This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

POB 2014-2015 season

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

The POB used to perform Swan Lake more frequently than it does now. The company's online archive shows that the ballet was performed during the following seasons, since the mid-1980s:

1984-85
1985-86
1987-88
1989-90
1991-92
1992-93
1994-95
1997-98
1998-99
1999-2000

2002-03
2005-06
2010-11

http://www.memopera.fr 

#17 sasark

sasark

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

Oh wow -- thanks for the great info!

#18 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

Holy moly. The POB has posted casting for it's Christmas marathon: The Nutcracker and La Source this year. I was so struck that it should be published so far in advance by POB standards, that I actually felt compelled to post the links here.

http://www.operadepa...-rudolf-noureev

http://www.operadepa...-guillaume-bart

#19 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

That is remarkably far in advance. Maybe something to do with Millepied?

#20 Lcg

Lcg

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:44 PM

For many years the POB casting was listed very far ahead. If I recall it was for each on sale period. Then injuries became a problem and for the past few years casting was last minute. The principals, however, have always know their dates months ahead, except for injuries/replacements.

#21 silvermash

silvermash

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:28 PM

For many years the POB casting was listed very far ahead. If I recall it was for each on sale period. Then injuries became a problem and for the past few years casting was last minute. The principals, however, have always know their dates months ahead, except for injuries/replacements.

The casting has never been really known that much in advance, but it was common years ago to know the principals at least before the tickets were on sale, but I also remember that tickets were not that much sold in advance as now (this year for example, all the season will be on sale in January!!!) 

As for the Etoiles themselves, they are treated just like us!!! They know which ballet they are going to dance for the season but they don't know the dates.   

#22 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:15 AM

The casting has never been really known that much in advance, but it was common years ago to know the principals at least before the tickets were on sale, but I also remember that tickets were not that much sold in advance as now (this year for example, all the season will be on sale in January!!!) 

A lot of organizations have started to do this (Met Opera, New York City Ballet) because they make more money the earlier they can sell tickets.   It makes things crazy on the day tickets go on sale at the box office, but that's a small price to pay in view of the financial benefits to be reaped by the company. 

#23 silvermash

silvermash

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:34 AM

Well, in Paris, they did it progressively. I first noticed it last year because they changed some dates without any announcement in the middle of the season (there is a schedule of sales dates -internet, phone and box office- per show published at the beginning of each season)

The new direction seems to be advertising they have chosen to publish early casting (Millepied himself but also the deputy director of the Opera have tweeted in that sense). We will see if they keep going on, at least for the traditional ballets of the repertoire: It seems trickier with contemporary repertoire and when choreographers are still alive. Rain casting is not up yet and Première is October 21st. But I don't think there is any Etoile dancing this ballet, it might be of importance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):