This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Monday, March 3

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

Boston Ballet announces the lineup for its 2014-15 season.

That’s followed, March 19-29, by “Shades of Sound.” The first of the three pieces, Wayne McGregor’s “Chroma,” is an encore presentation from the 2012-13 season, but George Balanchine’s “Episodes” and Hans van Manen’s “Black Cake” are new to Boston Ballet. Balanchine created “Episodes,” to music by Anton Webern, as part of a two-part ballet with Martha Graham in 1959. Nissinen calls it “an absolute masterpiece, a piece I have always loved. I have been waiting until I had the right company, the right artists, to do it.” “Black Cake,” from 1989, takes place at a society party where the guests get tipsy. Nissinen describes this program as “sort of a dark evening, and to have a black comedy at the end I think is a perfect match.”

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

An obituary for the costume designer Edwin Huntingdon Parker, who has died at age 72.

He worked with the renowned dancer Judith Jamison and toured with the company throughout the U.S., North Africa, the former Soviet Union and Europe.

Doing wardrobes was often a challenging enterprise. Once in Morocco, part of the company's cargo was lost and Parker had to go shopping for yellow straw hats used in a number for the company's popular "Revelations" ballet.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

A review of New York City Ballet by Sondra Forsyth for Broadway World.

As a welcome surprise during the New York City Ballet matinée on Saturday, March 1st 2014 at the Koch Theater, the recently renovated orchestra pit rose so that Interim Music Director Andrews Sills could give us an interesting history lesson with the musicians in full view. Under the direction of Guest Conductor Henrik Vagn Christensen, they played passages from Debussy's "Prelude to an Afternoon of a Faun" and from works by Saint-Saëns, Wagner, and Chopin while Sills explained that Debussy was "a bridge" between the legacy of the romantic age and the modern era.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

The Hamburg Ballet meets with  misfortune in Chicago.

It didn't. No one was injured, and there was no structural damage to the building, but Harris Theater president and managing director Michael Tiknis says a powerful electrical surge, probably caused by leaking water (the outdoor temperature had risen to 45 degrees that day), had burned out the controls for the theater's sprinkler system. The Harris would be shut down for at least two weeks. The Hamburg Ballet, traveling with about 100 dancers and staff members, returned to Germany two days later, its performances canceled. Neumeier issued a statement saying he was devastated; this was the only time he'd had to cancel in his 44 years as a ballet director. 

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:17 AM

Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg will dance together in Australia.

Emailing from Hamburg, Cojocaru writes: “I am sure it will be a very inspiring journey of discovering and developing a connection with everybody.”

She says at the RB “the artist in me became starved for inspiration and challenges”. For Kobborg, the RB could offer security “but it just didn’t really do much for me any more. And if Alina wasn’t going to be there. She wanted to do something different and I support her. You have to put yourself in situations where you don’t feel too secure. To experiment, if that’s the right word. It’s about art, not about re-creating the past.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):