This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I did not see most of this year's films-(with the exception of "Blue jasmine")-,although I plan to at a later time-(with the exception of Bullock's).

Making a little note on how disrespectful I think the audience was with 81 Y.O Kim Novak, not even bothering to stand up for an ovation to the elderly star. Shameful.

Didn't watch but took offense to the joke on Liza Minnelli.

It was tasteless, yes (though not anywhere near as awful as last year's jokes), but I did think that she has changed so fundamentally in the face that I'm not sure I would have know it to be her.

I thought the joke about Minnelli (yes, it was in poor taste, but I’ve heard worse at the Academy Awards) was the least of DeGeneres’ troubles last night. I have a high tolerance for Oscar tedium but last night really took the boredom biscuit. MacFarlane at least produced some funny stuff. DeGeneres had nuthin’. The selfie bit might have been okay the first time but she overworked it. As for the pizza bit, I’m sure the audience members appreciated the opportunity to get pizza sauce on their designer frocks and dinner jackets – Harrison Ford’s face was a picture, and later on there was a glimpse of Meryl Streep’s husband nobly scarfing his wife’s piece. She wasn’t helped by the terrible idea of showing montages from past Oscar-winning pictures and theme montages like “Heroes.” The show rolled on even longer than usual, the chief victim onstage being Idina Menzel, who suffered the double indignity of having her song cut short and John Travolta getting her name wrong.

I too was surprised that Novak didn’t get a big standing O. Given that they were hopping up and down on the flimsiest of pretexts (maybe they needed to stretch their legs) it’s hard to see why not.

John Travolta only had about 2 sentences to say. Was it too much to expect him to be able to pronounce Menzel's name. Disgraceful.

I found a lot of Ellen's schtick boring too. Strangely, this year the TV audience was larger than it has been in a long time.

The person who looked really scary was not Liza Minelli. It was Goldie Hawn. Is there any part of her face that's original at this point.

I'm glad that 12 Years won best picture. It was a deeply moving and haunting film.

I read that the ratings were up from last year, but only slightly. I hope this doesn’t mean she gets asked back next year.

I had no particular investment in any nominees this year. 12 Years is a good picture and also a nice safe Academy choice to recognize the struggle of black Americans. (No one’s going to argue that slavery wasn’t bad.) I knew it was in the bag for McConaughey as soon as Jared Leto’s name was announced. Good for him. No more Sarah Jessica Parker vehicles in his future!

re: Novak's tepid audience reaction...

I didn't notice the audience reaction, but thought that Matthew McConnaghy (sp?) did a lovely and tender job accompanying her.

She was just a presenter at Cannes, where she was indeed received in a much warmer, deserved manner. A lesson to learn from the New World...