This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Summer 2014 NYC & Saratoga Tour

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#46 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

I don't know why there're no performances on July 24 Thur. and July 26 Sat. matinee, they could easily sell out 2 more performances.

I thought the absence of a Thursday night performance on 7/24 was probably something as mundane as the need to change out the sets from Don Q to Spartacus and make sure everything fit in that theater. The change-over from Swan Lake to Don Q, of course, takes place on Monday, 7/21, when that house is normally dark anyway. But why they are skipping the matinees on Wednesday, 7/16 and Saturday, 7/26 (especially when they are doing matinees on the other Wednesday and Saturday) is something of a mystery.

Could they add performances at this late date? When they brought Don Q to Segerstrom for a week in 2010, they reportedly brought 100 dancers with them, so they likely will have enough dancers (although perhaps not enough principals?) in NYC to add performances, if they wanted to. 

#47 Amour

Amour

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

Bolshoi Ballet at State Theater is completely sold out. There're some wheel chair accessible seats available and they will be released to general public on the days of performances. And they are not selling standing rooms and It's unlikely they will sell them but they may change their mind. I don't know why there're no performances on July 24 Thur. and July 26 Sat. matinee, they could easily sell out 2 more performances.

Why the Bolshoi is performing at the Koch instead of the Met is a mystery to me. Yes, the sight lines are MUCH better at the Koch, but the stage and audience capacity is so much smaller. When the Mariinsky came 2 years ago and the Bolshoi about 7 years ago, they played the Met to, I believe, totally sold out houses. (Of course when the Bolshoi came in, I believe, 2002, they played the Koch.)

Between the lack of casting info early on, the confusion over selling tickets (both to programs & singles) it seems the LCF is incompetent.

#48 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

Yes the Koch is smaller, but as also noted by Amour it really is much better for the audience who DOES get in. So, in case anyone from LCF is reading -- let me go on record as delighted the company is performing at the Koch.  I definitely bought tickets for something like twice as many performances as I would have if it were dancing at the Met...

#49 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:07 AM

I think the MET may undergo renovations (painting and  similar fix ups) during certain summers, so it is not always available. They begin rehearsing their new productions in August, so there is not as much time off to do renovations as one might assume.

#50 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

However, one big problem is that the Bolshoi sets don't fit the NY State/Koch Theater stage.  The huge Metropolitan Opera House stage is about the same size as the Bolshoi stage.  This became evident back in the late 90's when the Bolshoi toured "Giselle" and they played the New York State Theater.  I was sitting up in the 4th ring and was bothered by the fact that I could see lighting units behind the painted flat greenery upstage.  Don't they realize we can see behind those flats?  Then I realized that at the Bolshoi the scenery would have been much further upstage since their stage is way deeper than the State Theater's.  So at the further perspective the lighting units would not have been visible in the higher sections of the theater.

I saw the Fadeyechev production of "Don Quixote" at the Met on the last Bolshoi tour and it really is a three-ring circus.  Masses of extras and dancers on every inch of the stage.  It could look very cramped on the Koch stage...

#51 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

Most Bolshoi productions were necessarily scaled down when they were performed on the smaller "new stage" during the renovation of the main theater. Conceivably, the Bolshoi could use the "new stage" sets at the Koch.

#52 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:20 AM

Ekaterina Shipulina has withdrawn from the New York tour. In her place Ekaterina Krysanova will dance Odette-Odile on the evening of July 19, and Kristina Kretova will dance Kitri on the evening of July 23. This also means that Kretova will not be dancing the Queen of the Dryads on the matinee of July 23, so Olga Smirnova dances the part on July 22 and 23m, while Anna Nikulina dances it on 23e.

http://www.bolshoi.r...cles/2014/2990/

#53 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

Ekaterina Shipulina has withdrawn from the New York tour. In her place Ekaterina Krysanova will dance Odette-Odile on the evening of July 19, and Kristina Kretova will dance Kitri on the evening of July 23. This also means that Kretova will not be dancing the Queen of the Dryads on the matinee of July 23, so Olga Smirnova dances the part on July 22 and 23m, while Anna Nikulina dances it on 23e.

Thanks for information. I have tickets for those performances, and will be there barring natural or other disaster...I was not uninterested in seeing Shipulina but am certainly quite pleased to be seeing Krysanova in Swan Lake as well as Don Q. (Don't mind seeing an additional Smirnova performance either.)

#54 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

Krysanova is much to be preferred in classical repertoire. Shipulina's forte is Modern and Contemporary.

#55 yudi

yudi

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

Don't they tell the casting for Espada, a toreador in Don Quixote?

innocent.gif

I am very happy to see that Krysanova would perform in all three ballets, especially in Swan Lake and Don Quixote. Krysanova has the most beautiful and expressive arms and hands among Bolshoi ballerinas. I was lucky to buy a returned ticket to see Krysanova and Skvortsov dancing in Swan Lake last year. I love their performances very much. Although Skvortsov would not come to New York this year, to see David Hallberg dancing with Krysanova in S.W. may not be bad at all.

yahoo.gif

Krysanova is simply the best Kitri in Bolshoi now. She seems to do all the difficult jumping and turning effortlessly. It would be very interesting to see how Chudin's Basil going. From what I saw in YouTube, Chudin is proudly holding a long neck straight all time, looking like there is a stick on his back and neck. That didn;t bother me when I saw him dancing in Diamonds last year. I was very impressed by his graceful jumping. I hope to see in D.Q. his neck & back would be more flexible.

flowers.gif

#56 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

Don't they tell the casting for Espada, a toreador in Don Quixote?

Casting for Espada is on the Lincoln Center Festival site, assuming it's being kept up to date.

http://www.lincolnce...son/don-quixote

#57 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

My one and only Swan Lake will be the Saturday matinee with Nikulina and Ovcharenko. I remember him from the telecast Sleepy Beauty where he danced the Bluebird and I liked him very much. Any opinions of Nikulina and/or what they will be like together?

Thanks!

#58 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

I have lots of opinions on the subject, but I'd rather you go in without preconceptions. smile.png

That said, if you haven't seen it before, it might be a good idea to watch the Grigorovich production in advance, just to get the shocks behind you, bearing in mind that the ending of the current production differs from what it was prior to 2001. The ballet was telecast in 2002 (Volochkova/Ivanchenko/Belogolovtsev) and filmed again in 2010 (Alexandrova/Skvortsov/Tsiskaridze); the current production reduces Siegfried's participation in the first-act waltz from what it had been at the initial revival and in the earlier film.

#59 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

Castings, synopsis, bios, and program notes are available to download as PDF file:
Tsar's Bride
Swan lake

Don Q and Spartacus not yet available.

Some orchestra prime seats just become available for 7/23 matinee at $300 each. Also, they may sell standing rooms on day of performance. ADA seats will be released to general public hours before the performance.

#60 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:07 AM

I saw the Tsar's Bride this weekend. I was unfamiliar with the opera going in.  I loved it.  The singers, chorus and orchestra were all excellent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):