This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ethan Stiefel Will Not Renew Royal NZ Ballet Contract

I saw this in the NY Times today. I can't say I'm surprised only because NZ is very far from his family. From the recent reviews I've read, he's done a lot of wonderful things for that company, not the least of which is giving the company a more international presence.

I really hope he comes back to NYC (to teach, or join a company as a ballet master, or...). And, I can't help but wonder if his time directing the RNZ Ballet (plus his teaching experience globally as well as his position as dean at NCSA) could position him to become the next AD of ABT.

And, I can't help but wonder if his time directing the RNZ Ballet (plus his teaching experience globally as well as his position as dean at NCSA) could position him to become the next AD of ABT.

I would support that wholeheartedly.

Same here...

I wish Stiefel well. It's perhaps a shame he couldn't remain to build on his accomplishments with New Zealand Ballet, but his reasons aren't surprising.

I agree w. Vipa that NYCB is doing rather well right now. In any case it is probably not going to choose as Martins' successor an NYCB dancer who left the company very early in his career and has no special relationship to the Balanchine repertory or any other NYCB repertory. I think they will look to someone with a longer history with the company. (And I think that is what they should do...)

But I don't doubt Stiefel has a great contribution to make wherever his career takes him.

It will be very hard. when the time comes, to replace Peter Martins.

I agree Amy. Martins has in some ways had a bumpy road, but eventually came into his own (IMO). The next AD will likely not have worked with Balanchine.

ABT is such a different animal. I'd love Ethan S. to replace KM

I always assumed Darci Kistler would take over after Peter retired. I think Damian Woetzel would be a wonderful choice for the future NYCB leader.

Steifel has a history of jumping from job to job and company to company. Of course, he is free to do that, and maybe we can chalk it up to youthful restlessness. (Wasn't he Dean of North Carolina School for the Arts for a brief stint?) His past history would suggest that any ballet company looking for stable leadership over a period of time might have a negative view of this.

Steifel has a history of jumping from job to job and company to company. Of course, he is free to do that, and maybe we can chalk it up to youthful restlessness. (Wasn't he Dean of North Carolina School for the Arts for a brief stint?) His past history would suggest that any ballet company looking for stable leadership over a period of time might have a negative view of this.

I disagree with that. Stiefel danced with NYCB for about 5 years, Zurich Ballet for one yr, and ABT for 15 years. He was dean at NCSA for 4 years and by the time he leaves NZB in the fall, that'll be 4 years there. I'd hardly say that's jumping from job to job or company to company. And, while at ABT during his later years, though he was dancing less he was also teaching, juggling his job at NCSA and later at NZB during his first year there. His long career at ABT (where he was much loved) would be appealing I think to the board if/when the time comes to choose a new AD. Of course there could be other highly qualified candidates too, but I think Stiefel would be great choice.

I do think Damian Woetzel would be a great choice for AD at NYCB.