This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

LOST ILLUSIONS,1930s style

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

f.y.i. some glimpses of Zakharov's LOST ILLUSTIONS from 1935 (music by Asafiev), focused on Ulanova's portrayal of Coralie. the group photo is an illustration in a Russian book: SOVYETSKII BALYETNIE TEATR (1917-1967) V. Karasovskaya, editor.

the portrait photos come from little, almost-match-book size fold out booklets produced during the years of WWII, where, in addition to all else, paper was undoubtedly scarce.

Attached Files

#2 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

Wow -- that center image is so intense!

#3 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

Has anyone seen the film? I believe it was screened on Saturday and will be shown again Thursday evening. I'd love to know whether it's worth a trip into the city and a late night home.

#4 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

I saw it. I wouldn't recommend making a special trip to see it. It's "nice" but that's about it. The music is not very inspired, and the choreography and story are a bit trite. The dancers are strong but they don't have much to do besides look pretty, to be honest. It's not one of Ratmansky's stronger works IMO.

#5 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

I enjoyed it and most of the people at the cinema where I was did too. Not knowing what a trip into the city involves for you, can't really say whether it would be worth it.

#6 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:04 PM

If anyone hears about a DVD of this production, please do come back and let us all know.

#7 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Thank you for your input, canbelto and kbarber. If I'm not mistaken, Macaulay didn't like it either. I think I'll skip it for now. I'm getting too old to make trips into the city for anything that isn't stellar.

#8 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

f.y.i. some glimpses of Zakharov's LOST ILLUSTIONS from 1935 (music by Asafiev), focused on Ulanova's portrayal of Coralie. the group photo is an illustration in a Russian book: SOVYETSKII BALYETNIE TEATR (1917-1967) V. Karasovskaya, editor.

the portrait photos come from little, almost-match-book size fold out booklets produced during the years of WWII, where, in addition to all else, paper was undoubtedly scarce.

http://lib.vkarp.com...

There are further photographs of Galina Ulanova if you scroll down pass the text showing her from childhood to a much later age.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):