This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Kennedy Center Jan 2015- Rite of Spring and others

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

Mariinsky Ballet

Le Sacre du printemps (Stravinsky/Hodson inspired by Nijinsky)

Le Spectre de la rose (Weber/Fokine)

Dying Swan (Saint-Saëns/Fokine)

Paquita Grand Pas (Minkus/Petipa)

January 27, 2015 – February 1, 2015

See press release

http://web.kennedy-c.../press/releases

#2 SimonA

SimonA

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:12 AM

Casting is up:

Le Sacre du printemps (Stravinsky/Hodson inspired by Nijinsky)

Pavlenko (1/27, 29, 31m, 2/1m), Petushkova (1/28, 30, 31e)

Le Spectre de la Rose (Weber/Fokine)
Shapran & Kim (1/27, 30, 2/1m), Selina & Stepin (1/28, 31e), Krasnokutskaya & Popov (1/29, 31m)

The Swan (Saint-Saëns/Fokine)
Lopatkina (1/27), Shapran (1/28, 31m), Skorik (1/29, 31e), Kondaurova (1/30, 2/1m)

Paquita Grand Pas (Minkus/Petipa)
Soloists: Lopatkina & Ivanchenko (1/27), Kondaurova & Yermakov (1/28, 31m), A. Matvienko & Askerov (1/29, 31e), Skorik & Ivanchenko (1/30, 2/1m)
Variations: Ivannikova, Shapran, Sodoleva, Asaben, A. Matvienko (1/27, 28, 31m); Nikitina, Shapran, Sodoleva, Asaben, Kondaurova (1/29); Ivannikova, Kondaurova, Sodoleva, Asaben, A. Matvienko (1/30, 2/1m); Ivannikova, Shapran, Sodoleva, Asaben, Kondaurova (1/31e)

#3 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:26 AM

I bought a ticket to only the opening night long ago, assuming that it would be the best cast. Now I feel as if I've won the lottery, with the only Lopatkina appearance & in two ballets. Now let's hope that it sticks.

Couldn't help but notice that DC will once again be a "Somova No-Fly Zone"...at least for the time being.

#4 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:37 AM

Somova has also been removed from the BAM casting.  Apparently she will not be coming on the US mini tour to Brooklyn and DC.

#5 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:15 AM

Another reason to celebrate: Shapran & Kimin in Spectre de la Rose!

On the other hand... Pavlenko relegated to Sacre, stomping in clown makeup? Not even a solo in Paquita to show off her gorgeous classicism, fit physique, and the most beautiful face in the company. That is cruel.

#6 Amour

Amour

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:48 AM

I certainly am glad I'm getting to see Kim in DC because he is apparently not coming to BAM. I wish someone would explain that to me. On the one hand, Gergiev complains the Mariinsky has no new stars. On the other hand, he refuses to let a dancer who could be a star be seen in NY. Filin actively promoted Smirnova to make her a star. Gergiev (or Fateyev) doesn't only seem unwilling to do that, they seem to be actively hiding this guy (I believe Kim is the only dancer going only to DC).

#7 meunier fan

meunier fan

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:26 AM

I certainly am glad I'm getting to see Kim in DC because he is apparently not coming to BAM. I wish someone would explain that to me. On the one hand, Gergiev complains the Mariinsky has no new stars. On the other hand, he refuses to let a dancer who could be a star be seen in NY. Filin actively promoted Smirnova to make her a star. Gergiev (or Fateyev) doesn't only seem unwilling to do that, they seem to be actively hiding this guy (I believe Kim is the only dancer going only to DC).

He is scheduled to appear in the Russian Icons Gala in London on 8th March 2015  ... alongside other notables ...  as he did in 2014.  Might it be he may not have been available for those specific dates at BAM?

Re; 8th March

The programme accompanied by the orchestra of the English National Ballet will be performed by Sarah Lamb, Steven McRae, Vadim Muntagirov, Marianela Nuñez, Natalia Osipova, Thiago Soares, Edward Watson (Royal Ballet), Semyon Chudin, Dmitry Gudanov, Artem Ovcharenko, Olga Smirnova, Anna Tikhomirova (Bolshoi Ballet), Kim Kimin, Xander Parish, Kristina Shapran, Alina Somova (Mariinsky Theatre), Alina Cojocaru, Tamara Rojo (English National Ballet), Mathieu Ganio, Dorothée Gilbert (Ballet de l’Opéra de Paris), Iana Salenko, Marian Walter (Berlin Staatsballett), Chase Finlay, Lauren Lovette (New York City Ballet), Kenneth Greve, Daria Makhateli (Finnish National Ballet), Bernice Coppieters (Ballets de Monte Carlo), Daria Klimentova, Giuseppe Picone and Igor Zelensky.

#8 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:10 AM

At his home base in St. Petersburg he is not being hidden at all. In fact, he is given so much that you can not "not" see him. I think he is talented, but there are many others at the Mariinsky with just as much talent or more, and my main problem is that he has this general all-purpose grin throughout his roles that never seems to change. He has the ability to knock your socks off in roles like the Golden Idol, but in full-length dramatic roles I find him very lacking. I would rather see Yermakov or Stepin anyday.

#9 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:00 PM

Kim out of opening Spectre at Kenn Cen, although he's still shown on some later performances. Boo!!!

Lopatkina still shown for opening Swan and Paquita lead. Please let that come to pass!

#10 Amour

Amour

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:39 AM

Kim out of opening Spectre at Kenn Cen, although he's still shown on some later performances. Boo!!!
Lopatkina still shown for opening Swan and Paquita lead. Please let that come to pass!

Of course Mariinsky casting antics:( But I'm excited because now Kim is performing Spectre both nights I'm there (1/30e, 1/31e), the first night with Shapran, the second night with Selina. Yay!!

Meanwhile, also in Spectre, Popov (dancing with Krasnokutskaya) has been replaced by Latypov (never heard of him). That's too bad because from what I've seen on YT, Popov is a gifted dancer with great ballon and beats.

The leads in Pacquita, the Swan and Sacre seem unchanged.

#11 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:06 AM

Of course Mariinsky casting antics:( But I'm excited because now Kim is performing Spectre both nights I'm there (1/30e, 1/31e), the first night with Shapran, the second night with Selina. Yay!!
Meanwhile, also in Spectre, Popov (dancing with Krasnokutskaya) has been replaced by Latypov (never heard of him). That's too bad because from what I've seen on YT, Popov is a gifted dancer with great ballon and beats.
The leads in Pacquita, the Swan and Sacre seem unchanged.
I'm happy that you 'll see Kim, abatt. :)

At today's prices and economic situation, I refuse to pay for more than one show of which the longest ballet is SACRE. I won't sit through 45 minutes of stomping just to see 4 minutes of Kim Kimin...and no casting is guaranteed until the curtain goes up.

Latest change: Sodoleva now replaced by Marchuk in 3rd variation at all performances of Paquita.

Ernest Latypov is fantastic, by the way. He graduated a couple of years ago. He danced Swan Lake pas de trois at one KennCen performance a year ago, I believe.

#12 nysusan

nysusan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:57 AM

Ernest Latypov is fantastic, by the way. He graduated a couple of years ago. He danced Swan Lake pas de trois at one KennCen performance a year ago, I believe.

You are correct, he did dance the pas de trois and I agree, he was fantastic. Gorgeous line and great elevation, too bad I'm not going to see him this time out but maybe he'll dance the pdt in NY (I hope)!

#13 Amour

Amour

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:56 PM

At today's prices and economic situation, I refuse to pay for more than one show of which the longest ballet is SACRE. I won't sit through 45 minutes of stomping just to see 4 minutes of Kim Kimin

I'm sorry we are not seeing Latypov at BAM (I think) but I'll still take those 4 minutes of Kim, thank you.

I'm happy that you 'll see Kim, abatt. smile.png

BTW, it's me, Amour, that's seeing Kim Natalia, not abatt. She's not coming to DC this year, I believe.

#14 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:16 AM

Right.  I'm skipping DC this year. 

#15 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:34 AM

Right.  I'm skipping DC this year.

Mixing my "A" fellow Mariinsky fans.

I can't wait to hear comments during the first intermission at Kennedy Center, after the 40-45 minutes of SACRE that opens the show. Hopefully we won't lose audience...I'll do whatever to reassure potential skeptics to stick around...tutus, tiaras and pointe shoes are coming....I promise!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):