17 replies to this topic

#16 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:48 AM

I didn't find the reference to Stoppard particulary distracting, myself. And given the ballet's subject matter and title I can understand why the work of Housman might come to Macaulay's mind.

Always the master of the put-down he reflects on Scarlett's "cherubic, curly haired, wide-eyed puckishness"-

Respectfully, atm711, I tend to agree with those who have said that this wasn't intended as a put-down.

It's also a trope I've seen in other profiles of artists (e.g., "Some not familiar with his work might find it hard to imagine, given X's cherubic face, bright eyes, and cheerful outlook, that in his writing he is preoccupied with the grimmest of subjects, torture and murder." )

I took it as a tactic employed by a writer on deadline in search of a lede in the wee hours of the morning, and nothing more sinister than that. Were McCauley writing on a different schedule, I suspect (or at least I hope) he'd jettison some of the tools he relies on to crank out timely copy. 

Except that, knowing Scarlett's previous work, he may have written that lede provisionally before he even saw the ballet. Anyhow, I've enjoyed this discussion. Love Macaulay (I do) or hate him, he's always interesting.

#17 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

Apollinaire Scherr's review of Acheron is now up on the Financial Times' website here.

#18 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,214 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

Oh, I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with it, only that I'd seen it before. Not a big reflection on Macaulay's writing either way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):