31 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,990 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

Unless some dancers were filling in for taping or Dress, Foster, Eames, and Griffiths were cast in the "Emeralds" Pas de Trois, not the leads, and not always with each other in the PdT.  We have the leads from 2006 and 2009 pretty well documented here.  Foster also danced in "Rubies." 

I thought that looked like Korbes in "Diamonds."  Maybe Bold partnered her in Dress?

sandik:  do you remember there being unusual casting in the Dress Rehearsal for "Jewels?"

#17 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

Also, Moor's Pavane looks like Olivier Wevers, not Stanton.

I think you're right -- it's Wevers as the Friend, with an odd haircut.

#18 dancinginthesnow

dancinginthesnow

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

Yes, Foster/Eames/Griffiths danced the Pas de Trois.  The leads aren't onstage in this particular clip selection.

I think the Emeralds and Rubies footage is from 2009, while the Diamonds footage is from 2013.  I want to say that Bold stepped in for dress rehearsal with Carla due to Karel being injured, but I'm not positive about that.

#19 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,990 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

Oh, yes, that's before the two female leads enter the second-to-last movement and is danced by the PdT dancers and the second couple's man.  Thank you!

That makes sense for 2013 footage, since Cruz's injury before "Diamonds" meant no performances for Korbes first weekend and Gilbreath second weekend -- Peter Boal said in a Q&A it was a back injury -- and then Korbes was injured and didn't dance after first weekend.  She was scheduled originally to dance in the Encore excerpt with Seth Orza, but Imler danced instead.

#20 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

I have the 2014/15 renewal brochure, and Rep 5 lists Swan Lake instead of R&J.   So has the asterick "subject to change" been invoked?

Apparently yes, because the PNB website now lists Rep 5 to be Swan Lake.  

i can't say I am disappointed, because PNB has some stellar Swan Queens.  I look forward to La Imler's "swan arms".  Was it chosen because SL redux projected to sell better than R&J redux?  

#21 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

Without letting any cats out of any bags, I can say that most changes that happen at this point in the process have at least something to do with budget concerns.  It's likely not about projected ticket sales per se -- both R&J and SL sell very well for this company.

Like many companies, PNB starts to sell their subscription renewals before they've completed their budgeting for the upcoming year.  Some presenting organizations (like On the Boards in Seattle) have been able in the past to include TBA items in a subscription appeal, but that's becoming less common.  I still see it in theater companies, and in some single works on a mixed rep bill in dance companies, but it's not as common as it used to be.  It's easier to sell a known commodity than a question mark.

#22 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,990 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

PNB owns the sets and costumes for both "Swan Lake" and "Romeo et Juliette," though.  If ticket sales aren't an issue for either, I'm not sure why the swap would be between these two works. RetJ uses fewer students and no guest artists.  The big expense -- although not as much as in the PNB premiere -- will be "Don Quixote."

RetJ has sold well for PNB, but 2015 would have made it the fourth time shown in seven years (2008, 2009, 2013, 2015), with the Balcony Pas de Deux included in the 2011 "Love Stories" program.  

#23 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

I don't know what the artist fees are for Maillot and Stowell.

Just guessing -- R&J might cost more to run for stagehands -- it's a trickier set with internal cues.

Any more speculation?

#24 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:29 PM

maybe feedback from subscribers after the initial announcement for Rep 5 R&J wasn't so positive?  Also I think PNB rents out the R&J sets (Atlanta Ballet), so maybe they want them back for 2015 and there are time conflicts?

One of us could be brave and contact PNB and just ask.  :)

#25 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

The word right now is "budget" -- no further words available, at least as of last week.

#26 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

Meany Hall just announced their 14-15 season, and Lyon Opera Ballet is bringing their production of Forsythe's Steptext April 16-18 -- with PNB's Forsythe evening in March we'll have a nice big helping from that repertory!

#27 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,990 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:25 PM

PNB has confirmed that Forsythe will be in Seattle to stage his works on its Facebook page under an intense photo of Maria Chapman in "in the middle, somewhat elevated":

https://www.facebook...?type=1&fref=nf

#28 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

Oh excellent -- I've been reading the NYT article covering his coaching session at Boston Ballet and hoping we could have the same experience here.

#29 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,990 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:46 PM

Peter Boal just tweeted,

Day #1: @Justin_Peck new creation @PNBallet. Preview at the Joyce in October, premiere in Seattle @McCawHall in November.

#30 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

Season press release just out -- alongside the performances themselves they list a wide variety of lectures, rehearsals, and other fun stuff!  As listed in the release:

Jacob’s Pillow Preview (Studio Presentation)

Thursday, July 31, 5:30 pm

Pacific Northwest Ballet returns to historic Jacob’s Pillow with a mixed bill—including David Dawson’s A Million Kisses to my Skin, Nacho Duato’s Rassemblement, Annabelle Lopez Ochoa’s Before After, and Susan Stroman’s TAKE FIVE…More or Less—plus a one-off performance of Molissa Fenley’s State of Darkness.

Jewels Coaching Series (Studio Presentations)

Diamonds, featuring Jacques d’Amboise

Wednesday, August 20, 5:30 pm

Emeralds, featuring Violette Verdy and Mimi Paul

Thursday, September 11, 5:30 pm

Rubies, featuring Edward Villella

Monday, September 22, 5:30 pm

Pacific Northwest Ballet Artistic Director Peter Boal has invited the original interpreters of George Balanchine’s Jewels to coach PNB dancers for the Company’s revival of the 1967 masterpiece. Join these esteemed artists in the studio for a series of coaching sessions on the iconic roles Balanchine made for them.

Wolf Trap Preview (Studio Presentation)

Thursday, August 21, 6:00 pm

Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts has commissioned a new work from Andrew Bartee, former PNB dancer and PNB School student which was filmed in Olympic National Park in April 2014. The Company will offer a single performing at Wolf Trap on August 27 and will preview it in Seattle at this studio presentation.

Joyce Theater Preview (Studio Presentation)

Tuesday, September 30, 5:30 pm

Pacific Northwest Ballet returns to New York’s Joyce Theater with a mixed bill, including Christopher Wheeldon’s Tide Harmonic, Alejandro Cerrudo’s Memory Glow, and a preview of Justin Peck’s new work that will have its Seattle premiere in November’s DIRECTOR’S CHOICE program.

Being Don Quixote: A Conversation with Tom Skerritt & Guests (Seminar)

Saturday, January 24 @ 3:00-4:30 PM

A panel discussion featuring actors Tom Skerritt and Allen Galli with PNB Company dancers.

William Forsythe On Stage (Lecture-Demonstration)

Wednesday, March 11, 6:30 pm

McCaw Hall, 321 Mercer Street at Seattle Center

Hear from iconic choreographer William Forsythe as he rehearses PNB Company dancers on stage at McCaw Hall in his own works.

PNB Lecture Series & Dress Rehearsal

McCaw Hall, 321 Mercer Street at Seattle Center

Jewels – Edward Villella

Thursday, September 25

DIRECTOR’S CHOICE – Justin Peck

Thursday, November 6

Don Quixote – Panel Discussion

January 29

THE VERTIGINOUS THRILL OF FORSYTHE – William Forsythe

Thursday, March 12

Swan Lake – Panel Discussion

Thursday, April 9

Carmina Burana – Alexei Ratmansky (Concerto DSCH)

Thursday, May 28

PNB’s Lecture Series offers in-depth discussions with choreographers, stagers, designers, dancers, and other artists that reveal much about the creative process involved in the development of a ballet. Guests may attend the lecture only or stay for the dress rehearsal.  (Tickets $12 lecture only; $30 lecture and dress rehearsal.)

Friday Previews

Jewels

September 19

Don Quixote

January 23

THE VERTIGINOUS THRILL OF FORSYTHE               

March 6

Carmina Burana

May 15

PNB’s popular Friday Previews are hour-long studio rehearsals hosted by Artistic Director Peter Boal and PNB artistic staff, featuring Company dancers rehearsing excerpts from upcoming ballets. These events usually sell out in advance.  Friday Previews are sponsored by U.S. Bank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):