Summer 2014 NYC & Saratoga Tour

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#346 yudi

yudi

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

That indeed is one of Smirnova's main problems and is going to be even a bigger problem for her in the future: her heavy bones and big joints are so distinct that they inevitably affect the purity of lines. This is particularly visible in the upper body (her arms, her neck) yet it also applies to her legs.

I feel so sorry for her.

innocent.gif 

#347 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

The ushers at Bayeriche Staatsoper in Munich are also very strict about taking pictures. They don't allow people to take pictures of the interior of the opera house during intermissions and are quite rude.

And no theatre in Japan allows taking pictures at curtain calls, they are really strict about that so no one dares to take any. 

#348 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

Kbarber, it is bizarre they don't let people take a group pic during intermission with nothing happening on stage. Very strange. It is like they are stuck on a rule and not thinking logically anymore. The whole point of forbidding picture taking is so the performance is not interrupted or disrupted and everyone can enjoy the performance. What on earth is the reason for no pics before, after and during intermissions????? How does that hurt anyone????

My reasoning exactly. Meanwhile, in Munich I was reprimanded by an usher for taking a picture of my group in the LOBBY during an intermission! Katherine Barber, reprimanded by ushers on three continents..
On a tour of the opera house in Stuttgart we were told we couldn't take pictures of the stage because the sets and costumes were copyrighted and it would be ok if we were just going to look at the pics ourselves but then they get posted on the internet with no attribution etc and they said it was just easier to say "no pics of whatever's on the stage". We were told in Denmark not to take pictures of the kids on the stage for a school performance but I don't know if that was because of privacy issues concerning pictures of children or the aforementioned copyright issues.

#349 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

We were told in Denmark not to take pictures of the kids on the stage for a school performance but I don't know if that was because of privacy issues concerning pictures of children or the aforementioned copyright issues.

I sort of understand the whole not taking pictures of kids thing. As a person who works in the public schools you have cases where a custodial parent is fearful that a non-custodial parent (who attempted to run away with the child in the past) will see his/her kid on a social networking site or website and figure out how to find the child and abduct the child. So we have to always get parental permission to use any photo of a child for anything to do with the school's website or social media or when the news media wants to do a story about the school. 

But I would think a costume or scenery pic posted on some social networking site would not really harm anyone. It might get people asking, "Where did you take that pic?" and give some word-of-mouth publicity.

#350 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

14588540548_79f226eac6_c.jpg

After the performance of Krysanova and Chudin's D.Q....
:yahoo:

I loved this picture too...

#351 Caesariatus

Caesariatus

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

Does anybody know who danced the Queen of the Dryads in today's performance (Thu. 31 July) at Saratoga?  The program lists Olga Smirnova, but just before the curtain rose there was a PA announcement of a change in that role.  However, I didn't catch the name.

#352 lmspear

lmspear

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:04 AM

The ushers at Bayeriche Staatsoper in Munich are also very strict about taking pictures. They don't allow people to take pictures of the interior of the opera house during intermissions and are quite rude.

And no theatre in Japan allows taking pictures at curtain calls, they are really strict about that so no one dares to take any. 

Since it's no longer necessary to hold a camera directly in front of your face to use the view finder, I've been at performances where my view of the curtain calls has been obstructed by raised arms trying to frame the perfect shot. I miss bouquet presentations and bows and all those lovely moments that can occur between the dancers. :-( Don't I have the right to see the curtain calls? They are included in the price of my ticket, no? What I get to see is a lot of smart phone/digital camera screens that look like a bunch of miniaturized jumbotrons, randomly placed throughout the audience.

#353 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:17 AM

Since it's no longer necessary to hold a camera directly in front of your face to use the view finder, I've been at performances where my view of the curtain calls has been obstructed by raised arms trying to frame the perfect shot. I miss bouquet presentations and bows and all those lovely moments that can occur between the dancers. :-( Don't I have the right to see the curtain calls? They are included in the price of my ticket, no? What I get to see is a lot of smart phone/digital camera screens that look like a bunch of miniaturized jumbotrons, randomly placed throughout the audience.

good point

#354 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:25 AM

Does anybody know who danced the Queen of the Dryads in today's performance (Thu. 31 July) at Saratoga?  The program lists Olga Smirnova, but just before the curtain rose there was a PA announcement of a change in that role.  However, I didn't catch the name.

Could it have been Yulia Grebenshchikova? She's a tall brunette. (I'm only guessing here.)

#355 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:54 AM

The other Queen of the Dryads at the Koch Theater performances was Anna Nikulina...I don't know if she was in Saratoga. Also a brunette--I think a little more on the petite side...

#356 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

What I get to see is a lot of smart phone/digital camera screens that look like a bunch of miniaturized jumbotrons, randomly placed throughout the audience.

"Miniaturized jumbotrons" -- excellent!

#357 Caesariatus

Caesariatus

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

Could it have been Yulia Grebenshchikova? She's a tall brunette. (I'm only guessing here.)

The other Queen of the Dryads at the Koch Theater performances was Anna Nikulina...I don't know if she was in Saratoga. Also a brunette--I think a little more on the petite side...

It was a short blonde.  The hair might not have been really hers, but she was certainly quite short.

#358 Katenka

Katenka

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

Hi Caesariatus,

The Queen of the Dryads was danced by Ana Turazashvili (she also danced the second variation in the Grand Pas).

#359 Caesariatus

Caesariatus

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

What a lively ballet!  I saw the Bolshoi dance Don Quixote at Saratoga on Thursday (31 July) and it was a lot of fun.  The first act especially was full of energy; I don't think I've ever seen a more exuberant act in any ballet.

The leads were Kristina Kretova as Kitri and Mikhail Lobukhin as Basilio.  I can also supply the names of the other dancers, if anyone's interested, except for the Queen of the Dryads.  That role had a last minute replacement announced over the PA just before the curtain rose, and I didn't catch the name.  I think Kretova and Lobukhin were well cast for the roles, in that they both had the energy and playfulness necessary to sell the characters of flirtatious lovers.  Where they were weak was in the more technical moves in the third act -- Lobukhin's jumps weren't very impressive and Kretova was a bit unsteady in her balance -- but that wasn't as important as it would have been in some other ballets.

Although Don Q's mostly about festive Spain, as envisioned by Russians, there's a scene in the second act where Quixote has a dream which is used as an excuse to insert an entirely different style of ballet into the middle of it.  That worked, though; it was more refined and elegant form of joy, but surprisingly appropriate.

Although no single dancer stood out for me, the whole company did a good job.  The Bolshoi obviously has a lot of depth.  Chinara Alizade and Daria Khokhlova, as Juanita and Piccilia (or vice-versa) were especially delightful.  (These were the "friends of the lead character" roles you often see in ballets who do occasional interludes and accompany the leads.)  I also really enjoyed the fan and tambourine dance the corps did in the first act.

There were several comic roles in the ballet.  Denis Medvedev stood out as Gamache, the foppish nobleman.

Although I gave myself extra time to get there, I ended up arriving after the scheduled start, although thankfully before the actual start.  This was because heavy traffic meant that it took a half hour to drive the final mile and a half to the theater.  So be forewarned if you ever go to Saratoga.

There was a full house, very appreciative.  They even gave the orchestra a standing ovation just before the start of Act 3.

Having seen the Bolshoi on DVD and in the movies I've come to expect excellent costumes and sets.  The costumes were up to expectations.  I especially loved the dryads'.  The sets, however, were a disappointment.  I know that a touring show can't be expected to have as good sets as a house production, but these were just lame, especially in Act 3.

On the whole, though, this was a very enjoyable experience.  Not a lot of passion, or transcendence, but a lot of fun.

#360 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

It was a short blonde.  The hair might not have been really hers, but she was certainly quite short.

Well, that is a little puzzling, because apart from Kretova and Nikulina, who aren't blondes, I wouldn't describe the Bolshoi's dryad queens as short. Perhaps it was a debutante. I would suggest asking the Bolshoi directly. It has a bilingual Twitter account, @BolshoiOfficial, which would be a quick way to reach an English-speaker in the PR department.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):