This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2015 US & Canada Tour

The recent Mariinsky's tour to California was partially organized by Ardani. Danilian's agency managed the performances in Costa Mesa and Berkeley and this was reflected in higher ticket prices than those offered at the Music Center in Los Angeles . As I understand it all logistics issues of a tour are handled by Ardani.

NYC fans of the Mariinsky Ballet would be more satisfied by taking the Megabus to DC on that weekend and seeing Raymonda at the Kenn Cen. The r/t bus ticket, local transport & a 2nd Tier sides matinee ballet ticket might be cheaper than a ticket to the BAM Maya tribute for three minutes of Lopatkina in Dying Swan danced on a tiny space in front of an orchestra...let alone having to sit through more Vishneva Eurotrash. Save money and see 3 hours (not 3 minutes) of real ballet in DC, with the orchestra in the pit and the dancers on a proper stage.

Sad, but true. Very sad and absolutely true.

hmm... Is BAM too small to perform Raymonda? I've never seen this production live so I don't know how big the production scale is. I think I will be making a trip to DC to catch the opening night performance. I hope I can see everything from 2nd tier front row!

hmm... Is BAM too small to perform Raymonda? I've never seen this production live so I don't know how big the production scale is. I think I will be making a trip to DC to catch the opening night performance. I hope I can see everything from 2nd tier front row!

The Mariinsky's Sergeyev production of "Raymonda" is large scale, Petipa grand ballet in three Acts, so it 'reads' best in a standard sized, garden variety opera house or a large theatre with a large stage to do it justice. Kennedy Center can present it in it's full glory. BAM could present them in it but the corps would have to be de-populated, and some of the scenery either reduced or left at home. If they wanted to produce just Act 3's Grand pas by itself, that would work at BAM.

More information regarding Mariinsky's performances at BAM has been released!

http://www.bam.org/dance/2016/mariinsky-residency

Feb 25th

Program A:

Bolero performed by Maya Plisetskaya

Woman in a room performed by Diana Vishneva

The Dying Swan performed by Ulyana Lopatkina

Feb 26th

Program B:

No specifics yet... but the website says Lopatkina will be performing.

Feb 27th

Program C:

No specifics. Vishneva will be performing.

Feb 28th

Program D:

Lopatkina performing the works by Petipa, Fokine, Messerer, and Petit.

Probably same program as her recent performance at Yale (Russian Dance, Chopiniana, etc)

So no Raymonda after all. I gotta catch the first Raymonda performance in DC then come back to NY to see Lopatkina!

I imagine that you will get archival footage of Plisetskaya dancing Bejart's Bolero but shorn of her account of Bejart standing at the back of the auditorium giving her visual cues to assist her in performance because she had difficulty in remembering it.

There are plenty of opera goers in Britain who are quite comfortable with the use of the term "Eurotrash" when it is applied to opera productions burdened by their director's concepts.Such productions tell you a great deal about the director's preoccupations and obsessions but rarely give you much idea about the work that the composer and librettist thought they had produced.They are usually described as "challenging" in pre-performance publicity and seem to be prompted by the perpetrator's boundless belief in his or her own genius and fueled by his/her intense indifference to the score and original libretto.The strange thing is that although their ideas are supposedly novel they seem to be driven by fashion. World War I is very fashionable at present.If the war remains fashionable for each centennial year we have another three years to go before we shall be free of that particular concept.

I have no problem if the word is used to describe a certain type of trendily fashionable dance work which is little more than a pretentious title accompanied by an accumulation of atmospheric lighting;underwear; a limited range of stereotypical movement and several pages of programme notes proclaiming the choreographer's genius.

There are plenty of opera goers in Britain who are quite comfortable with the use of the term "Eurotrash" when it is applied to opera productions burdened by their director's concepts.Such productions tell you a great deal about the director's preoccupations and obsessions but rarely give you much idea about the work that the composer and librettist thought they had produced.....

I have no problem if the word is used to describe a certain type of trendily fashionable dance work which is little more than a pretentious title accompanied by an accumulation of atmospheric lighting;underwear; a limited range of stereotypical movement and several pages of programme notes proclaiming the choreographer's genius.

Spot on, Ashton Fan! I may also add that Eurotrash ballet programs are pretentious affairs in which a well-known veteran ballet star presents oneself in modern schlock but charges high prices. If female, she dances barefooted or in slippers, often in street dress or a beige leotard, often to canned music or noise, yet charges exorbitant prices, as if it were a full-blown classical production with tutus and tiaras. Vanity programs for maximum profit and minimal satisfaction for lovers of traditional classical dance.

The problem is that the BAM website prominently features photos of Vishneva and Lopatkina in performance in connection with the Mariinsky shows. I think some people who do not read the "fine print" will be very confused as to the content. BAM recently added a line to the description on their website stating that these are solo dance performances. Hopefully the exact program info will be provided soon. Until then, I'm not buying tixs for these shows.

I am well aware of Gergiev's scheme but I plan to go there anyway to see Lopatkina. I see Vishneva during ABT season every year so I won't be going to see her solo performances unles's her program looks interesting. I am also making my trip to DC to see 3 Raymonda performances. Hopefully Lopatkina performs on the opening night.

I vaguely remembered a thread in which people discuss sighlines at BAM -- but did a search and couldn't find it. Are orchestra seats decently banked (say, how would it compare to Met)? how much does one lose sitting way on side? How far back in orchestra to be sure not to lose feet? Or any other advice. I don't know if I am going to make it--but I'm certainly going to try ... (Will also be trying to see Raymonda in D.C.)

BAM updated programs for Feb 26&28. Two very different programs, all classical pieces, with lots of dancing from Uliana. 26th may get additional pieces. Enjoy!!!!

Now we're cooking! This sounds substantial...not just a Dying Swan (not that three minutes of Uliana as the swan aren't worth the trip).