This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Sara Mearns Dessert Plate

The Museum of Modern Art is selling a "Sara Mearns Dessert Plate". The perfect gift for all NYCB fans. Only problem: The person on the plate really doesn't look like Mearns, in my opinion.

http://www.momastore.org/museum/moma/ProductDisplay?purpose=crawl&catalogId=10451&categoryId=11502&productId=175580&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=26715&keyWord=Alex+Katz+Sara+Mearns+Dessert+Plate&storeId=10001

For a moment I thought you were talking about the SF MOMA, and their amazing cafe. These are some of the desserts they serve.

Cool! I want to go there when I'm in SF in May. But apparently the museum is closed for renovations? No cafe, then?

It looks like the collection is in several different locations around the area (making a virtue of necessity, I think) but alas, the cafe doesn't seem to be popping up on my search. But I'm a Seattle girl -- any SF people here who can give better information?

For a moment I thought you were talking about the SF MOMA, and their amazing cafe. These are some of the desserts they serve.

Cool! I want to go there when I'm in SF in May. But apparently the museum is closed for renovations? No cafe, then?

It looks like the collection is in several different locations around the area (making a virtue of necessity, I think) but alas, the cafe doesn't seem to be popping up on my search. But I'm a Seattle girl -- any SF people here who can give better information?

Yep, who cares about the art, it's the cake I want!

Yep, who cares about the art, it's the cake I want!

And if you get some, make sure you tell us about it!

The title is Sara (Mearns) if that makes a difference, but it does look a little like the SM's profile at her New York City Ballet page – yes with a little Wendy Whelan mixed in.

Here's Alex Katz's Edwin Denby (but not a plate), a little more to the point:

http://www.artnet.com/artists/alex-katz/portrait-of-edwin-denby-purple-series-mxQ9rYJd-J0rzqi2xrKFvw2

Paul Taylor:

http://www.alexkatz.com/projects/dance_collaborations/paul_taylor

And alas, the Rooftop Garden Blue Bottle Coffee Shop, as well as Caffe Museo, are gone, in the dust and rubble. The building by Mario Botta is only 15 years old and going through a big revovation while a new annex three times as large is being added. Caitlin Freeman was the pastry chef who made Mondrian cake and Richard Diebenkorn trifle. She has a book of recipes called Modern Arts Desserts about which more here:

http://www.modernartdesserts.com/

You all are a riot!!!! Sara Mearns? Okay. Something's wrong with this picture, er, plate. smilie_mondieu.gif

**OFF TOPIC** (for some reason I have no access to the icons to express this) Speaking of cake, AlbanyGirl, I still remember your fab chocolate cupcakes from Saratoga last year. I hope to be back there for NYCB this summer again. Hint, hint.

You all are a riot!!!! Sara Mearns? Okay. Something's wrong with this picture, er, plate. smilie_mondieu.gif

**OFF TOPIC** (for some reason I have no access to the icons to express this) Speaking of cake, AlbanyGirl, I still remember your fab chocolate cupcakes from Saratoga last year. I hope to be back there for NYCB this summer again. Hint, hint.

Hi Katherine - I didn't realize your reply was here; I thought it was a PM, so I PM'd you back, as you know. So all I'll say here is: Hints are noted....flowers.gif