Summer 2014 NYC & Saratoga Tour

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#16 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

I wonder what the Bolshoi is hoping to achieve by keeping the casts secret. One obvious benefit is not having to deal with disillusioned, angry audiences in case of cast changes due to injuries or other reasons. Second, they must be trying to sell tickets for less than stellar casts. But what else? I must admit that, being spoiled by the ABT casts announcements several months in advance, I was really reluctant to buy blindly for the Bolshoi and purchased just one performance of each ballet. Had I known who would be dancing when I might've bought much more.

#17 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:41 AM

I was really reluctant to buy blindly for the Bolshoi and purchased just one performance of each ballet. Had I known who would be dancing when I might've bought much more.

I still haven't bought any tickets, Waelsung, for the exact same reason. Although I'm sure that I would be happy with any casting and probably very pleasantly surprised by something unexpected, as I've alway been, it's a travel and financial commitment that I'm treating more carefully.

#18 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:34 AM

I am entirely sympathetic to the holdouts. I've seen the Bolshoi's Swan Lake before, and to say that it isn't my favorite production would be an understatement. Of course the corps goes a long way toward rescuing it, but who dances the leads matters very much. For my part, I've seen quite a few of the Bolshoi's current casts, and there are dancers I would like to see again and others whom I'd be inclined to avoid.

Casting for the Bolshoi's Giselle in Washington was announced before individual tickets went on sale, and for now, at least, it is holding. http://www.bolshoi.r...cles/2014/2940/ Casting for the Bolshoi's performances in Tokyo in November [!] has been available for some time. So I suspect the problem here may be with the Lincoln Center Festival.

To some extent the Bolshoi's tickets sales in New York have stagnated. Apart from the final performance of Spartacus, the fourth ring has not been opened up for any of the matinees, and at most other performances of Swan Lake, only part of the fourth ring seats have been released. It appears that the festival fails to appreciate that a fair number of ticket buyers want casting information before they're willing to pull out their credit cards. But then I have doubts about the festival's organizational competence. I wouldn't be surprised if it were to announce casting and then wait sometime yet before releasing the remaining fourth ring tickets, leading to false alarms about sold out performances. It's almost as though ticket sales weren't a priority for the festival.

#19 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

. . . But then I have doubts about the festival's organizational competence. . . .

We learned all about their competence a few months ago, with the chaos surrounding those three-ballet packages -- some people (at ticket counters) were told they could buy additional tickets right then, with the package discount, while others (usually over the phone) were told they had to wait for single ticket sales. 

What drove me crazy about the casting announcements for Bolshoi in February 2010 when they were at Segerstrom: when they had injuries (which ballet lovers get used to), they didn't just name a replacement, but did a fruit-basket-upset to move uninjured principals to different performances. I can't imagine ABT doing that, except very far in advance of a season. 

The Festival Director, Nigel Redden, was director of the NEA dance program for five years in the 1980s, so I would have thought he would understand the importance of casting announcements in ballet (even if he perhaps doesn't approve of the obsession...). I would have guessed, e.g., that a lot of people would like to know when Hallberg is dancing, so they can compare his performances with Bolshoi and ABT. 

#20 Sonia6349

Sonia6349

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

Newbie here. You're kidding, right?

#21 yudi

yudi

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

. . . But then I have doubts about the festival's organizational competence. . . .

The Festival Director, Nigel Redden, was director of the NEA dance program for five years in the 1980s, so I would have thought he would understand the importance of casting announcements in ballet (even if he perhaps doesn't approve of the obsession...). I would have guessed, e.g., that a lot of people would like to know when Hallberg is dancing, so they can compare his performances with Bolshoi and ABT. 

I thought the Bolshoi did decent job for their London tour of last year. Not only they published the casting before selling tickets to public, but also they made excellent replacements in Swan Lake, the Flames of Paris and Jewels, after their big stars Maria Alexandrova and Alexander Volchkov got injured. However, this year for their HD broadcasting of Lost Illusions, Bolshoi did screw up again.  

The organizers and promoters for Bolshoi's London tour seem to be much more experienced than the NY festival organizers. I have read some reports about how demanding Mr. & Mrs Victor and Lilian Hochhauser were on programs and castings. Thank you so much, Mr. & Mrs Hochhauser, for your wonderful job! Otherwise, I would not have the chance to see the BEST ballet performances in Bolshoi's The Flames of Paris. 

I have a doubt that Bolshoi may want to bring in some outside dancers to join their tour, but the deals have not been made. The management of Bolshoi have to deal with too many great dancers and too much inside politics. I just hope they would not mess things up.

I have bought tickets for SW, DQ and Spartacus for myself, and for my friends, lots of tickets, anyway! 

flowers.gif

#22 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:09 AM

Casting for the NY tour has been announced:

The Bolshoi Ballet and Orchestra

Sergei Filin, Artistic Director, The Bolshoi Ballet

David H. Koch Theater (Broadway at 63rd Street)

Swan Lake

July 15, 16, 17, 18 at 8 pm; July 19 at 2 and 8 pm; July 20 at 2 pm

Ballet in two acts

Music by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Libretto by Yuri Grigorovich after the scenario by Vladimir Begichev and Vasily Geltser

Choreography by Yuri Grigorovich

Scenes in choreography by Marius Petipa, Lev Ivanov, and Alexander Gorsky

Designer: Simon Virsaladze

Music Director and Conductor: Pavel Sorokin

Lighting Designer: Mikhail Sokolov

Odette-Odile                                            Svetlana Zakharova July 15, July 17

Anna Nikulina July 16, July 19 (matinee)

Ekaterina Shipulina July 19 (evening)

Olga Smirnova July 18, July 20

The Princess Mother                                Ekaterina Barykina July 15, July 17, July 19 (matinee), July 20

Kristina Karasyova July 16, July 18, July 19 (evening)

Prince Siegfried                                      David Hallberg July 15, July 17, July 19 (evening)

Artem Ovcharenko July 16, July 19 (matinee)

Semyon Chudin July 18, July 20

The Evil Genius                                       Vladislav Lantratov July 15, July 17, July 19 (evening)

Denis Rodkin July 16

Artemy Belyakov July 18, 19 (matinee), and 20

The Tutor                                                  Alexey Loparevich

The Fool                                                  Igor Tsvirko July 15, July 17, July 19 (evening)

Denis Medvedev July 16, July 19 (matinee)

Alexander Smoliyaninov July 18, July 20

Friends to the Prince                               Kristina Kretova

Maria Vinogradova July 15, July 17, July 19 (matinee), July 20

Chinara Alizade July 16, July 18, July 19 (evening)

Master of Ceremonies                             Alexander Fadeyechev

Hungarian Bride                                      Yulia Grebenshchikova July 15, July 19 (matinee)

Angelina Karpova July16, July 19 (evening)

Olga Marchenkova July 17

Ana Turazashvili July 18, July 20

Russian Bride                                          Anna Rebetskaya July 15, July 17, July 19 (matinee)

Maria Vinogradova July 16, July 19 (evening)

Yulia Lunkina July 18, July 20

Spanish Bride                                         Anna Tikhomirova July 15, July 18, July 20

Anastasia Meskova July 16, July 19 (evening)

Chinara Alizade July 17, July 19 (matinee)

Neapolitan Bride                                     Daria Khokhlova July 15, July 20

Kristina Kretova July 16, July 19 (evening)

Anna Tikhomirova July 17, July 19 (matinee)

Maria Vinogradova July 18

Polish Bride                                             Anna Leonova July 15, July 17, and July 19 (evening)

Anna Okuneva July 16, July 19 (matinee)

Yanina Parienko July 18, July 20

Three Swans                                         Angelina Karpova July 15, 17, 18, 19 (matinee), and 20

Olga Marchenkova July 15, 16, 18, 19 (matinee), 19 (evening), and 20

Ana Turazashvili July 15, 16, 17, 19 (matinee), and 19 (evening)

Yulia Grebenshchikova July 16, 17, 18, 19 (evening), and 20

Four Swans                                         Yulia Lunkina July 15, 16, 17, 19 (matinee), and 19 (evening)

Diana Kosyreva July 18, 20

Svetlana Pavlova

Margarita Shrainer

Anna Voronkova

Waltz                                                    Yanina Parienko July 15, 16, 17, 19 (matinee), and 19 (evening)

Anastasia Meskova July 15, 17, 18, 19 (matinee)

Ana Turazashvili July 15, 16, 17, 19 (matinee), 19 (evening), and 20

Anna Okuneva July 15, 17, 18, 19 evening), and 20

Anna Leonova July 16, 18, 19 (matinee), and 20

Anna Rebetskaya July 16, 18, 19 (evening), and 20

Artemy Belyakov July 15, 16, and 17

Klim Yefimov July 17, 18, 19 (matinee), 19 (evening), and 20

Dmitry Yefremov July 15, 16, 18, 19 (matinee), 19 (evening), and 20

Mikhail Kryuchkov July 16, 18, 19 (matinee), and 19 (evening)

Denis Rodkin July 15, 17, and 20

Yegor Khromushin

Don Quixote

July 22 at 8 pm; July 23 at 2 and 8 pm

Ballet in three acts

Music by Ludwig Minkus

Libretto by Marius Petipa after the novel of the same name by Miguel de Cervantes

Choreography: Marius Petipa, Alexander Gorsky

New choreographic version: Alexei Fadeyechev

Set designer: Sergei Barkhin

Costumes, based on sketches by Vasily Diyachkov (1903) revised by Tatiana Artamonova, Elena Merkurova

Music Director of the production: Alexander Kopylov

Conductor: Pavel Sorokin

Kitri (alias Dulcinea)                                              Maria Alexandrova July 22

Ekaterina Krysanova July 23 (matinee)

Ekaterina Shipulina July 23 (evening)

Basilio, a barber                                                   Vladislav Lantratov July 22

Semyon Chudin July 23 (matinee)

Mikhail Lobukhin July 23 (evening)

Don Quixote, an errant knight                               Alexey Loparevich

Sancho Panza, his squire                                      Alexander Petukhov July 22 

Roman Simachev July 23 (matinee)

Sergey Minakov July 23 (evening)

Gamache, a wealthy nobleman                             Denis Savin July 22, July 23 (evening)

Denis Medvedev July 23 (matinee)

Juanita, Piccilia, friends to Kitri                            Anna Rebetskaya

Yanina Parienko July 22 

Maria Vinogradova

Anna Okuneva July 23 (matinee)

Chinara Alizade

Anna Tikhomirova July 23 (evening)

Espada, a toreador                                                Denis Rodkin July 22, July 23 (evening)

Vitaly Biktimirov July 23 (matinee)

A Street Dancer                                                     Anna Tikhomirova July 22

Anna Leonova July 23 (matinee)

Anastasia Meskova July 23 (evening)

Mercedes                                                               Oxana Sharova July 22, July 23 (matinee)

Kristina Karasyova July 23 (evening)

Lorenzo, innkeeper, Kitri’s father                          Yegor Simachev

Lorenzo's Wife                                                      Anastasia Vinokur

Duke                                                                      Alexander Fadeyechev

Duchess                                                                 Ekaterina Barykina July 22, July 23 (evening)

Maria Zharkova July 23 (matinee)

Tavern Keeper                                                       Roman Simachev July 22, July 23 (evening)               

Alexander Petukhov July 23 (matinee)

The Queen of the Dryads                                      Olga Smirnova July 22, July 23 (evening) 

Anna Nikulina July 23 (matinee)                     

Three Dryads                                                         Angelina Karpova

Olga Marchenkova

Yulia Grebenshikova July 22, July 23 (matinee), July 23 (evening)

Four Dryads                                                           Daria Gurevich July 22

Yulia Lunkina July 23 (matinee), July 23 (evening)

Anna Voronkova

Svetlana Pavlova

Alesya Gradova

Cupid                                                                    Yulia Lunkina July 22

Evgenia Savarskaya July 23 (matinee)

Daria Khokhlova July 23 (evening)

Spanish Dance                                                      Maria Zharkova July 22, July 23 (evening)

Nino Asatiani July 23 (matinee)

Two Guitars                                                           Nino Asatiani July 22, July 23 (evening)                                                          

Lyudmila Yermakova July 23 (matinee)

Vera Borisenkova July 22, July 23 (matinee), July 23 (evening)

Gypsy Dance                                                          Kristina Karasyova July 22, July 30

Anna Antropova July 23 (matinee), July 23 (evening)

Bolero                                                                   Anna Antropova July 22

Kristina Karasyova July 23 (matinee)

Oxana Sharova July 23 (evening)

Vitaly Biktimirov July 22,

Yevgeny Golovin July 23 (matinee)

Anton Savichev July 23 (evening)

First Variation in Grand Pas                                   Maria Vinogradova July 22, 23 (evening)

Daria Khokhlova July 23 (matinee)

Second Variation in Grand Pas                              Ana Turazashvili July 22, July 23 (evening)

Cinara Alizade July 23 (matinee)    

Spartacus

July 25 and 26 at 8 pm; July 27 at 2 pm

Ballet in three acts

Music by Aram Khachaturyan

Libretto by Yuri Grigorovich after the novel of the same name by Raffaello Giovagnolli with ideas from the scenario by Nikolai Volkov

Choreographer: Yuri Grigorovich

Designer: Simon Virsaladze

Music Director of the production: Gennadi Rozhdestvensky

Conductor: Pavel Klinichev

Spartacus,                                                              Mikhail Lobukhin July 25, July 27

Leader of the Gladiators                                        Denis Rodkin July 26

Crassus,                                                                  Alexander Volchkov July 25, July 27

Leader of the Roman Army                                    Vladislav Lantratov July 26

Aegina, courtesan                                                  Svetlana Zakharova July 25, July 27

Ekaterina Krysanova July 26

Phyrgia,                                                                 Anna Nikulina July 25, July 27

Sweetheart to Spartacus                                        Maria Vinogradova July 26

Gladiator                                                                Denis Savin July 25, July 27

Anton Savichev July 26

Mimes                                                                    Chinara Alizade

Batyr Annadurdyev July 26

Anton Kondratov July 26

Victoria Litvinova July 26

Alexei Matrakhov July 25, July 27

Anna Okuneva

Yanina Parienko

Anna Rebetskaya July 25, July 27

Yegor Sharkov

Roman Simachev July 25, July 27

Anna Tikhomirova

Maria Zharkova

Vasily Zhidkov July 25, July 27

Dmitri Zhuk July 26

Three Shepherds                                                    Andrei Bolotin

Alexei Matrakhov July 26

Denis Medvedev July 25, July 27

Alexander Smoliyaninov July 25, July 27

Igor Tsvirko July 26

Four Shepherds                                                      Vitaly Biktimirov

Yevgeny Golovin July 26

Yegor Khromushin

Anton Savichev July 25, July 27

Alexander Vodopetov

Shepherdesses                                                       Svetlana Gnedova

Alesya Gradova

Daria Gurevich July 26

Daria Khokhlova

Yulia Lunkina

Svetlana Pavlova July 25, July 27

Courtesans                                                             Anna Antropova

Anna Balukova July 25, July 27

Yulia Grebenshchikova

Kristina Karasyova

Anna Leonova

Anastasia Meskova

Anna Nakhapetova

Anna Rebetskaya July 26

#23 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

Well this leaves me in a bind. I really want to see Olga Smirnova/Semyon Chudin in Swan Lake, but on the other hand I consider Grigorovich's Swan Lake the ugliest, most offensive production, with the Tchaikovsky score re-arranged/massacred beyond recognition, and not only is there no lake, there is not even a swan, as the whole thing is some weird spell arranged by the creepy Evil Genius. 

#24 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:05 PM

Well this leaves me in a bind. I really want to see Olga Smirnova/Semyon Chudin in Swan Lake, but on the other hand I consider Grigorovich's Swan Lake the ugliest, most offensive production, with the Tchaikovsky score re-arranged/massacred beyond recognition, and not only is there no lake, there is not even a swan, as the whole thing is some weird spell arranged by the creepy Evil Genius. 

I found them less than persuasive, for what it's worth.

#25 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:50 PM

I'm pretty happy about everything I got from my blind buys, except for Swan Lake. The prospect of seeing Zakharova and Hallberg again (although for the first time together) somehow does not sound particularly exciting. On the other hand, I got Shipulina as Kitri, and I think she's the most underrated of today's Bolshoi ballerinas. The most important for me though is the chance to see Lobukhin's Spartacus, so I keep my fingers crossed and hope the above casts hold.

#26 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:44 AM

Thanks so much, FauxPas, for posting this. I’ve been following several sites daily for months waiting for the castings. I called up the ticket office immediately and got the ones that I really wanted, which are Olga Smirnova’s and Svetlana Zakharova’s Swan Lakes (twice for each! and one for Anna Nikulina. There are others that I would really like to see, but its a special trip and I'm limited in what I can do).

Olga Smirnova is already great, in my mind, and she’s just beginning. I’ve only seen her once on stage so I’m really looking forward to NYC. Also as I’ve mentioned, Svetlana Zakharova’s Giselle at last year’s Mariinsky Festival was possibly the finest performance of *Anything* that I’ve ever seen !

I haven’t looked at them recently, but Clement Crisp wrote a series of rave reviews about the Bolshoi’s London performances last summer, which you might enjoy. I was not there, but based on my past Bolshoi experiences and internet videos, I tended to agree with him completely. I recall him highly praising Olga Smirnova, Semyon Chudin, Svetlana Zakharova and Kristina Krysanova.

Olga Smirnova and Semyon Chudin  — Diamonds

Svetlana Zakharova — Swan Lake

Kristina Krysanova —  Sleeping Beauty

Added:

Ekaterina Shipulina, who’s been around for awhile, quite honestly surprised me with the youthful solidity and lovely excellence of her Kitri (from Don Quixote, which she'll dance in NYC) several years ago. I don’t think that I’d seen her perform as well before (stage or video). I may still try to see her in Swan Lake. In addition, several years ago Maria Alexandrova (who'll dance as Kitri and whom I've also often seen) danced Raymonda as a guest with the Paris Opera Ballet and gave one of the most 'magically' enchanting dance performances that I've ever seen.

[a few words changed in last sentence]

[and correction made in last paragraph, Ekaterina Shipulina danced Kitri, not Nikiya]

#27 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:30 AM

Thank you for the cast posting! I've just purchased a ticket for the Don Quixote on July 23 evening, partially so that I can see Smirnova as Queen of the Dryads. I can't make it down to New York for Swan Lake, and plus I really don't like the Grigorovich production, so this is my chance to see her. I'm happy to see Shipulina as Kitri, too - she's one of my favorite dancers at the Bolshoi. 

I was a little sad to see I'm getting the B cast for Spartacus, but maybe Rodkin will turn out to be great. 

I can't wait for July!

#28 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,248 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

Casting for the "Don Q" in Saratoga, an embarrassment of riches, is up:
http://www.oneidadis...aratoga-springs

July 29 and August 1: Alexandrova/Lantratov
July 30: Krysanova/Chudin
July 31: Kretova/Lobukhin

I love Alexandrova, but any recommendation from those having seen the company lately, especially these dancers and/or Don Q?  I remember Krysanova's Gamzatti vividly, but I can't translate that mentally to Don Q, and I haven't seen Kretova.

#29 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

There is a lot of screwy casting on this tour, not least of which is the fact that Maria Alexandrova is crossing the Atlantic to dance a single Kitri in New York, and thankfully a couple more in Saratoga Springs, but no Swan Queens and no Aeginas.

I won't post any links, but there is a lot of amateur footage of Ekaterina Krysanova's Kitri out there, even a couple of complete performances. She's a technical whiz--very light, very fast, with exceptionally speedy hops on pointe, big jumps and fearless fouettés, so even though the roles I've seen her do are very different (Giselle, Aurora, Odette-Odile, Gamzatti, Jeanne), I have every reason to believe she would be terrific as Kitri, even if she is saddled with Semyon Chudin, who has very pretty legs, but who couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.

Of all of Sergei Filin's recruits, I like Kristina Kretova best. She is a superb technician, with excellent balance, rapier-like legs and a big, winning smile. From what I've seen, she is also a fine actress and has an admirably direct and unmannered style. I don't think she gobbles up quite as much space as her colleagues, which was less on an issue on the stage of the Royal Opera House, but I also have every reason to think she would make an excellent Kitri.

#30 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:41 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Kitris. I have seen Alexandrova before in Don Q, and also Kretova and Krysanova as O/O on the London tour.  I liked both ballerinas and preferred them as Odile.  While Odile and Kitri are not the same roles, I could easily see either Kretova or Krysanova having the temperament for Kitri. Both certainly have the technical chomps for it.

Among the Basilios Lantratov should be excellent.  Chudin seems woefully miscast: he has technique for days but as volcanohunter said has no real acting ability.  Even in Sleeping Beauty this was a problem, and while the London audience enjoyed Chudin I felt Krysanova carried the performance.  Lobukhin I'm not familiar with.  Would others see him as a good Basilio?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):