This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Summer 2014 NYC & Saratoga Tour

mussel

I think it's time to start a separate thread for the NYC tour. I can't find it on the LCF site, but the LCF brochure lists the following principals that will participate the NYC tour:

Maria Alexandrova

Ekaterina Krysanova

Anna Nikulina

Ekaterina Shipulina

Olga Smirnova

Maria Vinogradova

Svetlana Zakharova

Artemy Beliakov

Yury Baranov

David Hallberg

Vladislav Lantratov

Mikhail Lobukhin

Artem Ovcharenko

Ruslan Skvortsov

Denis Rodkin

Alexander Volchkov

Again, no Lunkina.

And, also as in original announcement, no Obraztsova -- it may not be altogether her repertory, but she does dance Don Q. and is one of their very top ballerinas. Recently mentioned in NYTimes as too little seen in New York.

I am very much looking forward to seeing several of the others...

Well, Bolshoi still cannot decide the casting in each show? Do I have to buy all three D.Q. and Spartacus performances, in case I will miss my desired dancers? They should simply send all of their best dancers over to N.Y., not thinking about that we, the people living in America, are just a bunch of illiterate and ignorant fast-food eaters.

innocent.gif

Well, Bolshoi still cannot decide the casting in each show? Do I have to buy all three D.Q. and Spartacus performances, in case I will miss my desired dancers? They should simply send all of their best dancers over to N.Y., not thinking about that we, the people living in America, are just a bunch of illiterate and ignorant fast-food eaters.

innocent.gif

Bolshoi advance cast announcements are so unreliable that, even if we had the information at this early date, I wouldn't feel terribly confident about what dancers I was really going to see...I am buying tickets for a slew of performances and just hoping.

For what it's worth: when I saw them just a few years ago the standard of their soloists/demi-soloists was so high that I would say, if they have maintained that standard through recent crises, then we should be in for some treats whatever the lead casting is like. (Others have seen them much more recently of course and can weigh in...) Still, we all want to see the best leads!

As the situation in Ukraine worsens with the involvement of Russia, the standoff between Russia and the West becomes more likely. I hope the Bolshoi tour doesn't become a collateral damage or a target of boycott. Let's hope for a speedy & peaceful resolution.

As the situation in Ukraine worsens with the involvement of Russia, the standoff between Russia and the West becomes more likely. I hope the Bolshoi tour doesn't become a collateral damage or a target of boycott. Let's hope for a speedy & peaceful resolution.

Indeed! As I was reading about possible sanctions that western nations might take against Russia, cancellation of visas for Russians visiting the U.S. was on the list and my heart sank. Lincoln Center would refund my tickets, but I doubt the airline would refund the ticket to get to NYC.

More importantly, though, I can think of several dancers trained in Kiev now working in the U.S. It must be horribly difficult for them to watch the news about Ukraine. I also just got e-mail from a friend in one of the former Warsaw Pact nations and they are very, very worried about this, too. They remember the last time Russians invaded their country.

I just checked LCF website if castings were announced (not yet) but found out the Tsar's Bride and Swan Lake are sold out already, while only 4th ring seats are available for Don Q and Spartacus, except Don Q Wed. matinee still has limited seats available in all sections.

It seems they are holding back online sales for Tsar and Swan Lake - if you call or visit the box office in person, there is more availability (I was able to get several tickets that way yesterday, and she said there were still seats next to me available).

I wonder if we will know the casts for the Bolshoi New York tour before the performances actually start

wink1.gif Well, with the Bolshoi even if they announce, I'm not sure I would believe anything until the performances actually start. But yes, it would be nice to know something.

I recently read in the NY Times that a small experimental theater group from Moscow had cancelled its planned appearance in Virginia because the City of Moscow withdrew its funding for the US appearance due to the tensions between the US and Russia.

I wonder what the Bolshoi is hoping to achieve by keeping the casts secret. One obvious benefit is not having to deal with disillusioned, angry audiences in case of cast changes due to injuries or other reasons. Second, they must be trying to sell tickets for less than stellar casts. But what else? I must admit that, being spoiled by the ABT casts announcements several months in advance, I was really reluctant to buy blindly for the Bolshoi and purchased just one performance of each ballet. Had I known who would be dancing when I might've bought much more.

I was really reluctant to buy blindly for the Bolshoi and purchased just one performance of each ballet. Had I known who would be dancing when I might've bought much more.

I still haven't bought any tickets, Waelsung, for the exact same reason. Although I'm sure that I would be happy with any casting and probably very pleasantly surprised by something unexpected, as I've alway been, it's a travel and financial commitment that I'm treating more carefully.

I am entirely sympathetic to the holdouts. I've seen the Bolshoi's Swan Lake before, and to say that it isn't my favorite production would be an understatement. Of course the corps goes a long way toward rescuing it, but who dances the leads matters very much. For my part, I've seen quite a few of the Bolshoi's current casts, and there are dancers I would like to see again and others whom I'd be inclined to avoid.

Casting for the Bolshoi's Giselle in Washington was announced before individual tickets went on sale, and for now, at least, it is holding. http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/about/press/articles/2014/2940/ Casting for the Bolshoi's performances in Tokyo in November [!] has been available for some time. So I suspect the problem here may be with the Lincoln Center Festival.

To some extent the Bolshoi's tickets sales in New York have stagnated. Apart from the final performance of Spartacus, the fourth ring has not been opened up for any of the matinees, and at most other performances of Swan Lake, only part of the fourth ring seats have been released. It appears that the festival fails to appreciate that a fair number of ticket buyers want casting information before they're willing to pull out their credit cards. But then I have doubts about the festival's organizational competence. I wouldn't be surprised if it were to announce casting and then wait sometime yet before releasing the remaining fourth ring tickets, leading to false alarms about sold out performances. It's almost as though ticket sales weren't a priority for the festival.

. . . But then I have doubts about the festival's organizational competence. . . .

We learned all about their competence a few months ago, with the chaos surrounding those three-ballet packages -- some people (at ticket counters) were told they could buy additional tickets right then, with the package discount, while others (usually over the phone) were told they had to wait for single ticket sales.

What drove me crazy about the casting announcements for Bolshoi in February 2010 when they were at Segerstrom: when they had injuries (which ballet lovers get used to), they didn't just name a replacement, but did a fruit-basket-upset to move uninjured principals to different performances. I can't imagine ABT doing that, except very far in advance of a season.

The Festival Director, Nigel Redden, was director of the NEA dance program for five years in the 1980s, so I would have thought he would understand the importance of casting announcements in ballet (even if he perhaps doesn't approve of the obsession...). I would have guessed, e.g., that a lot of people would like to know when Hallberg is dancing, so they can compare his performances with Bolshoi and ABT.

. . . But then I have doubts about the festival's organizational competence. . . .

The Festival Director, Nigel Redden, was director of the NEA dance program for five years in the 1980s, so I would have thought he would understand the importance of casting announcements in ballet (even if he perhaps doesn't approve of the obsession...). I would have guessed, e.g., that a lot of people would like to know when Hallberg is dancing, so they can compare his performances with Bolshoi and ABT.

I thought the Bolshoi did decent job for their London tour of last year. Not only they published the casting before selling tickets to public, but also they made excellent replacements in Swan Lake, the Flames of Paris and Jewels, after their big stars Maria Alexandrova and Alexander Volchkov got injured. However, this year for their HD broadcasting of Lost Illusions, Bolshoi did screw up again.
The organizers and promoters for Bolshoi's London tour seem to be much more experienced than the NY festival organizers. I have read some reports about how demanding Mr. & Mrs Victor and Lilian Hochhauser were on programs and castings. Thank you so much, Mr. & Mrs Hochhauser, for your wonderful job! Otherwise, I would not have the chance to see the BEST ballet performances in Bolshoi's The Flames of Paris.
I have a doubt that Bolshoi may want to bring in some outside dancers to join their tour, but the deals have not been made. The management of Bolshoi have to deal with too many great dancers and too much inside politics. I just hope they would not mess things up.
I have bought tickets for SW, DQ and Spartacus for myself, and for my friends, lots of tickets, anyway!
flowers.gif

Casting for the NY tour has been announced:

The Bolshoi Ballet and Orchestra

Sergei Filin, Artistic Director, The Bolshoi Ballet

David H. Koch Theater (Broadway at 63rd Street)

Swan Lake

July 15, 16, 17, 18 at 8 pm; July 19 at 2 and 8 pm; July 20 at 2 pm

Ballet in two acts

Music by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Libretto by Yuri Grigorovich after the scenario by Vladimir Begichev and Vasily Geltser

Choreography by Yuri Grigorovich

Scenes in choreography by Marius Petipa, Lev Ivanov, and Alexander Gorsky

Designer: Simon Virsaladze

Music Director and Conductor: Pavel Sorokin

Lighting Designer: Mikhail Sokolov

Odette-Odile Svetlana Zakharova July 15, July 17

Anna Nikulina July 16, July 19 (matinee)

Ekaterina Shipulina July 19 (evening)

Olga Smirnova July 18, July 20

The Princess Mother Ekaterina Barykina July 15, July 17, July 19 (matinee), July 20

Kristina Karasyova July 16, July 18, July 19 (evening)

Prince Siegfried David Hallberg July 15, July 17, July 19 (evening)

Artem Ovcharenko July 16, July 19 (matinee)

Semyon Chudin July 18, July 20

The Evil Genius Vladislav Lantratov July 15, July 17, July 19 (evening)

Denis Rodkin July 16

Artemy Belyakov July 18, 19 (matinee), and 20

The Tutor Alexey Loparevich

The Fool Igor Tsvirko July 15, July 17, July 19 (evening)

Denis Medvedev July 16, July 19 (matinee)

Alexander Smoliyaninov July 18, July 20

Friends to the Prince Kristina Kretova

Maria Vinogradova July 15, July 17, July 19 (matinee), July 20

Chinara Alizade July 16, July 18, July 19 (evening)

Master of Ceremonies Alexander Fadeyechev

Hungarian Bride Yulia Grebenshchikova July 15, July 19 (matinee)

Angelina Karpova July16, July 19 (evening)

Olga Marchenkova July 17

Ana Turazashvili July 18, July 20

Russian Bride Anna Rebetskaya July 15, July 17, July 19 (matinee)

Maria Vinogradova July 16, July 19 (evening)

Yulia Lunkina July 18, July 20

Spanish Bride Anna Tikhomirova July 15, July 18, July 20

Anastasia Meskova July 16, July 19 (evening)

Chinara Alizade July 17, July 19 (matinee)

Neapolitan Bride Daria Khokhlova July 15, July 20

Kristina Kretova July 16, July 19 (evening)

Anna Tikhomirova July 17, July 19 (matinee)

Maria Vinogradova July 18

Polish Bride Anna Leonova July 15, July 17, and July 19 (evening)

Anna Okuneva July 16, July 19 (matinee)

Yanina Parienko July 18, July 20

Three Swans Angelina Karpova July 15, 17, 18, 19 (matinee), and 20

Olga Marchenkova July 15, 16, 18, 19 (matinee), 19 (evening), and 20

Ana Turazashvili July 15, 16, 17, 19 (matinee), and 19 (evening)

Yulia Grebenshchikova July 16, 17, 18, 19 (evening), and 20

Four Swans Yulia Lunkina July 15, 16, 17, 19 (matinee), and 19 (evening)

Diana Kosyreva July 18, 20

Svetlana Pavlova

Margarita Shrainer

Anna Voronkova

Waltz Yanina Parienko July 15, 16, 17, 19 (matinee), and 19 (evening)

Anastasia Meskova July 15, 17, 18, 19 (matinee)

Ana Turazashvili July 15, 16, 17, 19 (matinee), 19 (evening), and 20

Anna Okuneva July 15, 17, 18, 19 evening), and 20

Anna Leonova July 16, 18, 19 (matinee), and 20

Anna Rebetskaya July 16, 18, 19 (evening), and 20

Artemy Belyakov July 15, 16, and 17

Klim Yefimov July 17, 18, 19 (matinee), 19 (evening), and 20

Dmitry Yefremov July 15, 16, 18, 19 (matinee), 19 (evening), and 20

Mikhail Kryuchkov July 16, 18, 19 (matinee), and 19 (evening)

Denis Rodkin July 15, 17, and 20

Yegor Khromushin

Don Quixote

July 22 at 8 pm; July 23 at 2 and 8 pm

Ballet in three acts

Music by Ludwig Minkus

Libretto by Marius Petipa after the novel of the same name by Miguel de Cervantes

Choreography: Marius Petipa, Alexander Gorsky

New choreographic version: Alexei Fadeyechev

Set designer: Sergei Barkhin

Costumes, based on sketches by Vasily Diyachkov (1903) revised by Tatiana Artamonova, Elena Merkurova

Music Director of the production: Alexander Kopylov

Conductor: Pavel Sorokin

Kitri (alias Dulcinea) Maria Alexandrova July 22

Ekaterina Krysanova July 23 (matinee)

Ekaterina Shipulina July 23 (evening)

Basilio, a barber Vladislav Lantratov July 22

Semyon Chudin July 23 (matinee)

Mikhail Lobukhin July 23 (evening)

Don Quixote, an errant knight Alexey Loparevich

Sancho Panza, his squire Alexander Petukhov July 22

Roman Simachev July 23 (matinee)

Sergey Minakov July 23 (evening)

Gamache, a wealthy nobleman Denis Savin July 22, July 23 (evening)

Denis Medvedev July 23 (matinee)

Juanita, Piccilia, friends to Kitri Anna Rebetskaya

Yanina Parienko July 22

Maria Vinogradova

Anna Okuneva July 23 (matinee)

Chinara Alizade

Anna Tikhomirova July 23 (evening)

Espada, a toreador Denis Rodkin July 22, July 23 (evening)

Vitaly Biktimirov July 23 (matinee)

A Street Dancer Anna Tikhomirova July 22

Anna Leonova July 23 (matinee)

Anastasia Meskova July 23 (evening)

Mercedes Oxana Sharova July 22, July 23 (matinee)

Kristina Karasyova July 23 (evening)

Lorenzo, innkeeper, Kitri’s father Yegor Simachev

Lorenzo's Wife Anastasia Vinokur

Duke Alexander Fadeyechev

Duchess Ekaterina Barykina July 22, July 23 (evening)

Maria Zharkova July 23 (matinee)

Tavern Keeper Roman Simachev July 22, July 23 (evening)

Alexander Petukhov July 23 (matinee)

The Queen of the Dryads Olga Smirnova July 22, July 23 (evening)

Anna Nikulina July 23 (matinee)

Three Dryads Angelina Karpova

Olga Marchenkova

Yulia Grebenshikova July 22, July 23 (matinee), July 23 (evening)

Four Dryads Daria Gurevich July 22

Yulia Lunkina July 23 (matinee), July 23 (evening)

Anna Voronkova

Svetlana Pavlova

Alesya Gradova

Cupid Yulia Lunkina July 22

Evgenia Savarskaya July 23 (matinee)

Daria Khokhlova July 23 (evening)

Spanish Dance Maria Zharkova July 22, July 23 (evening)

Nino Asatiani July 23 (matinee)

Two Guitars Nino Asatiani July 22, July 23 (evening)

Lyudmila Yermakova July 23 (matinee)

Vera Borisenkova July 22, July 23 (matinee), July 23 (evening)

Gypsy Dance Kristina Karasyova July 22, July 30

Anna Antropova July 23 (matinee), July 23 (evening)

Bolero Anna Antropova July 22

Kristina Karasyova July 23 (matinee)

Oxana Sharova July 23 (evening)

Vitaly Biktimirov July 22,

Yevgeny Golovin July 23 (matinee)

Anton Savichev July 23 (evening)

First Variation in Grand Pas Maria Vinogradova July 22, 23 (evening)

Daria Khokhlova July 23 (matinee)

Second Variation in Grand Pas Ana Turazashvili July 22, July 23 (evening)

Cinara Alizade July 23 (matinee)

Spartacus

July 25 and 26 at 8 pm; July 27 at 2 pm

Ballet in three acts

Music by Aram Khachaturyan

Libretto by Yuri Grigorovich after the novel of the same name by Raffaello Giovagnolli with ideas from the scenario by Nikolai Volkov

Choreographer: Yuri Grigorovich

Designer: Simon Virsaladze

Music Director of the production: Gennadi Rozhdestvensky

Conductor: Pavel Klinichev

Spartacus, Mikhail Lobukhin July 25, July 27

Leader of the Gladiators Denis Rodkin July 26

Crassus, Alexander Volchkov July 25, July 27

Leader of the Roman Army Vladislav Lantratov July 26

Aegina, courtesan Svetlana Zakharova July 25, July 27

Ekaterina Krysanova July 26

Phyrgia, Anna Nikulina July 25, July 27

Sweetheart to Spartacus Maria Vinogradova July 26

Gladiator Denis Savin July 25, July 27

Anton Savichev July 26

Mimes Chinara Alizade

Batyr Annadurdyev July 26

Anton Kondratov July 26

Victoria Litvinova July 26

Alexei Matrakhov July 25, July 27

Anna Okuneva

Yanina Parienko

Anna Rebetskaya July 25, July 27

Yegor Sharkov

Roman Simachev July 25, July 27

Anna Tikhomirova

Maria Zharkova

Vasily Zhidkov July 25, July 27

Dmitri Zhuk July 26

Three Shepherds Andrei Bolotin

Alexei Matrakhov July 26

Denis Medvedev July 25, July 27

Alexander Smoliyaninov July 25, July 27

Igor Tsvirko July 26

Four Shepherds Vitaly Biktimirov

Yevgeny Golovin July 26

Yegor Khromushin

Anton Savichev July 25, July 27

Alexander Vodopetov

Shepherdesses Svetlana Gnedova

Alesya Gradova

Daria Gurevich July 26

Daria Khokhlova

Yulia Lunkina

Svetlana Pavlova July 25, July 27

Courtesans Anna Antropova

Anna Balukova July 25, July 27

Yulia Grebenshchikova

Kristina Karasyova

Anna Leonova

Anastasia Meskova

Anna Nakhapetova

Anna Rebetskaya July 26

Well this leaves me in a bind. I really want to see Olga Smirnova/Semyon Chudin in Swan Lake, but on the other hand I consider Grigorovich's Swan Lake the ugliest, most offensive production, with the Tchaikovsky score re-arranged/massacred beyond recognition, and not only is there no lake, there is not even a swan, as the whole thing is some weird spell arranged by the creepy Evil Genius.

Well this leaves me in a bind. I really want to see Olga Smirnova/Semyon Chudin in Swan Lake, but on the other hand I consider Grigorovich's Swan Lake the ugliest, most offensive production, with the Tchaikovsky score re-arranged/massacred beyond recognition, and not only is there no lake, there is not even a swan, as the whole thing is some weird spell arranged by the creepy Evil Genius.

I found them less than persuasive, for what it's worth.

I'm pretty happy about everything I got from my blind buys, except for Swan Lake. The prospect of seeing Zakharova and Hallberg again (although for the first time together) somehow does not sound particularly exciting. On the other hand, I got Shipulina as Kitri, and I think she's the most underrated of today's Bolshoi ballerinas. The most important for me though is the chance to see Lobukhin's Spartacus, so I keep my fingers crossed and hope the above casts hold.