This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT To Unveil New Sleeping Beauty For 75th Anniversary

Thank you for the link to the interview. Ratmansky is funny!

If you lift your leg to 135 degrees instead of 45 or do a full split it takes more time. If you add a balance here and there and multiply the pirouettes it goes further in slowing down the original tempo. And then you add an extra trick at the very end and you want the orchestra to wait for you so you can finish with a big bang, like in the circus. (Why conductors approve of that is beyond my understanding). So the variation drags and loses its danciness and its character. Well, the original is never like that. Everything is faster and more alive. Faster pirouettes, less time spent in the preparations, no walking from one corner to another. Less amplitude and ‘wow’ effect maybe, but much more common sense. Stretching the lines to the extreme played a bad joke with Petipa. Too often it looks like a boring exercise, not exciting theater.

yahoo.gif

It's brilliantly put and identifies almost everything I dislike about the Mariinsky today. I realize that's a heretical view--and I'm certainly not suggesting that Ratmansky shares it--but if ever anyone were wondering how a ballet lover could dislike the Vaganova style, I'd point to the things Ratmansky enumerated right here.

It's brilliantly put and identifies almost everything I dislike about the Mariinsky today. I realize that's a heretical view--and I'm certainly not suggesting that Ratmansky shares it--but if ever anyone were wondering how a ballet lover could dislike the Vaganova style, I'd point to the things Ratmansky enumerated right here.

I second that thought...

The Detroit-area press reports that Copeland will be appearing in the Sleeping Beauty performances at the Detroit Opera House, but exact casting is TBD.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/arts/2015/08/25/misty-copland-dance-detroit/32337209/

I'm assuming she and Shayer will perform the Blue Bird pas de deux at the gala mentioned in the article since they presumably haven't learned the lead roles since the Met season ended.

How I wish ABT would film it with the original cast! My real fear is that LaScala will do it with Zakharovainnocent.gif

RAI typically films one performance by La Scala's ballet company each calendar year. This year it's going to be the "Gala des Étoiles" at the end of October. So presumably there won't be a film of The Sleeping Beauty, at least not this time around. (I'm guessing the imperative to film Roberto Bolle outweighs most other considerations, and since he'd already been filmed in Manon with the POB last spring, there's little need to film it again at La Scala in November, which leaves the gala.)

http://www.all-opera.com/gala-des-etoiles/