This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Lamar Alsop, 1928-2014

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

(Keith) Lamar Alsop, the longtime NYCB Orchestra concertmaster, has died at age 85.  His wife, Ruth, who played for the NYCB Orchestra for over half a century, died 10 days ago.

http://www.nytimes.c...dies-at-85.html

Rest in peace, Mr. and Mrs. Alsop, and deepest sympathy to daughter Marin Alsop and the rest of their family.

#2 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

I'm so slow -- I didn't realize Marin Alsop was their daughter.  How hard it must be, to lose both parents so close together.

#3 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:14 AM

I'm so slow -- I didn't realize Marin Alsop was their daughter.  How hard it must be, to lose both parents so close together.

I never made that connection either!

Rest in Peace.

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

Marin Alsop said in an interview this summer, when she became the first woman to close the BBC Proms, that her parents encouraged her to become a conductor as soon as she expressed interest in it, and her father especially told her to not limit her expectations because she was female.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):