This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2015 US & Canada Tour

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#106 alexL

alexL

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:03 PM

More information regarding Mariinsky's performances at BAM has been released!

http://www.bam.org/d...insky-residency

Feb 25th

Program A: 

Bolero performed by Maya Plisetskaya

Woman in a room performed by Diana Vishneva

The Dying Swan performed by Ulyana Lopatkina

Feb 26th

Program B:

No specifics yet... but the website says Lopatkina will be performing.

Feb 27th

Program C:

No specifics. Vishneva will be performing.

Feb 28th

Program D:

Lopatkina performing the works by Petipa, Fokine, Messerer, and Petit.

Probably same program as her recent performance at Yale (Russian Dance, Chopiniana, etc)

So no Raymonda after all. I gotta catch the first Raymonda performance in DC then come back to NY to see Lopatkina!

#107 Ashton Fan

Ashton Fan

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:43 AM

I imagine that you will get archival footage of Plisetskaya dancing Bejart's Bolero but shorn of her account of Bejart standing at the back of the auditorium giving her visual cues to assist her in performance because she had difficulty in remembering it.

There are plenty of opera goers in Britain who are quite comfortable with the use of the term  "Eurotrash" when it is applied to opera productions burdened by their director's concepts.Such productions tell you a great deal about the director's preoccupations and obsessions but rarely give you much idea about the work that the composer and librettist thought they had produced.They are usually described as "challenging" in pre-performance publicity and seem to be prompted by the perpetrator's boundless belief in his or her own genius and fueled by his/her intense indifference to the score and original libretto.The strange thing is that although their ideas are supposedly novel they seem to be driven by fashion. World War I is very fashionable at present.If the war remains fashionable for each centennial year we have another three years to go before we shall be free of that particular concept.

I have no problem if the word is used to describe a certain type of trendily fashionable dance work which is little more  than a pretentious title accompanied by an accumulation of atmospheric lighting;underwear; a limited range of stereotypical movement and several pages of programme notes proclaiming the choreographer's genius. 

#108 Olga

Olga

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:27 AM

Does anyone know how old Plisetskaya is in the version of Her dancing Bolero that is on YouTube?

#109 Cygnet

Cygnet

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:42 AM

Does anyone know how old Plisetskaya is in the version of Her dancing Bolero that is on YouTube?

This "Bolero" was filmed in 1975.  She was 50.

#110 Olga

Olga

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:57 PM

Thanks, Cygnet.

#111 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:59 PM

There are plenty of opera goers in Britain who are quite comfortable with the use of the term  "Eurotrash" when it is applied to opera productions burdened by their director's concepts.Such productions tell you a great deal about the director's preoccupations and obsessions but rarely give you much idea about the work that the composer and librettist thought they had produced.....

I have no problem if the word is used to describe a certain type of trendily fashionable dance work which is little more  than a pretentious title accompanied by an accumulation of atmospheric lighting;underwear; a limited range of stereotypical movement and several pages of programme notes proclaiming the choreographer's genius. 

Spot on, Ashton Fan! I may also add that Eurotrash ballet programs are pretentious affairs in which a well-known veteran ballet star presents oneself in modern schlock but charges high prices. If female, she dances barefooted or in slippers, often in street dress or a beige leotard, often to canned music or noise, yet charges exorbitant prices, as if it were a full-blown classical production with tutus and tiaras. Vanity programs for maximum profit and minimal satisfaction for lovers of traditional classical dance.

#112 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:14 PM

Gee, don't folks realize that the BAM presentations are of the Mariinsky Orchestra with a bit of ballet or modern solos or diets thrown in? Buyer beware. It has nothing to do with the size of the stage. These are primarily orchestral presentations.

#113 abatt

abatt

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:19 AM

The problem is that the BAM website prominently features photos of Vishneva and Lopatkina in performance in connection with the Mariinsky shows.  I think some people who do not read the "fine print" will be very confused as to the content. BAM recently added a line to the description on their website stating that these are solo dance performances.  Hopefully the exact program info will be provided soon. Until then, I'm not buying tixs for these shows.

#114 alexL

alexL

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

I am well aware of Gergiev's scheme but I plan to go there anyway to see Lopatkina. I see Vishneva during ABT season every year so I won't be going to see her solo performances unles's her program looks interesting. I am also making my trip to DC to see 3 Raymonda performances. Hopefully Lopatkina performs on the opening night.

#115 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:20 PM

BAM updated programs for Feb 26&28. Two very different programs, all classical pieces, with lots of dancing from Uliana. 26th may get additional pieces. Enjoy!!!!

#116 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:51 PM

I vaguely remembered a thread in which people discuss sighlines at BAM -- but did a search and couldn't find it. Are orchestra seats decently banked (say, how would it compare to Met)?  how much does one lose sitting way on side? How far back in orchestra to be sure not to lose feet? Or any other advice.  I don't know if I am going to make it--but I'm certainly going to try ... (Will also be trying to see Raymonda in D.C.)

#117 abatt

abatt

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:47 AM

Don't know if anyone bothered to check the updated BAM website, but Shkylarov is now listed for programs B and D. :yahoo:

#118 alexL

alexL

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:44 AM

I've been checking their website every day. Hopefully he recovers from the injury in time!
They haven't updated anything for Vishneva's performance yet.

#119 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:40 AM

BAM updated programs for Feb 26&28. Two very different programs, all classical pieces, with lots of dancing from Uliana. 26th may get additional pieces. Enjoy!!!!

Now we're cooking! This sounds substantial...not just a Dying Swan (not that three minutes of Uliana as the swan aren't worth the trip).

#120 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:10 AM

Please use the regular sites for reference, the mobile versions had truncated (& as such incorrect headers for) programs. BAM is said to be correcting it though.
http://www.bam.org/d...skaya-program-b

http://www.bam.org/d...skaya-program-d

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):