This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

RDB's Manon insight programme live-streamed Feb 10

Thank you for letting us know! I hadn't noticed if it wasn't for your message here on the board, even though I'm looking almost daily at the homepage of the RDB. I came home from Copenhagen just half an hour before it started, so it was pure luck!

Do you know anything about this Karl Burnett, who is doing the staging? I can't find anything about him, neither in my books, nor in the internet.

I didn't know Karl Burnett's name but I guess this is him (3rd one down):

http://www.donaldscrimgeour.com/choreologists.html

What did you think of it, Anne? I thought it came over very well as a programme and I really did like Lendorf - I think des Grieux could suit him very well indeed. Also liked Lo Sardo and I'd guess she'll come over better in the full role than in extracts. And always good to see Mads Blangstrup! (Lo Sardo must wonder what happened - I don't think she's done the lead in a 3-acter with the company before and suddenly she gets two first casts at the same time! (She's also dancing Teresina in Napoli at the moment, also with Lendorf.))

I gather they had some transmission problems to some platforms - the bit I watched on my Android tablet stopped occasionally and was also in the wrong aspect ratio - but this is their first try and they acknowledge their system isn't perfect yet. But I do hope they'll do lots more like this. (And I wonder if they'll put this on YouTube eventually?)

It was announced on Facebook but I don't think it was on the company site unless you actually looked at the page for the event - I wouldn't have known about it if Eva hadn't told me.

We had no problems with neither ratio nor transmission, it only had tiny tiny stops which the eye hardly registered. It is a great idea to transmit these sessions, only should they advertise them better. I hope they will do more of this kind in future.

I think as a programme it had too much talking in it, especially in the beginning where the retelling of the story would take no end (and I wonder if a Danish audience actually understands English to that extent). But I shall not complain: they were extremely generous with the dance excertps! I was especially surprised they had called in all the men for the big scene in act two where Manon is handed round like a delicious "dish".

You are right about Lendorf. He has the right adagio qualities for Des Grieux and also the right temperament, I think. I'm rather curious to see, if Alexandra Lo Sardo will be able to create a three dimensional character out of Manon. She is not one of my favorite dancers. Though technically a really able and refined dancer, she still has to prove to me that she can express anything deeper than sweetness or temper. Her dance has until now come over to me as very unpersonal, as if she is not really there. What we saw yesterday was, however, quite promissing in that respect.