the chance to see her dance. Does anyone have any ideas about who might be promoted to principal or soloist?

Ashley Laracey. She is a seasoned professional with artistic maturity. No doubt Lauren Lovette is also on the path to become a principal but she is still so young. I hope they give her another year or two a bit protected before burdening her with the responsibilities of a principal. But I think Laracey is ready now.

Ashley Laracey. She is a seasoned professional with artistic maturity. No doubt Lauren Lovette is also on the path to become a principal but she is still so young. I hope they give her another year or two a bit protected before burdening her with the responsibilities of a principal. But I think Laracey is ready now.

My vote is also Ashley Laracey.

Lauren Lovette without question.

Anthony Huxley, but there are two issues with that. One is that he was out for a while due to injury, so he hasn't really been tested in enough lead roles yet. More of a problem is his height. NYCB already has two short principal men, and I'm not sure if they would be willing to add another in the near future.

Another vote for Lovette! I'd also like to see Lauren King promoted to principal (from soloist) but that will likely take another couple of years.

Among male soloists: Taylor Stanley, for sure. I also like Zachary Catazaro but, like Lauren King, he may still be waiting 1-2 years...and someone mentioned that he's been indisposed for a while, so he needs to return & re-establish himself.

I think Lovette, King and Laracey all have principal potential, but need some time. I'd particularly like to see Lovette & King handle more principal roles. What will ever happen to Erica Pereira? She was made soloist really quickly but hasn't developed much IMO, and doesn't perform much.

What will ever happen to Erica Pereira? She was made soloist really quickly but hasn't developed much IMO, and doesn't perform much.

I agree that Pereira is not principal material at the moment. To me she had a lot of potential when she was first promoted but seems to have stagnated since then. She was on the tour to DC (in the Emeralds pd3).

Not everyone who makes soloist is promoted to principal.

Given the number of remaining principals on the roster, I wouldn't be surprised if there were no additional promotions to principal for some time. The only person who seems fairly close to being ready is Lovette.

By the way, any info on Jenny Somogyi. Will we see her during the Spring season?

I'm not sure about Georgina. She hasn't been given leading roles in the essential Balanchine ballets. Her most memorable role to date has been as Anita in West Side Story. I'd like to see her in lead roles in Robbins ballets, like Opus 19 the Dreamer, In The Night and I'm Old Fashioned.

I'm not sure about Georgina. She hasn't been given leading roles in the essential Balanchine ballets. Her most memorable role to date has been as Anita in West Side Story. I'd like to see her in lead roles in Robbins ballets, like Opus 19 the Dreamer, In The Night and I'm Old Fashioned.

Agreed. She seems underused.

That Gina P., danced beautifully for ten years before being named a soloist drove me crazy, and I wrote to Peter many times to lobby for her promotion which FINALLY came.

They often put her in junk such as the Martins/McCartney debacle two years ago, What a waste of talent and money . JIm