This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB Cinderella 2014

Casts for the entire run of Cinderella. No Froustey! sad.png

CINDERELLA

Choreographer: Christopher Wheeldon
Composer: Sergei Prokofiev

TUESDAY, MARCH 11—8PM—OPENING NIGHT

Cinderella: Maria Kochetkova
Prince: Joan Boada
Edwina: Sasha De Sola
Clementine: Frances Chung
Benjamin: Taras Domitro

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 12—7:30PM

Cinderella: Yuan Yuan Tan
Prince: Luke Ingham
Clementine: Dores Andre
Benjamin: Hansuke Yamamoto

THURSDAY, MARCH 13—8PM

Cinderella: Frances Chung
Prince: Davit Karapetyan
Edwina: Elizabeth Powell*
Clementine: Ellen Rose Hummel*
Benjamin: Diego Cruz*

FRIDAY, MARCH 14—8PM

Cinderella: Sarah Van Patten
Prince: Tiit Helimets
Benjamin: Myles Thatcher

SATURDAY, MARCH 15—2PM

Edwina: Elizabeth Powell
Clementine: Ellen Rose Hummel

SATURDAY, MARCH 15—8PM

SUNDAY, MARCH 16—2PM

Cinderella: Sarah Van Patten
Prince: Tiit Helimets
Benjamin: Myles Thatcher

SATURDAY, MARCH 22—2PM

Cinderella: Frances Chung
Prince: Davit Karapetyan
Benjamin: Diego Cruz

SATURDAY, MARCH 22—8PM

SUNDAY, MARCH 23—2PM

Clementine: Frances Chung

As far as I can figure it, the POB are in Tokyo from about the 13th to the 23rd. And Froustey may be with them the entire time.

I do wonder if she spent any time in rehearsals for Cinderella roles, or if there wasn't much opportunity for that, so it was easy to get leave for March.

Maria Kochetkova tweeted something yesterday to the effect that they had 5 days of rehearsal to get Cinderella together, so maybe they didn't have time to prepare anyone for a debut in the lead roles.

I do have a prediction though: that the upcoming Tomasson world premiere will be created on Froustey, Tan (naturally), and, depending on the number of dancers, he may use Powell from the Corps de Ballet as a soloist. So we shall see if my instincts are good...

Maria Kochetkova tweeted something yesterday to the effect that they had 5 days of rehearsal to get Cinderella together, so maybe they didn't have time to prepare anyone for a debut in the lead roles.

I do have a prediction though: that the upcoming Tomasson world premiere will be created on Froustey, Tan (naturally), and, depending on the number of dancers, he may use Powell from the Corps de Ballet as a soloist. So we shall see if my instincts are good...

Probably pretty good bets.

I’m hoping Froustey will have plenty to do in the Ratmansky Trilogy, plus likely she’ll be in Suite en Blanc. In the interview linked over on her thread, she said she wanted to dance a lot, and here we are half-way through the season and she’s done two Giselles, and a few minutes in the Kingdom of the Shades. Not exactly ‘a lot of dancing’.

I’m hoping Froustey will have plenty to do in the Ratmansky Trilogy, plus likely she’ll be in Suite en Blanc. In the interview linked over on her thread, she said she wanted to dance a lot, and here we are half-way through the season and she’s done two Giselles, and a few minutes in the Kingdom of the Shades. Not exactly ‘a lot of dancing’.

Agreed. But she did say she thought it would take time to learn the new repertoire (and there's a lot of it). Even in the 'classics' she has to contend with someone else's choreography (such as Tomasson for Nureyev). I can't say I'm totally suprised at how things are going - she has a lot to contend with. And there are so many soloists with the company chomping at the bit to do main roles. It's got to be a real fight right now to get stage time.

For Froustey, the Ratmansky trilogy is a definite possibility for soloist work. I can imagine there was some negotiating that happened to allow her to sub with the POB - if you don't do anything on Cinderella, then you are putting in a lot of time with ___________.

Oh, wow, I'm fascinated with this casting. Was it you, Peggy, or Pherank, that said to watch Elizabeth Powell? Yup, she is certainly heading in that soloist direction. Fine with Froustey touring with POB but why on earth aren't we seeing Simone Messmer on this casting list? No newcomers at all, although good point that there wasn't the time to prepare newcomers in debut roles (although that was what the fall months were for, right? All that prep time w/minimal performing?) But there's Sasha de Sola getting good notice again. Helgi's eye is certainly on her this season, amid this season of lots of interesting glance-worthy dancers.

I am heartbroken that I will have to miss not just Cinderella but the openers for Programs 5 & 6 (am I right in program #'s?). It might not be till 4/29 that I catch another performance. Ah well, life gets in the way. So glad I can come here and get some feedback on what's going on.

I am heartbroken that I will have to miss not just Cinderella but the openers for Programs 5 & 6 (am I right in program #'s?). It might not be till 4/29 that I catch another performance. Ah well, life gets in the way. So glad I can come here and get some feedback on what's going on.

I'm in the same boat, Terez, so hopefully others will post their reactions to Cinderella here...

Am I missing the reviews of this wonderful piece? I saw Frances Chung at Saturday matinee. She was very good, as was Davit K. The performance was splendid--costumes, scenery, lighting, staging, choreography, and libretto (from Grimm). I thoroughly enjoyed it and will probably try and see it again.

I saw Cinderella on March 13 and 14, 2014. March 13 had Chung and Karapetyan as the leads, plus Diego Cruz's first performance as Benjamin (he was an absolute delight), and Elizabeth Powell as Edwina and Ellen Rose Hummel as Clementine for their first time. Powell and Hummel's execution of the complicated choreography together was beautifully synchronized. Hummel had such warmth and charm throughout, and Powell was more the very spoiled debutante than nasty and made the role her own. Sasha de Solo's phrasing in the Winter variation was remarkable, and she had an authority that quieted the audience- she continues to progress on every level since her promotion to soloist. I've seen this ballet now four times, and also watched it online in December of 2012 when it was available as performed around Christmas by the Dutch National Ballet. There are portions of it that now wear thin for me, though I admire the tremendous production values. The stand-out on March 13 was, for me, Davit Karapetyan, whose dancing was seamless and superb, and is a remarkable partner. He was simply wonderful.

Sarah Van Patten and Tiit Helimets danced the leads on March 14. Van Patten, for me, is an amazing dance-actress. She has a natural emotive quality that is unique, and has a beautiful classical technique and she does not look like that she has been in a rehearsal room for days, struggling and sweating. Everything with her is effortless. I liked Helimets very much, and he, like Karapetyan, is a superb partner. There was one segment for them in the waltz that comes after the Act II pas de deux, where he lifts her about three times in which her right leg extends in a very low position devant and she carries low it to the side, then he lifts her to his right shoulder, followed by a series of about three breathtaking lifts over his back where she is in a jeté or split position - all this while the corps is dancing around them - but this passage was extraordinary as if in slow motion and in complete calm control, yet playful. It was incredible to see (and received spontaneous applause). That moment worth everything. I also constantly watched Damian Smith, as he will be retiring soon, and he will be missed.

My next trek is May 1 and 2. I hope to hear from others about the Ratmansky evening. I've only seen the middle portion of it as danced by ABT last year.

I am devastated that I missed Cinderella this year. I had tickets to last weekend [saturday evening 3/15 and Sunday matinee 3/16] but a seriously ill cat kept me home. Oh, what we give up for our children, even the furry, four-legged kind. I saw Cinderella in its debut year [was that just 2013?] and loved it.

I am devastated that I missed Cinderella this year. I had tickets to last weekend [saturday evening 3/15 and Sunday matinee 3/16] but a seriously ill cat kept me home. Oh, what we give up for our children, even the furry, four-legged kind. I saw Cinderella in its debut year [was that just 2013?] and loved it.

We must be doppengangers or something: I had tickets for both Saturday, 3/15 performances, but one of my cats took ill Friday evening and I spent all day Saturday shuttling between the cat doctor and the pet hospital.

I saw Cinderella last year (Chung/Ingham/Yamamoto); liked it a lot but didn't overall love it. Mostly, I loved the stage effects (Basil Twist's wonderful tree, the carriage at the end of Act 1, the line up trying on the glass slipper). I'm particularly sorry to have missed Kochetkova, who would be ideal for the role. I'm sure it will be back, though.

Hope your little guy is doing better. Mine went back in the hospital last night, but they think he'll be OK; it just might take a while.

Peggy