This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Met Opera 2014-2015 Season

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#76 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:09 PM

Why would he be pleased about this.  People involved with the production have been threatened with bodily harm.  I suspect people who have tickets are considering whether they will be harrassed on the way into the opera house, and also wondering about the safety once inside the opera house.  Yes, he's getting a lot of publicity, but this kind of publicity - where people feel they may be physically harmed - isn't helpful or wanted.

#77 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:15 PM

People protesting the production because they think it glorifies terrorists are planning acts of terror?

#78 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:02 PM

Gelb and various cast members have received threats, according to published reports.

#79 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:51 PM

The situation seems too volatile for Gelb to be pleased (especially given what must be his concern over what donors will do). 

#80 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:03 PM

Those with enough influence on the board spoke when they made their calls to pressure him to drop "Klinghoffer" from the HD broadcast.

If people are threatening Gelb, he's living it.

#81 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted Today, 05:52 PM

I was at the premiere last night. Protestors were not as large in number as expected, and the NYPD put them in safe spaces away from the attendees. There were vigorous bag checks and some mid-show disruptions but overall it was peaceful and at the end John Adams got a huge standing ovation. The cast is amazing and the production is well worth seeing. Shame it won't be preserved on HD.

On my way in a woman tried to block me and said "I love Israel." I said "I love Israel too but you're in my way." That was that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):