mussel

Bavarian Appointed Zelensky as New AD

33 posts in this topic

Thank you for pointing out the newspaper's correction. Indeed, only a handful of zillionaires could afford to make such massive donations annually, although an average annual donation of 162,500 is still significant.

The dancers who would seem to fall under the "fire before 15" practice would be Lucia Lacarra, Marlon Dino, Cyril Pierre and Vittorio Alberton, all of whom joined the company in 2002, although it appears that Lacarra and Dino are leaving of their own volition. Lukáš Slavický and Zuzana Zahradníková, who are also leaving, have been with the company longer than 15 years. (Special treatment by virtue of being Czechs? :wink:)

Perhaps principal dancers are treated differently on this score. At the Hamburg Ballet, two-thirds of its principals have been with the company 15 years or longer: Silvia Azzoni (since 1993), Hélène Bouchet (1998), Anna Laudere (2001), Carsten Jung (1994), Alexandre Riabko (1996), Lloyd Riggins (1995), Ivan Urban (1994). But only one member of the corps has been with the company for close to that length of time, which isn't unusual in most countries.

just pointing out a few things.... as I have been in Germany for so long.....

As far as I can make it out, in German theatres there is always the possibility - especially if one is a soloist, as are all actors (DH, for example) to work out an "extra contract" which enables them to keep working past the 15 year mark (has to be the same theatre), but without the benefit of being "unkündbar" (irredeemable?) for the years after that time. So, just before the fifteen year mark arrives, they would sign a special contract stipulating that they would be allowed to work for X more years but then would have to leave and perhaps get "guest contracts". They can also get special contracts, worked out individually, as they are soloists and the company is not (necessarily) bound to follow the contracts drawn up by the unions, etc.

The fact that there are quite a few dancers in some larger companies who have been there far longer than the fifteen years is - I think - very nice.

As to the rent for the buildings, that is - usually! - taken care of by the state or city or a combination of both; part of the substantial subventions of cultural institutions. :)

-t-

Amy,

Why shouldn't Igor Zelensky bring Osipova and Polunin and Zkorik into his company along with Shklyarov and Shirinkina?

Amy,

Why shouldn't Igor Zelensky bring Osipova and Polunin and Zkorik into his company along with Shklyarov and Shirinkina?

Oh that's just my personal opinion; Shklyarov and Shirinkina are two of my favourite dancers, but I don't like Osipova or Skorik and I'm not sure about Polunin either, especially after hearing that he can be very unreliable. Mind you, so can Osipova; the two of them always seem to be getting injured and always at the last minute before a scheduled performance...

As far as I can make it out, in German theatres there is always the possibility - especially if one is a soloist, as are all actors (DH, for example) to work out an "extra contract" which enables them to keep working past the 15 year mark

I am glad some companies find a way to work around this. It's a shame a regulation that was no doubt intended to protect employees can result in dancers being turfed out during their prime years. In the case of actors, sending them packing after 14-15 years seems completely nonsensical. (How is a 30-year-old actor supposed to play King Lear?) Surely the ministry of culture is aware of the difficulties this regulation causes and the acrobatics theaters engage it to circumvent it.

Volcanohunter, the 15 year rule was enforced by the German trade union for stagecraft and artistic workers in order to ensure a steady job after a certain time in a theatre. They were thinking of opera singers (mainly the chorus) and actors, the rule is not good for dancers, but the lobby inside the union seems to be too small to change it. And there are few dancers who really stay so long with a company, it only applies for the big companies, not for the smaller oder modern ones. As you know, Germany is the country with the most state subsidized theatres in the world - actors and singers keep moving from theatre to theatre after 5 years, after 10 years, so they have lots of possibilities to play King Lear or sing Klytaemnestra :happy:

Diane, there is no exception from the 15 year rule, you can add 4 extra years, but after that, a dancer has to be hired for the rest of his working career, that is until he or she is 65 years old.