This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2015 US & Canada Tour

I would rather see the usual suspects than Hodson's reconstruction of the Rite of Spring. I will enjoy at least having something to look at while listening to the 90 person orchestra play Stravinsky. How delightful that would be if I was buying a ticket to an ORCHESTRA performance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BryIQ9QpXwI

Is it the reconstruction of Sacre you're objecting to, or their performance of it? I liked the Joffrey's performance of the work (as we can see it on film) better than the film I saw of the M/St P company, but I really appreciate them keeping it in active repertory.

I normally go out to DC almost every season to see the Mariinsky, but this season I'll pass. No interest in spending money for transportation and hotel to see Sacre. I would have enjoyed seeing the rest of the program, but not enough to go to DC.

Agreed, abatt. The first minute of Sacre is thrilling, as one surveys the brilliantly-colored Roerich set. Then the stomping begins. And it goes on, and on, and on.

I do save a spot in my heart for Hodson/Archer's efforts in meticulously reviving the work. "E" for Effort.

How about Flora's Awakening or Carnaval or an act from Ondine? These would be audience-friendly revivals for tours.

If the Kennedy Center and the Mariinsky care so much about the next engagement being an all-Diaghilev bill, then Carnaval would fit the bill, in place of Sacre. Or a Pavillon d'Armide, which exists in the rep of the theater across from the Mariinsky (the late Nikita Dolgushin's revival); it shouldn't be so hard to add Pavillon to the Mariinsky's rep.

I normally go out to DC almost every season to see the Mariinsky, but this season I'll pass. No interest in spending money for transportation and hotel to see Sacre. I would have enjoyed seeing the rest of the program, but not enough to go to DC.

And there are some people who will travel to see this because they're doing the Nijinsky/Hodson -- the only constant thing about tastes is that they vary.

I'd trade the Paquita or the Swan for Carnaval or Armide though -- we hardly ever get a chance at those works!

Perhaps there are tour restrictions in their contract for Marguerite and Armand?

They'll be performing the ballet in London in a little over a week, in the Royal Ballet's own home. Perhaps its exclusion should be taken as an indication that its London Marguerites--Vishneva and Lopatkina--won't be coming to Washington.

Perhaps there are tour restrictions in their contract for Marguerite and Armand?

They'll be performing the ballet in London in a little over a week, in the Royal Ballet's own home. Perhaps its exclusion should be taken as an indication that its London Marguerites--Vishneva and Lopatkina--won't be coming to Washington.

Well, there goes that theory!

Sometimes I think that trying to understand artistic policy by looking at touring choices is like the old Soviet-era practice of guessing who was in or out of power based on the May Day parade photos...

But the program seems to indicate that Vishneva/Lopatkina are coming to Washington, because "The Swan" is a favorite for them. I've seen both of them do it. "Dying is an art, like everything else I do it exceptionally well" applies to their "Dying Swans," as both of them milk curtain calls while posing "dead" for like 10-15 min ...

The Paquita excerpts might be wonderful depending on casting, but the likelihood of Fateyev giving us casting we want to see in it for even one of the nights is slim. But Paquita is really the only thing that could get me on a plane. One stomping ballet, two super short ballet pieces and one decent classical work which is just pieces (and probably won't include the children's mazurka).....it just doesn't seem worth the hassle!

But the program seems to indicate that Vishneva/Lopatkina are coming to Washington, because "The Swan" is a favorite for them. I've seen both of them do it. "Dying is an art, like everything else I do it exceptionally well" applies to their "Dying Swans," as both of them milk curtain calls while posing "dead" for like 10-15 min ...

Would they cross eight time zones for five (well, 15-20) minutes of stage time?

Lopatkina already did that for the gala that opened one of the early-2000s seasons (the year when they took La Valse to DC). She danced The Swan once. This was the time when she was just coming out of a long injury and rarely danced on pointe.

Kondaurova, Pavlenko, Somova, Gumerova, and Kolegova also have the Swan in their repertoire. So it is not a given that Lopatkina or Vishneva would be the ones to dance it. Those two are probably the favorite choices for that role for the American audiences, but it doesn't mean they will be on the tour since things seem so crazy sometimes with casting.

I know others don't feel similarly, but I bought tickets today for the Maryinsky for their performances on January 30 & 31. Really, I saw Marguerite & Armand in London in August (twice, once with Vishneva, the other Lopatkina) and it was dull. Even the Londoners didn't like it. I'm hoping to see both Shklyarov & Kimin Kim in Spectre. I'd love to see Tereshkina in anything and frankly, despite Russian grumbling, Skorik (who probably will come) is pretty good. In fact, the whole company is fantastic. Sergeyev, Stepin, Novikova, Shirinkina, are all VERY good. I guess I'm not alone because tickets just opened to the general public Oct. 1 and already for both Friday and Saturday the orchestra is more than 50% sold & first ring sold out!

Canada is now doubtful. Berkeley will get Cinderella while OCPAC will get Raymonda. When will OCPAC announce the new season? Who are the current crops of Raymonda at MB? It may worth a trip if they bring Lopatkina to SoCal.

Currently: Lopatkina, Tereshkina, Kondaurova, Skorik, Kolegova. Also, Novikova has danced it, but I cannot remember how recently. (Shirinkina also dances it, but she is on maternity leave.)

Canada is now doubtful. Berkeley will get Cinderella while OCPAC will get Raymonda. When will OCPAC announce the new season? Who are the current crops of Raymonda at MB? It may worth a trip if they bring Lopatkina to SoCal.

Currently: Lopatkina, Tereshkina, Kondaurova, Skorik, Kolegova. Also, Novikova has danced it, but I cannot remember how recently. (Shirinkina also dances it, but she is on maternity leave.)

To see Lopatkina in the full length Raymonda would be heaven but truthfully, whoever is cast this is a can't miss for me. They tour Raymonda so rarely and we haven't seen any full length Raymonda here in NY for something like 10 years. I'm hoping for Lopatkina, Kondaurova & Tereshkina, but I'll go whoever is cast. Gonna start saving my pennies now!