This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kennedy Center Jan 2015- Rite of Spring and others

Casting is up:

Le Sacre du printemps (Stravinsky/Hodson inspired by Nijinsky)

Pavlenko (1/27, 29, 31m, 2/1m), Petushkova (1/28, 30, 31e)

Le Spectre de la Rose (Weber/Fokine)
Shapran & Kim (1/27, 30, 2/1m), Selina & Stepin (1/28, 31e), Krasnokutskaya & Popov (1/29, 31m)

The Swan (Saint-Saëns/Fokine)
Lopatkina (1/27), Shapran (1/28, 31m), Skorik (1/29, 31e), Kondaurova (1/30, 2/1m)

Paquita Grand Pas (Minkus/Petipa)
Soloists: Lopatkina & Ivanchenko (1/27), Kondaurova & Yermakov (1/28, 31m), A. Matvienko & Askerov (1/29, 31e), Skorik & Ivanchenko (1/30, 2/1m)
Variations: Ivannikova, Shapran, Sodoleva, Asaben, A. Matvienko (1/27, 28, 31m); Nikitina, Shapran, Sodoleva, Asaben, Kondaurova (1/29); Ivannikova, Kondaurova, Sodoleva, Asaben, A. Matvienko (1/30, 2/1m); Ivannikova, Shapran, Sodoleva, Asaben, Kondaurova (1/31e)

I bought a ticket to only the opening night long ago, assuming that it would be the best cast. Now I feel as if I've won the lottery, with the only Lopatkina appearance & in two ballets. Now let's hope that it sticks.

Couldn't help but notice that DC will once again be a "Somova No-Fly Zone"...at least for the time being.

Another reason to celebrate: Shapran & Kimin in Spectre de la Rose!

On the other hand... Pavlenko relegated to Sacre, stomping in clown makeup? Not even a solo in Paquita to show off her gorgeous classicism, fit physique, and the most beautiful face in the company. That is cruel.

I certainly am glad I'm getting to see Kim in DC because he is apparently not coming to BAM. I wish someone would explain that to me. On the one hand, Gergiev complains the Mariinsky has no new stars. On the other hand, he refuses to let a dancer who could be a star be seen in NY. Filin actively promoted Smirnova to make her a star. Gergiev (or Fateyev) doesn't only seem unwilling to do that, they seem to be actively hiding this guy (I believe Kim is the only dancer going only to DC).

I certainly am glad I'm getting to see Kim in DC because he is apparently not coming to BAM. I wish someone would explain that to me. On the one hand, Gergiev complains the Mariinsky has no new stars. On the other hand, he refuses to let a dancer who could be a star be seen in NY. Filin actively promoted Smirnova to make her a star. Gergiev (or Fateyev) doesn't only seem unwilling to do that, they seem to be actively hiding this guy (I believe Kim is the only dancer going only to DC).

He is scheduled to appear in the Russian Icons Gala in London on 8th March 2015 ... alongside other notables ... as he did in 2014. Might it be he may not have been available for those specific dates at BAM?

Re; 8th March

The programme accompanied by the orchestra of the English National Ballet will be performed by Sarah Lamb, Steven McRae, Vadim Muntagirov, Marianela Nuñez, Natalia Osipova, Thiago Soares, Edward Watson (Royal Ballet), Semyon Chudin, Dmitry Gudanov, Artem Ovcharenko, Olga Smirnova, Anna Tikhomirova (Bolshoi Ballet), Kim Kimin, Xander Parish, Kristina Shapran, Alina Somova (Mariinsky Theatre), Alina Cojocaru, Tamara Rojo (English National Ballet), Mathieu Ganio, Dorothée Gilbert (Ballet de l’Opéra de Paris), Iana Salenko, Marian Walter (Berlin Staatsballett), Chase Finlay, Lauren Lovette (New York City Ballet), Kenneth Greve, Daria Makhateli (Finnish National Ballet), Bernice Coppieters (Ballets de Monte Carlo), Daria Klimentova, Giuseppe Picone and Igor Zelensky.

At his home base in St. Petersburg he is not being hidden at all. In fact, he is given so much that you can not "not" see him. I think he is talented, but there are many others at the Mariinsky with just as much talent or more, and my main problem is that he has this general all-purpose grin throughout his roles that never seems to change. He has the ability to knock your socks off in roles like the Golden Idol, but in full-length dramatic roles I find him very lacking. I would rather see Yermakov or Stepin anyday.

Kim out of opening Spectre at Kenn Cen, although he's still shown on some later performances. Boo!!!

Lopatkina still shown for opening Swan and Paquita lead. Please let that come to pass!

Of course Mariinsky casting antics:( But I'm excited because now Kim is performing Spectre both nights I'm there (1/30e, 1/31e), the first night with Shapran, the second night with Selina. Yay!!

Meanwhile, also in Spectre, Popov (dancing with Krasnokutskaya) has been replaced by Latypov (never heard of him). That's too bad because from what I've seen on YT, Popov is a gifted dancer with great ballon and beats.

The leads in Pacquita, the Swan and Sacre seem unchanged.

Kim out of opening Spectre at Kenn Cen, although he's still shown on some later performances. Boo!!!

Lopatkina still shown for opening Swan and Paquita lead. Please let that come to pass!

Of course Mariinsky casting antics:( But I'm excited because now Kim is performing Spectre both nights I'm there (1/30e, 1/31e), the first night with Shapran, the second night with Selina. Yay!!

Meanwhile, also in Spectre, Popov (dancing with Krasnokutskaya) has been replaced by Latypov (never heard of him). That's too bad because from what I've seen on YT, Popov is a gifted dancer with great ballon and beats.

The leads in Pacquita, the Swan and Sacre seem unchanged.

I'm happy that you 'll see Kim, abatt. :)

At today's prices and economic situation, I refuse to pay for more than one show of which the longest ballet is SACRE. I won't sit through 45 minutes of stomping just to see 4 minutes of Kim Kimin...and no casting is guaranteed until the curtain goes up.

Latest change: Sodoleva now replaced by Marchuk in 3rd variation at all performances of Paquita.

Ernest Latypov is fantastic, by the way. He graduated a couple of years ago. He danced Swan Lake pas de trois at one KennCen performance a year ago, I believe.

Ernest Latypov is fantastic, by the way. He graduated a couple of years ago. He danced Swan Lake pas de trois at one KennCen performance a year ago, I believe.

You are correct, he did dance the pas de trois and I agree, he was fantastic. Gorgeous line and great elevation, too bad I'm not going to see him this time out but maybe he'll dance the pdt in NY (I hope)!

At today's prices and economic situation, I refuse to pay for more than one show of which the longest ballet is SACRE. I won't sit through 45 minutes of stomping just to see 4 minutes of Kim Kimin

I'm sorry we are not seeing Latypov at BAM (I think) but I'll still take those 4 minutes of Kim, thank you.

I'm happy that you 'll see Kim, abatt. smile.png

BTW, it's me, Amour, that's seeing Kim Natalia, not abatt. She's not coming to DC this year, I believe.

Right. I'm skipping DC this year.

Mixing my "A" fellow Mariinsky fans.

I can't wait to hear comments during the first intermission at Kennedy Center, after the 40-45 minutes of SACRE that opens the show. Hopefully we won't lose audience...I'll do whatever to reassure potential skeptics to stick around...tutus, tiaras and pointe shoes are coming....I promise!

What I'll be looking for tonight in Paquita Grand Pas:

Will the corps of ladies be sharper, more precise/uniform in this classical Petipa gem than they were at NY City Center in April 2008? I was taken aback and saddened by their general sloppiness then. True, super coach Nina Ukhova was not with them at the time.

Will Lopatkina be as fantastic as she was as Paquita in that same performance - very charming and relaxed; not ice-princess robot? It sounds as if 'Passionate Uliana' was at BAM...and I'll never forget her 'hot' Zobeide in Scheherazade here in DC, a couple of years ago.

How will the young choryphees fare in the solos, e,g., Oksana Marchuk, Anastasia Asaben, who I've only seen live as corps so far but was very impressive on Burlaka's Humpbacked Horse during her graduation from Vaganova in 2011?

How will one of the superstars of that fabled Class of 2011, Kristina Shapran, fare in Spectre de la Rose, with Schklyarov, who didn't seem so strong in Swan Lake a year ago, but has improved, according to Macauley?

Then, of course, there will be Lopatkina in Fokine's Swan. How has she enriched her interpretation?

For the Nijinsky/Hodson Rite of Spring, I'm wondering if the complete colorful designs will be presented in DC? Hope so. Sometimes they omit certain design elements - such as the colorful flooring - when on tour. Let's see.

For the Nijinsky/Hodson Rite of Spring, I'm wondering if the complete colorful designs will be presented in DC? Hope so. Sometimes they omit certain design elements - such as the colorful flooring - when on tour. Let's see.

I love that floor, except when the company did a Diaghilev triple bill on film a few years ago, with way too many overhead shots -- the design on the floor was making me woozy!

I agree. However, when seen live on stage, those Roehrich designs - as revived by Mr. Archer - are THE highlight of this ballet, to me. It would be very disappointing to not see the full designs on tour. Some of the tour publicity photos show the full designs, some show the cheapened version (bare floor and no backdrop). Since this is such an important your, I'm thinking that we'll get The Full Monty. :)

Fantastic KC opening last night. For me, it was all about two delights - two extraordinary ballerinas. Of course, divine Uliana Lopatkina is one of them (sensitive Swan and charismatic Paquita lead). However, it's new 1st soloist Kristina Shapran (Spectre and 2nd Paquita solo) who made last night very special. Finest graduate of the Vaganova Acad since Obraztsova on '02. Period.

Kristina Shapran was BORN to be Giselle, I can tell just by seeing her yearning poses at the start and end of Spectre. I will travel wherever and whenever to catch this Giselle. It will be one for the ages. The bravos for Shapran were enormous during curtain calls for Paquita. This is a knowledgeable audience!

Fans will be happy to know that the Paquita pas de trois is being danced on this tour, even though this was not revealed in the KC's website casting. Last night it was splendidly essayed by Selina (songbird solo), Batoeva (solo w/ petit batterie) and magnificent, high-flying Fillip Styopin. With those high entrchats, he is surely the Mariinsky's Bluebird of choice. He was definitely my #1 male star of the night.

I survived 45 minutes of Sacre du Printemps at the beginning of the night. Thank goodness, the full designs by Roerich were on view. However, we lost at least one middle-aged couple who sat in front of us, due to boredom, following Sacre. Most of the full house stuck around, to be rewarded by pointe shoes and classicism during the rest of the night.

Lastly, did I mention Kristina Shapran? :)

My only disappointment in the past with Shapran is that she does the Spessivtseva variation in Giselle in a modifed way. Basically, she does not hop on pointe the whole length of the stage. Instead, she sets the foot down, and she turns a couple of times and does a few more hops and then puts the foot down and turns and then continues. At least that is how she danced it at the Mikhailovsky. Maybe this is a viable alternative that has been done in the past (I know Skorik has danced it that way also), but I think most fans love to see Mariinsky dancers hop across the entire stage during the ballones (and they usually hop forever across that long stage at home)...