• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#1 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

I think it's time to start a separate thread for the NYC tour. I can't find it on the LCF site, but the LCF brochure lists the following principals that will participate the NYC tour:

Maria Alexandrova
Ekaterina Krysanova
Anna Nikulina
Ekaterina Shipulina
Olga Smirnova
Maria Vinogradova
Svetlana Zakharova
Artemy Beliakov
Yury Baranov
David Hallberg
Vladislav Lantratov
Mikhail Lobukhin
Artem Ovcharenko
Ruslan Skvortsov
Denis Rodkin
Alexander Volchkov

Again, no Lunkina.

#2 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

And, also as in original announcement, no Obraztsova -- it may not be altogether her repertory, but she does dance Don Q. and is one of their very top ballerinas. Recently mentioned in NYTimes as too little seen in New York.

I am very much looking forward to seeing several of the others...

#3 yudi

yudi

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

Well, Bolshoi still cannot decide the casting in each show? Do I have to buy all three D.Q. and Spartacus performances, in case I will miss my desired dancers? They should simply send all of their best dancers over to N.Y., not thinking about that we, the people living in America, are just a bunch of illiterate and ignorant fast-food eaters.

innocent.gif

#4 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

Well, Bolshoi still cannot decide the casting in each show? Do I have to buy all three D.Q. and Spartacus performances, in case I will miss my desired dancers? They should simply send all of their best dancers over to N.Y., not thinking about that we, the people living in America, are just a bunch of illiterate and ignorant fast-food eaters.

innocent.gif

Bolshoi advance cast announcements are so unreliable that, even if we had the information at this early date, I wouldn't feel terribly confident about what dancers I was really going to see...I am buying tickets for a slew of performances and just hoping.

For what it's worth: when I saw them just a few years ago the standard of their soloists/demi-soloists was so high that I would say, if they have maintained that standard through recent crises, then we should be in for some treats whatever the lead casting is like. (Others have seen them much more recently of course and can weigh in...)  Still, we all want to see the best leads!

#5 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

As the situation in Ukraine worsens with the involvement of Russia, the standoff between Russia and the West becomes more likely. I hope the Bolshoi tour doesn't become a collateral damage or a target of boycott. Let's hope for a speedy & peaceful resolution.

#6 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

As the situation in Ukraine worsens with the involvement of Russia, the standoff between Russia and the West becomes more likely. I hope the Bolshoi tour doesn't become a collateral damage or a target of boycott. Let's hope for a speedy & peaceful resolution.

Indeed! As I was reading about possible sanctions that western nations might take against Russia, cancellation of visas for Russians visiting the U.S. was on the list and my heart sank. Lincoln Center would refund my tickets, but I doubt the airline would refund the ticket to get to NYC. 

More importantly, though, I can think of several dancers trained in Kiev now working in the U.S. It must be horribly difficult for them to watch the news about Ukraine. I also just got e-mail from a friend in one of the former Warsaw Pact nations and they are very, very worried about this, too. They remember the last time Russians invaded their country.

#7 YID

YID

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

i think noone said CANCELLation of visas, stopping of issuing new one - let's hope it all gets resolved and we'll see Bolshoi in DC and NYC

#8 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

I wonder if David Hallberg is feeling awkward as an American in Russia at the moment, given the escalating crisis.

#9 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

I just checked LCF website if castings were announced (not yet) but found out the Tsar's Bride and Swan Lake are sold out already, while only 4th ring seats are available for Don Q and Spartacus, except Don Q Wed. matinee still has limited seats available in all sections.

#10 art076

art076

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

It seems they are holding back online sales for Tsar and Swan Lake - if you call or visit the box office in person, there is more availability (I was able to get several tickets that way yesterday, and she said there were still seats next to me available).

#11 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

I wonder if we will know the casts for the Bolshoi New York tour before the performances actually start

#12 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:07 PM

I wonder if we will know the casts for the Bolshoi New York tour before the performances actually start

wink1.gif Well, with the Bolshoi even if they announce, I'm not sure I would believe anything until the performances actually start. But yes, it would be nice to know something.

#13 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

The casts will be announced on the day of, 1 hour prior to the commencement of the performances .

#14 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:44 AM

I recently read in the NY Times that a small experimental theater group from Moscow had cancelled its planned appearance in Virginia because the City of Moscow withdrew its funding for the US appearance due to the tensions between the US and Russia. 

#15 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

Some dancers already leak dates of their NYC performances. So I doubt Bolshoi will be canceled due to US-Russia tension. I hope not.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Josette, speed100

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):