• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

ABT is finally getting rid of the current (bad) production of Sleeping Beauty. Let's hope the new one, made by Ratmansky, is a winner.

http://artsbeat.blog...rsary/?ref=arts

#2 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

Whew! what a relief. For a moment, i thought , Kevin will do the new production.wink1.gif

#3 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

It'll be even better to use restored Leon Bakst's set and costumes rather than Richard Hudson's design based on Bakst's. But all in all an extremely good news.

#4 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

Very excited to read about this!  

#5 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

The work will have its premiere on March 3, 2015 at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts in Costa Mesa, Calif.,

Music to my ears! Excellent news.

#6 Fraildove

Fraildove

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

Finally!!!

#7 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:22 AM

Next up: Swan Lake??

#8 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:57 AM

Official release:

WORLD PREMIERE OF ALL-NEW PRODUCTION OF

THE SLEEPING BEAUTY CHOREOGRAPHED BY ALEXEI RATMANSKY,

SET FOR MARCH 3, 2015 AT SEGERSTROM CENTER FOR THE ARTS,

COSTA MESA, CALIFORNIA

LEAD MATCHING GIFT OF $2.5 MILLION FROM

DAVID H. KOCH TO UNDERWRITE PRODUCTION

American Ballet Theatre will premiere an all-new production of The Sleeping Beauty, choreographed by Artist in Residence Alexei Ratmansky, March 3, 2015 at Segerstrom Center for the Arts in Costa Mesa, California.  It was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.  Set to the score by Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky,

The Sleeping Beauty will be given eight performances, March 3-8, 2015, in California, and will receive its New York Premiere during ABT’s 2015 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House. 

American Ballet Theatre’s all-new production of The Sleeping Beauty will feature scenery and costumes by Tony Award®-winning designer Richard Hudson.  Hudson’s designs will be based on the historic work of Léon Bakst, who created a seminal version of The Sleeping Beauty for Serge Diaghilev’s Ballets Russes in 1921.  The production represents Hudson’s third collaboration with Ratmansky for American Ballet Theatre, having previously designed scenery and costumes for

The Nutcracker (2010) and costumes for Dumbarton (2011).

“I have long wanted to choreograph a version of The Sleeping Beauty,” said

Ratmansky.  “Tchaikovsky’s complex score and Petipa’s choreography represent the highest achievement of Russian classical art.  It symbolizes the harmony and magic of classical dance for me.”

“Having Alexei put his touch to this classic, incorporating elements of a historical reproduction, will make us look anew at The Sleeping Beauty, “ said McKenzie.  “The prospect of this venture is very exciting to me.”

Underwriting American Ballet Theatre’s new production of Alexei Ratmansky’s The Sleeping Beauty will be a lead matching gift from David H. Koch of $2.5 million.  The gift is a matching grant with funds raised for The Sleeping Beauty matched 1:1 by Koch.

“I am very proud to support Alexei Ratmansky’s next work for American Ballet Theatre,” said ABT Trustee David H. Koch.  “I look forward to seeing the artistry and creativity he will surely bring to The Sleeping Beauty.”

David H. Koch is the Lead Underwriter of American Ballet Theatre’s

The Sleeping Beauty.  The Sleeping Beauty is generously supported through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund.

American Ballet Theatre’s new production of The Sleeping Beauty is the Company’s fourth production of the ballet.  The production marks Ratmansky’s eleventh work for ABT.

#9 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

Cannot wait to see this next year!

#10 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

I hope Ratmansky & Hudson will be faithful to the Ballets Russes/Leon Bakst production.

#11 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

Yes.  Every cosmopolitan ballet company deserves a top quality Sleeping Beauty production.  Good for ABT.

#12 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

I hope Ratmansky & Hudson will be faithful to the Ballets Russes/Leon Bakst production.

Is there any record of the Ballets Russes's iteration of the Petipa choreography? Is it safe to assume it would have been more purely Petipa than later versions? I've only ever been familiar with the NYCB and ABT productions, and I'm not very knowledgeable about which portions of those productions are Petipa versus non-Petipa (except for obvious things like spiderwebs and pyrotechnical Carabosses.) It's a bit unclear from the press release if this new production will be a historical reconstruction of the dance in addition to the sets/costumes, but if that's the case, where would Ratmansky turn for most accurate Petipa choreography? I love Ratmansky's Nutcracker, but I'm glad it sounds as if his choreography for Sleeping Beauty may be more referential to the Petipa. 

I'm excited and relieved to hear about this new production. I'm so glad ABT decided to do a new production while dancers such as Murphy, Gomes, Hallberg, Part, Lane, etc. are still with the company rather than wait years and years to get their money's worth out of the old production. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'd really love to see Gomes cast in the premiere. I've been blown away by what he has brought to ABT's flawed production year after year. He's truly the ideal cavalier for any Aurora. Also, as we're always saying in these forums, a Live from Lincoln Center or similar PBS broadcast is long overdue! 

#13 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

I hope Murphy and Gomes get the opening night for this.  Of course, this is a long way off.

It's a shame that so much money was spent on the old production (which isn't really very old) but it turned out so badly.  I think a lot of the blame can be attributed to the "reworking" of the story by Gelsey's  husband.  It was more Disney than ballet.  Also the destruction of so many important portions of the wedding scene (precious metal dances) was inexplicable.  Good thing David Koch has so much money to throw around.  If memory serves, he paid for most of the cost of the last SB production too. 

#14 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

Also the destruction of so many important portions of the wedding scene (precious metal dances) was inexplicable. 

Pacific Northwest Ballet just finished a run of SB last month, and I was struck again with how beautiful and tricky the Gold and Silver dances are, and what a great showcase for up and coming dancers in the company they can be.

#15 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

I wish there was some way the "Entr'acte symphonique" between Scenes I and II of Act II could be incorporated. Though it was cut from the original production, I think it's some of the most beautiful music in the score. It would be hard to justify its inclusion from a dramatic standpoint and I realize it probably has no place in a production focused on historical reconstruction, but I love that section of music nonetheless.   

No.16 Scène

No.17 Panorama

• Interpolation: 3 transitional bars for the end of no.17 composed by Riccardo Drigo to lead into no.19, as no.18 was cut in the original production

No.18 Entr'acte symphonique (solo for violin composed for Leopold Auer, cut from the original production)

Scene II — Le château de la belle au bois dormant No.19 Scène du château de sommeil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):