This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Lamar Alsop, 1928-2014

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,485 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

(Keith) Lamar Alsop, the longtime NYCB Orchestra concertmaster, has died at age 85.  His wife, Ruth, who played for the NYCB Orchestra for over half a century, died 10 days ago.

http://www.nytimes.c...dies-at-85.html

Rest in peace, Mr. and Mrs. Alsop, and deepest sympathy to daughter Marin Alsop and the rest of their family.

#2 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• 5,692 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

I'm so slow -- I didn't realize Marin Alsop was their daughter.  How hard it must be, to lose both parents so close together.

#3 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:14 AM

I'm so slow -- I didn't realize Marin Alsop was their daughter.  How hard it must be, to lose both parents so close together.

I never made that connection either!

Rest in Peace.

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,485 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

Marin Alsop said in an interview this summer, when she became the first woman to close the BBC Proms, that her parents encouraged her to become a conductor as soon as she expressed interest in it, and her father especially told her to not limit her expectations because she was female.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):