This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT To Unveil New Sleeping Beauty For 75th Anniversary

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#46 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

And I have my fingers crossed that he can fit in that gorgeous entr'acte!

One solution is to use it in lieu of an intermission, to 'depict' the passing of 100 years between Acts 1 and 2.

#47 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

PNB's SB (staged by Ronald Hynd after his ENB production) runs just under three hours, including three 15 minute intermissions.  It's a long evening in the theater, but well-paced.

They really only have one performance (Thursday evening, second week) that is technically on a "school night," though -- if there were more mid-week performances, that might be an issue.

#48 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

I just don't see ABT doing a 3 hour work.  There is musician and stage hand overtime to consider.  My husband was a stage manager on broadway shows and time was always of the essence.  Aside from that this is a work people bring their kids to - it it lasts for 3 hours it better be very magical.

#49 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

ABT lists the running time of R&J as being 3 hours, and so much of that time is spent on harlots twirling around in the street and other filler.

http://www.abt.org/p...asp?Event_ID=13

At least with SB, it's three hours densely packed with interesting dance. I love R&J, but I feel like the viewer has to slog through a lot of boring bits to get to the good parts.

#50 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

I agree that SB is "three hours densely packed with interesting dance" as fondoffouettes writes above -- and I love it and even adore it more than I can write -- though I'm not sure new-to-ballet-viewers always agree. I remember at the end of a performance by the Royal Ballet some years ago an older cousin walking over to say knowingly to me (that is, ignorantly, but in a 'knowing' tone of voice), 'obviously all the good dancing is in the last act...' I was actually too dumbstruck to argue.

Let's hope that ABT & Ratmansky go for as dense and substantive a production as they can muster! For myself, I am planning a trip to NY to see this production multiple times next season. If it's the quality of the Ratmansky-Burlaka Corsaire, it will be well worth it. Even if it's not, I expect it will be worth it.

#51 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:13 PM

I just don't see ABT doing a 3 hour work.  There is musician and stage hand overtime to consider.  My husband was a stage manager on broadway shows and time was always of the essence.  Aside from that this is a work people bring their kids to - it it lasts for 3 hours it better be very magical.

ABT has been using 7:30 start times during the week nights, so that doesn't seem too terrible for a ballet to get out around 10:30.  Most Broadway shows let out around then.  And I believe a 10:30 curtain would satisfy the unions also.   

#52 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:48 PM

McMillan's Manon is 150 minutes at La Scala, 160" at ABT. And R&J is 170" at Scala, 180" at ABT. If intermission at ABT is 20", then it's 15" at La Scala. So the new Beauty will be 2'45" long without intermission, almost the same length as Mariinsky's 1999 reconstructed version, which when performed at Met had three 20" intermissions and lasted 3'50".

#53 MJ

MJ

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

I'm always troubled when directors cut music from a score. Should the NY Philharmonic cut parts out of a Symphony?

Pytor must be rolling in his grave, to a very loud brass and percussion section.tiphat.gif

#54 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

Could anyone recommend particularly good SBs on either DVD or YouTube?  I've only ever seen ABT's, and I have my own sense of certain ways in which it falls short, but I'd like to get a better sense of how some other companies have made more of the piece's potential so that I have a basis for comparison once I see Ratmansky's next spring.

#55 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

The Royal Ballet's DVD with Alina Cojocaru and Frederico Bonelli is excellent and the RB Sleeping Beauty considered to be a gold standard in terms of mime and authenticity of notation and steps. 

#56 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

The Royal Ballet's DVD with Alina Cojocaru and Frederico Bonelli is excellent and the RB Sleeping Beauty considered to be a gold standard in terms of mime and authenticity of notation and steps. 

Thanks.  Is the same true (production-wise) of the earlier Durante/Solymosi/Dowell RB version, do you know?

#57 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

The Durante/Solymosi/Dowell version has some of the same choreography but a very different production. The aesthetic was not to everyone's taste and I believe it was junked soon thereafter.

#58 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

I don't care much for the sets of the 1994(?) Dowell production, but Durante is a superb Aurora.

#59 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

The Royal Ballet just broadcast another production of SB on their Ballet in Cinema program, with Sarah Lamb and Steven McRae in the main roles. 

#60 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

The Durante/Solymosi/Dowell version has some of the same choreography but a very different production. The aesthetic was not to everyone's taste and I believe it was junked soon thereafter.

Yes, Dowell's production lasted about five years. http://www.rohcollec...Sleeping Beauty

However, Makarova's production was even more short-lived. It lasted all of one year. http://www.rohcollec...Sleeping Beauty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):