This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Met Opera 2014-2015 Season

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:10 AM

The Met Opera has announced their 2014-15 season.

http://www.metoperaf...type=next&sn=st

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,315 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

That's if there is a season and not a lockout.

#3 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

I'm putting in a plug for Shostakovich's Lady McBeth of Mtsensk. The Graham Vick / Paul Brown production is one of those "updatings" (from 1865 to what looks to be about 1965) that really works. 

Not that it should matter one bit, but when I did a quick search on tenor Brandon Jovanovich, one of the firsts things that popped up in the search box was "shirtless" ... 

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,315 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

I'm hoping against hope that "Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk" will be one of the HD broadcasts.  I saw the Kusej production in Paris -- it was recorded at the Nederlandse Opera for DVD -- and Eva Maria Westbroek's performance was one of the greatest I've ever seen in opera. 

#5 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

I'm hoping against hope that "Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk" will be one of the HD broadcasts.  I saw the Kusej production in Paris -- it was recorded at the Nederlandse Opera for DVD -- and Eva Maria Westbroek's performance was one of the greatest I've ever seen in opera. 

I haven't heard her live yet -- now's my chance ...

#6 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

I'm hoping against hope that "Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk" will be one of the HD broadcasts.

It's not listed for this season.

The 2014-15 season of The Met: Live in HD will feature 10 live transmissions of select Saturday matinees to movie theaters around the world. The HD season opens on October 11 with Macbeth and continues with Le Nozze di Figaro (October 18), Carmen (November 1), The Death of Klinghoffer (November 15), Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg (December 13), The Merry Widow (January 17), Les Contes d’Hoffmann (January 31), Iolanta and Duke Bluebeard’s Castle (February 14), La Donna del Lago (March 14), and Cavalleria Rusticana and Pagliacci (April 25).

As a big John Adams fan, The Death of Klinghoffer is what I'm excited about.

#7 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,315 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

This is typical:  the Met also passed on Chereau's last production for the Met, Janacek's "From the House of the Dead."  wallbash.gif

Way to build an international audience, Met Opera.

With the dates in the quote from kfw, the Met Opera site currently lists:

• Macbeth, October 11:  Luisi; Netrebko, Calleja, Lucic, Pape
  • Le Nozze di Figaro, October 18:  Levine; Poplavskaya, Petersen, Leonard, Mattei, Abdrazakov
  • Carmen, November 1:  Heras-Casado; Hartig, Rachvelishvili, Antonenko, Abdrazakov
  • The Death of Klinghoffer, November 15:  Robertson; Martens, Panikkar, Szot, Opie, Allicock, Green
  • Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg, December 13: Levine; Dasch, Cargill, Botha, Appleby, Reuter, Kränzle, König, Rose
  • The Merry Widow, January 17: Davis; Fleming, O'Hara, Gunn, Shrader, Allen
  • Les Contes d'Hoffmann, January 31: Abel; Gerzmava, Gerzmava, Gerzmava, Lindsey, Grigolo, Hampson
  • Iolanta/Duke Bluebeard's Castle, February 14 (what a date to feature an opera about Bluebeard): Gergiev; Netrebko, Beczala, Markov, Azizov, Tanovitski, Michael, Petrenko
  • La Donna del Lago, March 14:  Mariotti; DiDonato, Barcellona, Flórez, Osborn, Gradus
  • Cavalleria Rusticana and I Pagliaci, April 25: Luisi; Westbroek, Álvarez, Lucic, Racette, Álvarez, Gagnidze, Meachem

Interesting that the last two operas are transmissions of the last performance of the season.  They must figure they don't need HD's to draw people in for these.

#8 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,266 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:49 AM

Oh...I need to be in the house for "Iolanta"...

#9 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

that would be great -- I know that they usually make fairly conservative choices for these, but once in awhile (The Nose) they step out, and this could be one of those times.

#10 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

As a big John Adams fan, The Death of Klinghoffer is what I'm excited about.

"Met Opera Cancels Upcoming Live in HD broadcast of The Death of Klinghoffer"

After an outpouring of concern that its plans to transmit John Adams's opera The Death of Klinghoffer might be used to fan global anti-Semitism, the Metropolitan Opera announced the decision today to cancel its Live in HD transmission, scheduled for November 15, 2014..."I'm convinced that the opera is not anti-Semitic," said the Met's General Manager, Peter Gelb. "But I've also become convinced that there is genuine concern in the international Jewish community that the live transmission of The Death of Klinghoffer would be inappropriate at this time of rising anti-Semitism, particularly in Europe." The final decision was made after a series of discussions between Mr. Gelb and Abraham Foxman, National Director of the Anti-Defamation League, representing the wishes of the Klinghoffer daughters.

http://www.broadwayw...HOFFER-20140617

#11 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

Fiddlesticks.  And other, less family-friendly comments.

#12 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

If they are afraid that a "live" transmission will invite controversy, why don't they film it and release it on DVD.  There is now an article on this in the NY Times. As expected, John Adams is angry.

#13 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

I don't blame Adams for his frustration -- Klinghofer has already been produced all over the world.  Wasn't it broadcast on PBS?

edited to add:  UK Channel 4 in 2003, distributed in theaters

#14 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

From the NY Times:

The Anti-Defamation League praised the Met for withdrawing the cinema broadcast, saying that “while the opera itself is not anti-Semitic,” it feared that it could stir up anti-Israel sentiments or anti-Semitism in parts of the world.

Good grief. Why didn’t they just say “Although we stand for the rights of an often viciously mischaracterized minority, we decline to stand by another party when he has his work and his character defamed.”

But thanks for the news, volcanohunter.

#15 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,315 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

I don't think there's anything in the Met's statement that defames John Adams.  There are plenty of things that are used to inflame nationalistic, racial, ethnic, and religious divisions and heinous actions that have nothing to do with works themselves.

I don't think that the 200K people who go to see Met in HDs would be inspired to commit hate crimes; I do think that the production might have been slightly more noticed in a few previews without this decision, but pulling it, the Met not only shows its own hypocrisy after making a big show of not getting involved in political issues during the "Eugene Onegin" protests, but also has made the issue much more visible than it would have been and pretty much has written the press release for those who disagree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):