This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

POB 2014-2015 season

POB 2014-2015 season is online

http://www.operadeparis.fr/saison-2014-2015/ballet

Etudes (Lander) /Woundwork 1, Pas./Part (Forsythe)

Rain (De Keersmaeker)

La Source (Bart)

Nutcracker (Noureev)

Repliques (Paul), Salut (Rigal) creation, AndreAuria (Lock)

Le Chant de la terre (Neumeier) creation

Swan Lake (Noureev)

Manon (MacMillan)

Paquita (Lacotte)

Children of paradise (Martinez)

La Fille mal gardée (Ashton)

Anatomie de la sensation (McGregor)

Guest companies

Tanztheater Wuppertal: Three cigaresttes in the dark (Bausch)

Royal Swedish Ballet : Julia og Romeo (Ek)

Any retirements for this season? Although I'm not a big Swan Lake fan, the Nureyev production is simply breathtaking with the white acts. I suppose it will be performed in L'Opéra Bastille (haven't been there before). Perhaps I will give it a go

Nutcracker, Swan Lake and Anatomie de la sensation will be performed in Bastille opera

I was excited to see "Swan Lake" on the list. Does anyone know how typical it is for SL to show up on their calendar? Maybe it's not an answerable question with a new director coming in.... I'm just wondering whether, if I don't make it next spring, I'd have to wait years for them to do it again. Making it more complicated (for me), the Royal Danish Ballet is also doing a new SL around the same time, and I'm curious to see that. Oh, decisions....

thanks,
Sasha

Holy moly. The POB has posted casting for it's Christmas marathon: The Nutcracker and La Source this year. I was so struck that it should be published so far in advance by POB standards, that I actually felt compelled to post the links here.

http://www.operadeparis.fr/saison-2014-2015/ballet/casse-noisette-rudolf-noureev

http://www.operadeparis.fr/saison-2014-2015/ballet/la-source-jean-guillaume-bart

For many years the POB casting was listed very far ahead. If I recall it was for each on sale period. Then injuries became a problem and for the past few years casting was last minute. The principals, however, have always know their dates months ahead, except for injuries/replacements.

For many years the POB casting was listed very far ahead. If I recall it was for each on sale period. Then injuries became a problem and for the past few years casting was last minute. The principals, however, have always know their dates months ahead, except for injuries/replacements.

The casting has never been really known that much in advance, but it was common years ago to know the principals at least before the tickets were on sale, but I also remember that tickets were not that much sold in advance as now (this year for example, all the season will be on sale in January!!!)

As for the Etoiles themselves, they are treated just like us!!! They know which ballet they are going to dance for the season but they don't know the dates.

The casting has never been really known that much in advance, but it was common years ago to know the principals at least before the tickets were on sale, but I also remember that tickets were not that much sold in advance as now (this year for example, all the season will be on sale in January!!!)

A lot of organizations have started to do this (Met Opera, New York City Ballet) because they make more money the earlier they can sell tickets. It makes things crazy on the day tickets go on sale at the box office, but that's a small price to pay in view of the financial benefits to be reaped by the company.

Well, in Paris, they did it progressively. I first noticed it last year because they changed some dates without any announcement in the middle of the season (there is a schedule of sales dates -internet, phone and box office- per show published at the beginning of each season)

The new direction seems to be advertising they have chosen to publish early casting (Millepied himself but also the deputy director of the Opera have tweeted in that sense). We will see if they keep going on, at least for the traditional ballets of the repertoire: It seems trickier with contemporary repertoire and when choreographers are still alive. Rain casting is not up yet and Première is October 21st. But I don't think there is any Etoile dancing this ballet, it might be of importance.

A lot of organizations have started to do this (Met Opera, New York City Ballet) because they make more money the earlier they can sell tickets. It makes things crazy on the day tickets go on sale at the box office, but that's a small price to pay in view of the financial benefits to be reaped by the company.

Does this mean that, for any given performance, no seats are held in reserve for selling at a later time?

When I emailed the theater a few weeks ago, I was assured that "All tickets will be on sale [at the same time] except those which have been sold during the subscription period." I assume that's probably true, but I just wondered if anyone has heard anything different. I saw in an earlier thread that tickets for Opera Bastille performances are released in blocks, with a small number being made available at the theater the day of the event. That might be obsolete guidance, but I was curious about it.

My reason for asking -- I've been trying to book tickets for Swan Lake, which just became available for Internet sale today. I got tickets for one evening that I wanted, but another is already shown as sold out. I am just wondering if there is any reason to keep checking back to see if tickets come available.

thanks a lot,

Sasha

Well, everything is unclear about the tickets sales policy! With the new direction, perhaps it will change? All I can tell is what I have observed the last few years. And indeed, they are sometimes releasing tickets after the saling date, so if you can check regularly, don't hesitate. Sometimes, few tickets are reappearing the week before the shows, it's returns from agencies.

Also, tomorrow, the box office and phone sales begin so you may give a try, although I believe the sold out dates will be difficult to get, especially the unique Friday and Saturday shows this season!!!