This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2014 International Ballet Festival

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

Here is the link the Mariinsky has sent out (on Facebook at least) to the International Ballet Festival Program. Tereshkina is the opening night Sylvia. ABT's Isabella Boylston will be a guest later in week--dancing with Somova in Bayadere:

http://www.mariinsky...allet_fest_231/

#2 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Also interesting that Ivan Vasiliev is dancing Bayadere with Kondaurova, and he is listed as being with the Mikhailovsky.

Holding out hope that Vasiliev will also dance Solor with ABT at least once this Spring.

#3 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

Whose Sylvia Mariinsky going to dance? Ashton's? I don't remember Mariinsky performing Sylvia.

#4 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

They are doing Ashton's Sylvia for the first time. Anna Trevien and Susan Jones are listed as coaches for the Mariinsky's production. 

#5 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:31 PM

Almost all casting now posted. Click on each evening for a more complete listing.

Oxana Skorik gets one of the Swan Lakes. Brava! She was beautiful doing the Act I Odette duet at the Gala two years ago.

Lots of other good stuff as well.

http://www.mariinsky...allet_fest_231/

(thanks to ElenaK at Dansomanie for discovering the additional info at each event)

#6 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

MB posted pictures of Sylvia on its FB page, the set and costume appear to be the same as ABT/RB's:
10150540_10152299170565798_673359578_n.p

10245491_656498407718688_69576270_n.jpg

#7 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

I can't tell you anything about this, mussel, but I attended both nights and thought the performances to be excellent. Viktoria Tereshkina was especially fine and received a great response from the audience along with a string of curtain calls. Night two was also very successful with Xander Parish performing brilliantly and Alina Somova using her flexibility and magnificent long limbs to best advantage to reinforce the work's sense of otherworldly beauty.

Added:

Maybe this can help you, mussel.

Rough Google translation: 

“Valery Fateev and. about. Head of the Kirov Ballet, choreographer, coach: "All modified: costumes, scenery largely correspond to sketches, because we used a more expensive fabrics for suits, brighter painting. You will see this in the second and in the third act. The performance was quite beautiful. I think it will be fabulous. "

(Валерий Фатеев, и. о. заведующего балетной труппой Мариинского театра, балетмейстер-репетитор: «Все доработано: и костюмы, и декорации во многом соответствуют эскизам, поскольку использовались более дорогие ткани для пошива костюмов, более яркая живопись. Вы увидите это и во втором, и в третьем акте. Спектакль получился достаточно красивый. Думаю, он будет сказочный».)

Подробнее на НТВ.Ru: http://www.ntv.ru/no.../#ixzz2y3HOQTTt
(thanks to Sophia at Dansomanie for finding this)

#8 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:58 PM

I infer that this is from the closing gala of the festival--and, I think, very beautiful: Part and Matthews in Ratmansky's Seven Sonatas -

#9 maps

maps

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

Here is a link to another good Festival performance- Swan Lake.    

#10 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

I infer that this is from the closing gala of the festival--and, I think, very beautiful: Part and Matthews in Ratmansky's Seven Sonatas -

It's indeed from the closing gala, Drew, and was "very beautiful," as was Oxana Skorik, the best I've ever seen her.

#11 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

I'm not sure what's going on, but the video in post #9 is rotated 90 degrees on my screen -- it's a very interesting effect, but I have a feeling that's not how it's intended...

#12 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

Many thanks for the Ratmansky video -- I hadn't seen that one, and am so glad to have had a look.

#13 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:43 AM

I'm not sure what's going on, but the video in post #9 is rotated 90 degrees on my screen -- it's a very interesting effect, but I have a feeling that's not how it's intended...

Go for the Fred Astaire effect, sandik, when he was filmed dancing on the ceiling (or so it seemed). She can be that enchanting anyway. I've just had a chance to watch several minutes of the video, as I'm in the middle of traveling, but as beautiful as the clip appears, to see her live on stage was way beyond even this.

There were many wonderful performances that night, but for me, one of the greatest that I've seen ever was Alina Somova's The Dying Swan. She did things that I've never seen her do quite like this before and it was Magnificent !

#14 maps

maps

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:32 AM

I wish The Mariinsky would bring Sleeping Beauty to the USA.

#15 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:01 AM

MB posted pictures of Sylvia on its FB page, the set and costume appear to be the same as ABT/RB's:

I can comment as I was at the festival press conference. When asked if the Theatre intended to keep Silvia in the repertoire long term and/or if permission/rights had been paid in order to do so, Fateyev responded that they paid to have the sets and costumes done anew specifically for the Mariinsky and that unlike ABT which had borrowed theirs from the Royal Ballet, this 'set' of costumes/scenery is new and belongs to the Mariinsky and thus he hopes the ballet will remain in rotation for years to come.

He did not comment on how many years or any amounts paid or not paid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):