15 replies to this topic

#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,020 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:05 PM

According to the Royal New Zealand Ballet website, Ethan Stiefel will not renew his contract with Royal New Zealand ballet and [h]e will return to the USA at the beginning of September to pursue new opportunities in his homeland."

#2 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

I saw this in the NY Times today.  I can't say I'm surprised only because NZ is very far from his family.  From the recent reviews I've read, he's done a lot of wonderful things for that company, not the least of which is giving the company a more international presence.

I really hope he comes back to NYC (to teach, or join a company as a ballet master, or...).  And, I can't help but wonder if his time directing the RNZ Ballet (plus his teaching experience globally as well as his position as dean at NCSA) could position him to become the next AD of ABT. 

#3 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:40 AM

And, I can't help but wonder if his time directing the RNZ Ballet (plus his teaching experience globally as well as his position as dean at NCSA) could position him to become the next AD of ABT. 

I would support that wholeheartedly.

#4 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

And, I can't help but wonder if his time directing the RNZ Ballet (plus his teaching experience globally as well as his position as dean at NCSA) could position him to become the next AD of ABT. 

I would support that wholeheartedly.

Same here...

#5 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

Better yet -- NYCBtiphat.gif

#6 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

My fantasy: ABT AD and thus principal artist promotion for Ms. Abrera!

#7 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

ABT is definitely my fantasy.  IMO NYCB is doing OK.

#8 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

I wish Stiefel well. It's perhaps a shame he couldn't remain to build on his accomplishments with New Zealand Ballet, but his reasons aren't surprising.

I agree w. Vipa that NYCB is doing rather well right now. In any case it is probably not going to choose as Martins' successor an NYCB dancer who left the company very early in his career and has no special relationship to the Balanchine repertory or any other NYCB repertory. I think they will look to someone with a longer history with the company. (And I think that is what they should do...)

But I don't doubt Stiefel has a great contribution to make wherever his career takes him.

#9 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

My fantasy: ABT AD and thus principal artist promotion for Ms. Abrera!

I am praying to Terpsichore for this!

#10 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

It will be very hard. when the time comes, to replace Peter Martins.

#11 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

It will be very hard. when the time comes, to replace Peter Martins.

I agree Amy.  Martins has in some ways had a bumpy road, but eventually came into his own (IMO). The next AD will likely not have worked with Balanchine.

ABT is such a different animal. I'd love Ethan S. to replace KM

#12 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:04 AM

I always assumed Darci Kistler would take over after Peter retired.  I think Damian Woetzel would be a wonderful choice for the future NYCB leader.

Steifel has a history of jumping from job to job and company to company. Of course, he is free to do that, and maybe we can chalk it up to youthful restlessness.  (Wasn't he Dean of North Carolina School for the Arts for a brief stint?) His past history would suggest that any ballet company looking for stable leadership over a period of time might have a negative view of this. 

#13 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:45 AM

I agree that he would be an ideal AD  for ABT, but as others also think  I cannot see him fitting into the .NYCB. repertoire

#14 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

Steifel has a history of jumping from job to job and company to company. Of course, he is free to do that, and maybe we can chalk it up to youthful restlessness.  (Wasn't he Dean of North Carolina School for the Arts for a brief stint?) His past history would suggest that any ballet company looking for stable leadership over a period of time might have a negative view of this. 

I disagree with that.  Stiefel danced with NYCB for about 5 years, Zurich Ballet for one yr, and ABT for 15 years.  He was dean at NCSA for 4 years and by the time he leaves NZB in the fall, that'll be 4 years there.  I'd hardly say that's jumping from job to job or company to company.  And, while at ABT during his later years, though he was dancing less he was also teaching, juggling his job at NCSA and later at NZB during his first year there.  His long career at ABT (where he was much loved) would be appealing I think to the board if/when the time comes to choose a new AD.  Of course there could be other highly qualified candidates too, but I think Stiefel would be great choice.

I do think Damian Woetzel would be a great choice for AD at NYCB.

#15 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,873 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

Four years isn't so great. The bare minimum, I'd say, particularly for anyone who has his eye on bigger fish. Stiefel does seem to have done well  enough by the RNZB, however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):