This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2015 US & Canada Tour

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:06 AM

does anyone have any idea where in Canada?

Toronto & Ottawa.

#17 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

I predict the company will bring Beauty to Canada, Raymonda and/or MSND to California.

#18 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

The National Ballet of Canada is doing Sleeping Beauty in June 2015, it would be nice to see something different from the Mariinsky, that we never see here. But the promoters in Toronto are notoriously unadventurous. When the Sony Centre reopened, we got the Mariinsky doing... Swan Lake, and the next year we got the Bolshoi doing... Swan Lake. Don't get me wrong, the Mariinsky Swan is beautiful, but we NEVER see a full-length Bayadere or Raymonda etc.

#19 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,749 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

Speculating without knowledge, but I imagine that part of the repertory choices depends on what the company is good at touring with.  They travel with the usual suspects (Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Giselle) fairly often -- do they take Bayadere or Raymonda on the road as often?

#20 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

Don't get me wrong, the Mariinsky Swan is beautiful, but we NEVER see a full-length Bayadere or Raymonda etc.

When Bolshoi was announced for Segerstrom (Orange County Performing Arts Center) in February 2010, they were going to do a week of La Bayadere, which I thought was quite courageous for that audience. Without explanation, a few months before the engagement, they substituted Don Quixote. Did Bolshoi decide they couldn't tour Bayadere because of sets or lack of appropriate principals or did the Segerstrom management get cold feet? I never saw an explanation, but my guess would be the latter.

#21 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

Speculating without knowledge, but I imagine that part of the repertory choices depends on what the company is good at touring with.  They travel with the usual suspects (Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Giselle) fairly often -- do they take Bayadere or Raymonda on the road as often?

they took Bayadere to Ottawa the week before they brought Swan Lake to Toronto.

#22 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,749 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

Good to know -- thanks!  Any idea how the performances did compared to other cities/rep?

#23 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

Here is my prediction, just a prediction which could turn out to be just a wishful thinking/day dreaming for a NY season. My prediction is a 2-week season with 2 full lengths and a mixed bills program, Cinderella will end the run. It will dovetail with the Kennedy Center season.

#24 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

any ideas which theatre they're likely to be in ? BAM? City Centre? NYCB is in the Koch theatre the week before and several weeks after the week of Mariinsky's Kennedy run.

#25 Lcg

Lcg

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

I was told by a company administrator that they will be at BAM, doing only Cinderella, the week before the Kennedy Center season, but as we all know too well, nothing about the current Mariinsky is certain until the performance has begun.

#26 maps

maps

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:26 AM

I would rather see the usual suspects than Hodson's reconstruction of the Rite of Spring.  I will enjoy at least having something to look at while listening to the 90 person orchestra play Stravinsky.  How delightful that would be if I was buying a ticket to an ORCHESTRA performance.   http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BryIQ9QpXwI

#27 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,749 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

I would rather see the usual suspects than Hodson's reconstruction of the Rite of Spring.  I will enjoy at least having something to look at while listening to the 90 person orchestra play Stravinsky.  How delightful that would be if I was buying a ticket to an ORCHESTRA performance.   http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BryIQ9QpXwI

Is it the reconstruction of Sacre you're objecting to, or their performance of it?  I liked the Joffrey's performance of the work (as we can see it on film) better than the film I saw of the M/St P company, but I really appreciate them keeping it in active repertory.

#28 maps

maps

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

I have limited opportunities to see the Mariinsky perform.   Run time is 40 minutes and I'd rather see classical ballet.  Firebird is 44 minutes.    Apollo is 33 minutes.  http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/playbill/2010/1/29/1_1900/

Description of dancing in The Rite of Spring: http://www.kennedy-c...ts/?event=BPBSG

#29 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

I normally go out to DC almost every season to see the Mariinsky, but this season I'll pass.  No interest in spending money for transportation and hotel to see Sacre.  I would have enjoyed seeing the rest of the program, but not enough to go to DC. 

#30 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

Agreed, abatt. The first minute of Sacre is thrilling, as one surveys the brilliantly-colored Roerich set. Then the stomping begins. And it goes on, and on, and on.

I do save a spot in my heart for Hodson/Archer's efforts in meticulously reviving the work. "E" for Effort.

How about Flora's Awakening or Carnaval or an act from Ondine? These would be audience-friendly revivals for tours.

If the Kennedy Center and the Mariinsky care so much about the next engagement being an all-Diaghilev bill, then Carnaval would fit the bill, in place of Sacre. Or a Pavillon d'Armide, which exists in the rep of the theater across from the Mariinsky (the late Nikita Dolgushin's revival); it shouldn't be so hard to add Pavillon to the Mariinsky's rep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):