• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:15 AM

The schedule for the NY visit has been posted on the Koch Theater site: http://www.davidhkoc...moreinfoBB.html

#2 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:40 AM

Well this is shaping up to be a very busy spring/summer on the plaza!

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

Busy is good.

#4 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

And a very busy fall season too.
Parade of ballet companies in chronological order:

NYCB
ABT
Boston
Bolshoi
National Ballet of Canada
NYCB
ABT
Mikhailovsky
NYCB

#5 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

I'm having a hard time getting excited about the Boston Ballet visit.   The rep is disappointing.

To add to mussel's list with some modern dance entries, Alvin Ailey will be coming to the Koch Theater in June 2014, and Paul Taylor will be there in March 2014.

If you want to see Chroma (Wayne McGregor), it will be performed by the Ailey company during the Koch engagement.  I liked Chroma much better than any other McGregor ballets I've seen.

#6 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

And a very busy fall season too.
Parade of ballet companies in chronological order:

NYCB
ABT
Boston
Bolshoi
National Ballet of Canada
NYCB
ABT
Mikhailovsky
NYCB

Do we have any dates for these, especially Canada and those following? 

#7 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

Now 25% off to buy both programs. Too bad I can't take advantage of the discount, I can only go the Sunday show, as the program and castings across the plaza is more enticing. That's the peril for ballet companies to tour Lincoln Center during the spring season.

#8 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

It looks like these Boston Ballet  tickets are selling  poorly, based on a few random dates I clicked on to.  Going head to head with Swan Lake at ABT is tough, especially given the mostly unappealing rep that BB is bringing. 

#9 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

Box office usually picks up considerably with approaching performance dates. I hope this doesn't discourage smaller companies from touring Lincoln Center, they just need to be mindful when picking dates and reps. SFB box office was pretty solid last fall when it's the only game in town.

#10 Rick

Rick

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

I enjoyed the program last night especially the Forsythe piece. I'm looking forward to second program which will feature Symphony in Three Movements and Nijinsky's Afternoon of a Faun. 

#11 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

I enjoyed the program last night especially the Forsythe piece. I'm looking forward to second program which will feature Symphony in Three Movements and Nijinsky's Afternoon of a Faun. 

Was the house reasonably sold? The Theatre Development Fund has had $34 tickets for the entire run for weeks and still does.

#12 Rick

Rick

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

The third ring was reasonably full but there were available seats. There were a lot of young people in the audience who were obviously enjoying the modern pieces.

#13 Amour

Amour

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:37 PM

I saw program 1 Thursday night (BTW, Wendy Whelan and Amar Ramasar were there). I did love The Second Detail. It seemed like just another Forsythe work but without any interesting costumes. I did love Resonance by former POB etoile Jose Martinez. It was probably the most traditional of the 3 works but IMO showed the dancers off beautifully, especially Lia Cirio. Cacti, by the Swede Alexander Ekman, seemed very gimmicky with it's spoken text and movable set pieces (including dancers bring out individual cacti).

As for the dancers, they were technically very strong. I actually thought their corps looked stronger than ABT's. Many of the female dancers are short but they all have similar body types and proportions. Don't forget Vaganova trained Keenan Kampa, currently of the Mariinsky, came from Boston Ballet. It's nice to see a company where height doesn't matter but proportions do.

I look forward to seeing how the company does Symphony in 3, especially as NYCB performs it frequently. Saturday can't come too soon!

#14 Amour

Amour

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:40 PM

Whoops, meant to say I didn't love the Forsythe piece, not the opposite.

#15 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

Why did they bring such awful works on the tour. Were they really so afraid of comparisons to NYCB and/or ABT?  The ticket sales were dismal.  They have been trying to unload discount tickets for weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):