This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ivan Nagy

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:48 AM

According to this report from a news source in Mallorca, where he had lived, Ivan Nagy passed away yesterday in Budapest.

http://www.diariodem...rines/9195.html

Translated via Google:

Death of Ivan Nagy , one of the great dancers of the twentieth century and living in Mallorca

He was 70 , lived in Valldemossa and shared the stage with Baryshnikov , Makarova and Nureyev

Ivan Nagy , one of the great dancers of the twentieth century , installed in Mallorca for thirty years , died yesterday in Budapest at the age of 70.

Nagy was the first dancer of some major ballets of the planet , such as the Metropolitan in New York. During his acclaimed career he starred with Baryshnikov , Makarova and Nureyev .

" The ballet will never be as popular as football ," predicted this exceptional dancer in one of his interviews given on the island. Hungarian by birth but naturalized British discovered Valldemossa in the late '70s, people who chose to live with his wife Marilyn .

Nagy was also artistic director of the prestigious National Ballet Inglés London formations of the ballet world's most offers concerts and recitals throughout the year, and is currently directing the Ballet of the Opera of Budapest.

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:11 AM

That is such sad news. As Makarova's partner, he was the first Siegfried and Albrecht I saw, and with his elegance and style, I was lucky and privileged that he was my introduction to great male classical dancing.

Rest in peace, Mr. Nagy.

#3 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:19 AM

How sad! May he rest in peace.

#4 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:50 AM

The film looks a little better without the aspect ratio distortion... You may wish to start at 3:26

#5 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:57 AM

White Swan pas de deux...

#6 Stage Right

Stage Right

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

I am very sorry to hear this. I was fortunate enough to be on the same stage with Ivan Nagy around 1971, when he came to Indiana University along with Natalia Makarova to guest star in Giselle with the IU ballet company. He was a beautiful dancer, a gorgeous man, and a very nice person. He was generous and kind to us college dancers, defusing some of Makarova's histrionics. May he rest in peace.

#7 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

#8 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

#9 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

Very sad news. I first saw him with the National Ballet of Washington--with Marilyn Burr not long after he left Hungary. Later, of course, I saw him often with ABT. He was a beautiful, seemingly natural prince with great charisma and a wonderful cavalier. The partnership with Makarova was quite special. (In my mind, I have sometimes thought of Gomez as a kind of Nagy of today.) On stage and off, he was also...well...just gorgeous as Stage Right said above. 

#10 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

This is very sad, and so young really. Such a beautiful man - I'll never forget his Giselle with Makarova.

#11 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Very sad news indeed. He was a beautiful dancer, always an artist.

#12 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

He had a superlative partnership with Makarova.  He will be sorely missed. Ivan Nagy, rest in peace.

#13 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

His partnering was so expressive, so in tune with the ballerina's intent musically... not competing with her for the audience's attention.. Never distracting... No wonder they loved to work with him.

#14 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:03 AM

Ah, I am very sorry to hear this. 

I hope he did not suffer pain, fear or loneliness. He was not old! 

I was privileged to have seen him dance with Makarova in San Francisco shortly before I left the USA when I was a young teenager many decades ago.

I remember being very impressed by both of them. 

May he always be lovingly remembered and may his family and friends find consolation. 

-d-

#15 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

Such surprising news.  Very sad.  I hope the NY Times prints a fitting obit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):