This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Afternoon of a Faun: Tanaquil Le Clercq

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:54 PM

The documentary opens 2/5 Wed. at Lincoln Center, there will be Q&A sessions with Jacques d'Amboise & Arthur Mitchell after the 6:45pm screenings on 2/5(JdA), 2/7(AM), 2/8(AM): http://www.filmlinc....q-nancy-buirski

NY Times review: http://www.nytimes.c...l?ref=arts&_r=0

Interview with the director on WNYC: http://www.wnyc.org/...quil-le-clercq/

#2 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

I saw the movie this afternoon and loved it.  I had no idea so much footage of her dancing existed.  She was a totally intriguing dancer and woman.  She had a radiant quality, urbane wit, and intelligence that was clearly projected in her photographs, dancing, letters and interviews.  The letters to and from her and Jerome Robbins are fascinating.  I urge everyone to see this movie if they can.  Hopefully it will be available.

#3 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

I saw the movie this afternoon and loved it.  I had no idea so much footage of her dancing existed.  She was a totally intriguing dancer and woman.  She had a radiant quality, urbane wit, and intelligence that was clearly projected in her photographs, dancing, letters and interviews.  The letters to and from her and Jerome Robbins are fascinating.  I urge everyone to see this movie if they can.  Hopefully it will be available.

Thanks Vipa, I hope it does go into some kind of general release, or at least ends up on DVD quickly so those of us outside NYC can have a look.  ;)

#4 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

In case anyone miss it or not available in your area, it will be broadcasted on PBS American Masters later this year.

#5 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:31 PM

Saw the film today and enjoyed seeing the Le Clercq footage... Such a beautiful dancer. Seeing the iron lung brought home the terror, and there were aspects of the story I had not considered... such as the fear among the other dancers that they might have caught it, and living in Balanchine's world no longer able to participate.

The talk about the partnering in Agon left me a little unsure. Was that the first time Balanchine used that kind of manipulation? Is the tall girl in Rubies more of the same? It is interesting but do I buy it? Not sure... What do others think?

I thought I had heard something about Balanchine not wanting La Valse to be performed for a long time because of Le Clercq, but can find no mention of this and it seems Le Clercq coached McBride in a 1962 revival. The film brought up La Valse over & over but made no mention of this either, so I'm wondering if the rumor was baseless?

There was a close up of a pointe shoe worn with an elastic segment in the ribbon... Were dancers doing this already back in Le Clercq's day? I thought it was a more recent development.

It was lovely to walk past Lincoln Center plaza lit through the snowfall this evening and see only a single frozen strip across the stairs' digital readout... "Afternoon of a Faun: Tanaquil LeClercq"

#6 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

For those of you in the Hartford area, this film will be shown at Cinestudio March 16-18:

http://www.cinestudi...urrent-schedule

#7 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

Thank you!!!

#8 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:06 AM

Here are screening dates for the next couple of months. I subscribed to the facebook page in the hope that they would alert me to upcoming screenings in Toronto, but they didn't (only found out by accident yesterday that it's screening here now!).
California
Laemmle Music Hall 3 Los Angeles CA April 18th 24th
Landmark La Jolla Village Cinemas La Jolla CA April 18th 24th
Hawaii
Honolulu Museum of Art Honolulu HI 04/20, 04/22, & 04/27 ONLY
Illinois
Northwestern University Evanston IL May 16th ONLY
Massachusetts
Coolidge Corner Theatre Brookline MA May 16th 22nd
New Mexico
Harwood Museum of Art Taos NM May 9th 10th
New York
Rivertown Film Society Nyack NY June 11th ONLY
Ontario
Bloor Cinema Toronto ON April 18th 24th

Texas
Museum of Fine Arts, Houston Houston TX 05/24-26 & 5/30-6/1 ONLY
Washington
Landmark Varsity Theatre Seattle WA April 25th May 1st

The link to screenings page is here:
http://www.afternoon...screenings.html

#9 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:39 AM

The talk about the partnering in Agon left me a little unsure. Was that the first time Balanchine used that kind of manipulation? 

I can't remember the source off-hand, but I read that he was influenced by the physical therapy exercises she was getting for the polio and used some of that in Agon. Have others heard that?

I assume everybody knows that the DVD is available for pre-order on Amazon, with release on June 24: 

http://www.amazon.co...naquil leclercq

#10 Bonnette

Bonnette

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

I can't remember the source off-hand, but I read that he was influenced by the physical therapy exercises she was getting for the polio and used some of that in Agon. Have others heard that?

Yes, but I can't remember where I read it, either! dunno.gif 

#11 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

I found a source (there might be others, too): Arlene Croce's "Balanchine's Girls: The Making of a Style" (April 1971). It's reprinted in AfterImages, pp. 416-427. Here's the quote:

. . . tight phrases exploding like crystals in a confined space. Many people believe it derived from the hours of therapy Balanchine spent with his wife, LeClercq. . . (p. 418)

#12 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

I found a source (there might be others, too): Arlene Croce's "Balanchine's Girls: The Making of a Style" (April 1971). It's reprinted in AfterImages, pp. 416-427. Here's the quote:

. . . tight phrases exploding like crystals in a confined space. Many people believe it derived from the hours of therapy Balanchine spent with his wife, LeClercq. . . (p. 418)

In the film it's Arthur Mitchell who discusses it.

#13 Bonnette

Bonnette

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

Thank you, California, that is very helpful. I initially read about the Agon/therapy/choreography connection in either an online review of the film or interview with Nancy Buirski, but darned if I can find the source now! 

From a different angle, there's a review of the film that refers to Balanchine creating movements for Tanny to use as part of her Pilates-based therapy. Consumed as he was by the desire to rehabilitate her, it would be surprising (to me, anyway) if that drive didn't find expression in specific choreography (as Croce suggests, above). Here's a link to the review: http://m.theepochtim...n-movie-review/

Edited to add: I just saw sandik's post - good to know it's discussed in the film.

#14 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

Edited to add: I just saw sandik's post - good to know it's discussed in the film.

Actually, about two-thirds of the film is devoted to LeClercq's polio, and her life after retirement from the stage.  I thought, watching it, that it was her polio rather than her dancing that really engaged the film-maker, who presents it as dramatically as she can; although there's more than enough quite marvelous dancing to be seen in the film to make buying the DVD worthwhile, too much of that has an interfering voice-over. 

Don't get me wrong, the content of the voice-over often struck me as very good and sometimes wise (in the best sense), but when LeClercq is performing on screen, I want to get all I can of that.  (The narration was better when it was adjacent to the dance footage, not over it.)  But nevertheless, it was easy to see why both Balanchine and Robbins fell for her, in their different ways.

May I suggest using the box on this page rather than the Amazon link above?  I don't know whether BA! gets a few pennies every time we use the box or only if we make a purchase, but it can't hurt, and it does add up. 

#15 Bonnette

Bonnette

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

I'm so glad the DVD has a release date. Good suggestion about preordering it through the Amazon link here at BA!, Jack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):