9 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,252 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

A review of San Francisco Ballet by Allan Ulrich in The San Francisco Chronicle.

The San Francisco Ballet has long owed Lorena Feijoo a substantial role in a new ballet, and the Cuban-born principal was gifted with such an assignment Tuesday evening when, at the War Memorial Opera House, the company presented the season's first premiere, Val Caniparoli's "Tears," an abstraction that strives earnestly to make a statement.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,252 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:45 PM

An update on the new Starz cable drama about ballet, "Flesh and Bone."

From Breaking Bad's Moira Walley-Beckett, Flesh and Bone centers on a young ballet dancer (Sarah Hay) with a troubled past, as she joins a prestigious company in New York. The series will explore the dysfunction and glamour of the ballet world.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,252 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

A fire at the Harris Theater forces the cancellation of performances by Hamburg Ballet.

According to a representative for the theater, there were no injuries in the fire Wednesday afternoon, and ticket holders will be contacted by a Harris Theater representative.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,252 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:49 PM

Lourdes Lopez is appointed to the board of trustees of the Ford Foundation.

The Ford Foundation, which has distributed more than $16 billion in grants worldwide since it was founded in 1936, describes its mission as strengthening democratic values, reducing poverty and injustice, promoting international cooperation and advancing human achievement.

“In the world of big philanthropic organizations, it doesn’t get more important or powerful than Ford Foundation,” Alberto Ibargüen, president and CEO of the Miami-based John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, said in an email.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,252 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:55 PM

Q&A with Samantha Galler on dancing Alabama Ballet's Juliet.

AB: How do you prepare for Juliet outside of rehearsal?

SG: Preparing for a role like Juliet takes concentration inside and outside the studio. When I leave the ballet every day I like to write down Tracey’s and Roger’s comments from that day. It is important to keep your mind going when not in rehearsal. It is like when actors have to become a character for a movie; they sleep, eat, and breathe like that character would. It is important that I do that on every level so that I am most prepared for rehearsals and performances. I also video tape my rehearsals when I can and send them to my teacher Frances Kotelly, who I mentioned earlier, for feedback.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,252 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:57 PM

A review of Miami City Ballet by Octavio Roca for the Miami New Times.

That is newsworthy in itself, but the real news is how Episodes reaffirmed that Miami City Ballet is one of the world's great Balanchine troupes. Anton von Webern's score -- a 12-tone kaleidoscope until the final, highly-emotional Ricercata -- suffused the whole affair with an eerie serenity as the black-and-white geometries drawn by the dancers' bodies began taking shape. This Balanchine ballet embodies the mid-century New York Zeitgeist. The precision and improbable sexiness the whole company brought was breathtaking, above all by Jennifer Kronenberg and Reyneris Reyes. This couple's seductive dialectic of repulsion and attraction got to the heart of Episodes.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,252 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

An interview with Yuriko Kajiya and Jared Matthews by Nobuko Tanaka in The Japan Times.

Yet with entertainment now available at everyone’s fingertips, simply surviving is a challenge for even such acclaimed companies. In Matthews’ view, though, the key is to offer what is at the heart of all performing art.

“If someone goes to see a great piece of art, they want to feel something from it,” he explained. “People go to the theater to feel something, and that is really what ballet is about; it’s expression to movement. So if you present audiences with that, people definitely want to come back.”

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,252 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:02 AM

Summer auditions are scheduled for the Carreño-Barbieri Festival for Pre-Professionals (formerly the Carreno Dance Festival).

Late last year, Robert de Warren, who originally partnered with Carreño to begin the festival in 2011, announced that it had been put "on hiatus" for at least a year due to financial and personal issues. Less than a month later,  the Sarasota Ballet announced it had reached an agreement with Carreño, the former American Ballet Theatre principal who is now artistic director at San Jose Ballet, to partner on a revised version of the program. The new name reflects the involvement of Margaret Barbieri.....

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,252 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:04 AM

The unbeaten filly Certify will run in the Balanchine Stakes this week.

Trained by Charlie Appleby, Certify was an impressive winner of the Group 2 Cape Verdi Stakes three weeks ago over 1,600 metres, bids Group 1 Fillies’ Mile as a juvenile, but missed the whole of 2013.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,252 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:12 AM

Q&A with Wayne Sleep on the subject of travel.

Favourite tour?

When I was about 18 years old, I travelled with the Royal Ballet to different parts of central and eastern Europe. We weren’t allowed into Russia because the Russian dancer Rudolph Nureyev had defected and joined our dance company. But we did go to Luxembourg, Munich, Bulgaria, Romania, Yugoslavia, Prague, Vienna, and it was wonderful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):