This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2015 US & Canada Tour

I think one of the stops will be Costa Mesa with Raymonda. Since MB will be in DC Jan/Feb 2015, I don't know if it will stop in DC for the fall tour.

I would go to the Costa Mesa show again (if that happens). I believe they also did some nights at Berkeley's Zellerbach auditorium, last tour. That would be easier for people in the Pacific Northwest, like Sandik - Seattle to Oakland airport isn't such a long flight.

It would be a pleasure to see Raymonda either in DC or NYC. ABT has stopped doing it, presumably because of its politically incorrect plot. It has been at least 10 years since Raymonda has been done here in New York. (Not counting the Balanchine version - Raymonda Variations - which is merely a plotless distillation.)

The Mariinsky has a multi year deal with the Kennedy Center, so you can count on them being in Washington DC. every season for the next few years.

As I understand it, Ardani represents MB in all North America, except for Washington, D.C. The deal with the Kennedy Center is a totally separate affair. I could be wrong, but at least that how it used to be. Could have changed recently, but I hope the KC management is smart enough to make do without any intermediaries.

The National Ballet of Canada is doing Sleeping Beauty in June 2015, it would be nice to see something different from the Mariinsky, that we never see here. But the promoters in Toronto are notoriously unadventurous. When the Sony Centre reopened, we got the Mariinsky doing... Swan Lake, and the next year we got the Bolshoi doing... Swan Lake. Don't get me wrong, the Mariinsky Swan is beautiful, but we NEVER see a full-length Bayadere or Raymonda etc.

Speculating without knowledge, but I imagine that part of the repertory choices depends on what the company is good at touring with. They travel with the usual suspects (Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Giselle) fairly often -- do they take Bayadere or Raymonda on the road as often?

Don't get me wrong, the Mariinsky Swan is beautiful, but we NEVER see a full-length Bayadere or Raymonda etc.

When Bolshoi was announced for Segerstrom (Orange County Performing Arts Center) in February 2010, they were going to do a week of La Bayadere, which I thought was quite courageous for that audience. Without explanation, a few months before the engagement, they substituted Don Quixote. Did Bolshoi decide they couldn't tour Bayadere because of sets or lack of appropriate principals or did the Segerstrom management get cold feet? I never saw an explanation, but my guess would be the latter.

Speculating without knowledge, but I imagine that part of the repertory choices depends on what the company is good at touring with. They travel with the usual suspects (Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Giselle) fairly often -- do they take Bayadere or Raymonda on the road as often?

they took Bayadere to Ottawa the week before they brought Swan Lake to Toronto.

Here is my prediction, just a prediction which could turn out to be just a wishful thinking/day dreaming for a NY season. My prediction is a 2-week season with 2 full lengths and a mixed bills program, Cinderella will end the run. It will dovetail with the Kennedy Center season.

I was told by a company administrator that they will be at BAM, doing only Cinderella, the week before the Kennedy Center season, but as we all know too well, nothing about the current Mariinsky is certain until the performance has begun.